Coors Field Cookies? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I won't answer your question directly, but as someone who has played many seasons in Coors, one thing to realize is that Coors is not an HR park the same way AFCS or Yankee Stadium are.

I would field HR teams and lead the league in runs, but the disparity between home and road scoring was huge. We'd be way out in front at home, but in the middle of the pack on the road. I replaced some thumpers with speedsters: they performed big in Coors and on the road, and my teams moved into the top tier on the road.

Anyone who would be great in Kauffman or Yankee should be great in Coors, and having balance will be helpful on the road.

My best example is when I used '80 Miguel Dilone.  He led the league in batting (.400!) and slugged over .500 despite having only one home run. 

7/10/2014 8:24 PM (edited)
It's not about the hitting, it is about the pitching at Coors.  Draft pitchers with low K-rates and a middle infield that will convert ground balls into double plays.
7/11/2014 12:48 AM
hehe I'd tell you but there is a decent chance I play in the same league as you
7/11/2014 9:29 AM
1 cookie that should definitely be avoid'd @ Coor's Field, is the 1
that tastes like it's made from US Govt issued peanut butter...

My kids threw theirs into the visiting Padres bullpen...

They did like the chocolate chip 1's though, if that helps U make
a choice, the next time U are in Denver... Seriously...

7/11/2014 9:48 AM
Actually, seels, I don't see you on the list. Zub, do you have a short list of your favorite pitchers for Coors? How important is it that the pitcher is also a good hitter? Are there any mid-level pitchers I can save money on who will be adequate, or will I always be risking a double-digit ERA if I compromise on talent?
7/11/2014 11:18 AM
Posted by zubinsum on 7/11/2014 12:48:00 AM (view original):
It's not about the hitting, it is about the pitching at Coors.  Draft pitchers with low K-rates and a middle infield that will convert ground balls into double plays.
Low HR#
7/11/2014 7:03 PM
Posted by teaparty on 7/11/2014 7:03:00 PM (view original):
Low HR#
Yeah, that too.
7/11/2014 10:57 PM
I've never really used a Coors team, but wouldn't you want a pitcher with high K-rates in Coors?  Coors isn't just +HR, but +1B/2B/3B as well, wouldn't a low-K pitcher cause more balls to be put into play, thus more balls having the chance of becoming a hit?  
7/11/2014 11:33 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 7/11/2014 11:33:00 PM (view original):
I've never really used a Coors team, but wouldn't you want a pitcher with high K-rates in Coors?  Coors isn't just +HR, but +1B/2B/3B as well, wouldn't a low-K pitcher cause more balls to be put into play, thus more balls having the chance of becoming a hit?  
Yes low-K pitcher see more balls put in play.  However, because the decision tree used by WIS, determines an out before the type of out, more balls in-play do hot result in more hits, unless your defense makes a minus play.

Here is an outline of the decision tree:

PA
Is there an unusual event (passed ball, wild pitch, stolen base, caught stealing or sacrifice hit) or is it a normal PA?
If it is a normal PA, is the batter hit by a pitch (HBP)?
If there is no HBP,  is the a base on balls (BB)?
If it is an AB (no BB), is it a hit or an out?*

*If the AB is a hit, is the hit a home run (HR)?
If the AB is a hit in play (not a HR), is there a plus play (an exceptional defensive play to take a hit or base away)?
If there is no plus play, is the hit a 1B, 2B, or 3B?

*If the AB is an out, is the out a strike out (K) or out-in-play?
If the AB is an out-in-play, is there an error, minus play (poor defensive play) or a regular out?
7/13/2014 1:46 PM
then what does a +3 singles stadium add?  I always thought that a +singles turned outs into hits
7/13/2014 3:21 PM
Posted by chargingryno on 7/13/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
then what does a +3 singles stadium add?  I always thought that a +singles turned outs into hits
I am unsure of the exact percentages, but yes, +3 singles parks turn would-be-outs (at a neutral park) into hits.

But again, since an out is determined before a K-out, K-rate has no effect on hits (or average) other than inducing more minus plays.
7/13/2014 11:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Thanks both of you Zubin and booger - a very clear explanation about Coors and more. Nicely done. 
7/14/2014 7:53 AM
Nice to see you too Boog!
7/17/2014 2:23 AM
12 Next ▸
Coors Field Cookies? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.