team with a79-83 record makes championship bid Topic

MLB109287. We had a 16 team 50s league. My team tied for first with 79-83 record. I won the one game play off for the division crown. LCS was vs ligapelota, one of the top couple owners on sim. He pulled ahead 3 games to one. Some how I came back with 3 straight to advance to the world series. Up 2 games to 0 and 3-2, still the world series went to game 7. 6-6 in the ninth, and finally I score 4 to win an unlikely championship.
8/12/2014 2:04 PM
what's your lowest win total to win it all?
8/12/2014 2:23 PM
Here is mine: 

Well, we lost that World Series in the SS/HH progressive league - congratulations to twfan and his Bay Bugs, who beat us in 6. 

BUT....

The Philadelphia Weavers won the National League Pennant and played in the World Series after having had a regular season record of 72-90 which went to 73-90 after a division title tie-breaker. 

So, my question: what are the fewest wins for a team that plays in the World Series that anyone here recalls or has had play ? 

About this team and how we made it even that far: (links below)

There was a great three-way race toward the end of the season, three teams with losing records all within a few games of each other. To win the divisions we won 4 straight against the team that had led the division most of the season and then, with 4 games to go split 2 against the other contending team, Teapot Dome and Washington which left them just behind and us in a tie with STEEL CITY, whom we had just swept in 4 to stay alive (we had the division wrapped up in the 8th inning of the last game of the season, but we blew a lead to Teapot Dome and STEEL CITY game back to win). 

So a tie. We win the tie-breaker, 5th straight improbable win against the same team. Then we won in 5 against the 118 win (!) Three Rivers. Then we won in 7 games, winning three straight, after going down 3-1 against a fine Radio City game. 

The need to keep regulars going full tilt without rest, play the tie-breaker and go the distance in two playoffs is why for example Grover Cleveland Alexander was out of IP by the time of Series (see the thread about fatigue in postseason I posted a few days ago). Catcher Wally Schang was at 91% and SS Travis Jackson, who made errors by the basketful in the post-season at 93% and sinking. These were all stars of the team. 

So winning the series was unlikely. But we gave it our best shot. 

The league is MLB104161. 

Here is the team: 

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerstats.asp?teamid=1175594

8/12/2014 5:25 PM
I had a start and a few relief appearances by 85 fatigue in a couple key play off games. I figured a good starter at 85 was better than 95 for a poor pitcher with it all on the line.
8/12/2014 5:37 PM (edited)
Posted by sjh0825 on 8/12/2014 2:23:00 PM (view original):
what's your lowest win total to win it all?
76 win world series winner in an OL.
8/14/2014 9:25 AM
cool
8/19/2014 9:57 PM
I won a World Series with an 80-82 record with an all Iowa team in a birth state league
8/23/2014 1:55 PM
team with a79-83 record makes championship bid Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.