Advice for Newbies Topic

Thank you, great job, this should be pinned.
1/6/2014 1:17 PM
thanks contrarian23  i really appreaciate the depth of information provided in this thread
1/6/2014 4:15 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by akurei on 1/6/2014 5:55:00 PM (view original):
If I already picked a bad team, what can be done to not be in the bottom 3 of the league throughout?
You've made a very common mistake that beginners make. What I see is that you've drafted quantity over quality. (too many innings pitched and too many plate appearances). To recover, although it is probably too late, check the waiver wire and start dumping what you have for high priced, hall of fame type players.  In a 160 cap league you should only draft the best of the best players in the history of the game. READ THIS THREAD.  IT'S ALL HERE. This is an exceptional thread that is well done. It's unbiased and what I've stated is already here. GoodLuck.
1/7/2014 1:41 PM (edited)
Thanks for taking the time to help out the community, especially those newer to the SIM.  It's a good refresher for even old dogs like me.
1/7/2014 5:35 PM
I was always confused about this: under  Player Hierarchies should we put our starters under the 1 column?
1/9/2014 1:33 PM
This is the best newb advice I have ever read.  Well done.
1/9/2014 11:48 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 1/9/2014 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chisox378 on 1/9/2014 1:33:00 PM (view original):
I was always confused about this: under  Player Hierarchies should we put our starters under the 1 column?

If you mean the "player rest" hierarchy, then the answer is It doesn't really matter.  Sparky uses the player hierarchies when the starter needs to be rested for some reason.  If he looks at the list and the first player is that same player, he'll just move on to the next one.

Ok I think I got it, thank you again!
1/10/2014 9:52 AM
Great post contrarian23.......I've been on this site for 10 years and still learned a lot from this thread...
1/13/2014 6:57 PM (edited)
Forgive me if I missed this topic explained in your outline (which has been invaluable thus far), but I'm wondering how much attention I need to pay to the % for my players.  What I mean is if I hover over their stamina rating it will tell me that a player is on pace for 3% more PAs or 5% more IP and that they are overworked.  Do I need to keep that number in a certain range?  What happens when I get a player that is %15 or more over his allotted PAs or IPs?

Thanks, 

RDP
1/24/2014 8:16 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The person who was studying defense the most that I know of was our late friend pfattkatt.
3/7/2014 10:26 AM
Range +/- plays
To the left is a chart estimating the expected +/- plays in a full season
A+ 30   for OF, 3B, 2B, SS,1B. Keep in mind that ballpark, salary cap, quality
A 25   of pitchers, fatigue, etc can influence these numbers.
A- 20   Unless you play a catcher out of position, don't expect any +/- plays.
B+ 15   Fielding grades for 1B and C are almost meaningless. In general,
B 10   neither will make many errors.
B- 5    
C+ 0    
C -6    
C- -12    
D+ -18    
D -24    
D- -30    
3/10/2014 7:14 PM
All I would add is to remember that A+ and D- are very big categories: the difference between someone who is barely D- and a truly abysmal D- (and a barely A+ fielder and A++++) is huge.  Just looking at O, RRF for A+ varies from 3.69 to 2.81; D-, 1.75 to 0.  Not all A+ and D- are created equal.
6/10/2014 12:49 AM
I wouldn't say C fielding in meaningless.....a poor/non-existant fielding C will get a TON of passed balls......The C has to be BAD for this to happen, but it does happen.   
11/26/2014 8:57 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Advice for Newbies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.