dynasty list index and more Topic

Posted by jeffdrayer on 8/26/2014 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Thanks, Billy! But did you have to do it right after our 3 worst seasons ever :)
this is why i want to turn it into a web service, so people can just put in the season they want to see the results from, and also, not have to sort through so many worlds and divisions of BS to find the relevant sections... 
8/26/2014 8:57 PM
i sent a ticket to try to get CBG reinstated on the forums (offered to have them burn a season off that account to get posting rights back, so hopefully they do it), so when I hear back I'll finish updating the lists, still got to do cross world dynasties and the all time ones, and then conference dynasties and longest streaks as well. i have those ran (well, most of them, but running them is the easy part, once the data is downloaded), i just don't feel like taking the time to format and post that crap when i can't finish the job (by updating the list index at the same time)
8/26/2014 11:43 PM
I was secretly hoping the streaks list wouldn't be run until Crum was finished, just to add an extra season of mine to those. Hopefully CS takes care of your posting rights soon. I'm much more excited then I should be to see them!!!
8/27/2014 9:16 AM
the data was downloaded on 8/20 or whatever so it doesn't matter when i run the reports off that data
8/27/2014 10:22 AM
Posted by jsajsa on 8/27/2014 9:16:00 AM (view original):
I was secretly hoping the streaks list wouldn't be run until Crum was finished, just to add an extra season of mine to those. Hopefully CS takes care of your posting rights soon. I'm much more excited then I should be to see them!!!
This talk of streak lists make me disappointed all over again about that crazy second-round upset five seasons ago. All that's standing in the way of an eleven-season E8 streak. Still wouldn't have beaten yours though. 
8/27/2014 10:30 AM

finished mining all the data, posted the current 10yr streaks. wife is ******** for me to go out with her to pick up some clothes for the kids, so gonna finish the rest later, ill post everything i can generate.

the one posted so far, the current cross-world and same-world list, is the "something for everyone" list. it mentions the top 50 programs in each division of each world, and between the 5, 10, and 20 year versions, 1500 plus coaches were represented somewhere in at least one list! it also has the top 100 programs per division across all 10 worlds, which is appealing to the most competitive coaches.

if anyone is interested in taking these lists and posting every season for your world, i'd be happy to discuss setting something up, could save a lot of effort, leveraging what can automatically be done today.

7/22/2015 9:39 PM (edited)
some interesting notes so far - 
i had kind of expected oldman to take the #1 spot in d1, but it looks like it was only good for a top 5 :( i am curious how much a factor world strength was in that case. stewdog and hofhof are in the top spots for d1 all time 10 year now though, which is pretty cool, those are not that old of runs they had. i was curious if jsa would take #1 in d3, and he did (i forget which time frame) - congrats jsa! you really have impressed with your d3 domination - time to get your but up to d1 to show us all up there, too =) aejones is still not the #1 spot in d2 in the 10/20 year list, that just came up a week ago, i was curious how close he was - apparently, not very (but definitely top 5). sorry jonesy, more work to do!

something for me, too, for a change - been a long time since ive been engaged, but i have been fairly engaged for a while now - had a 5 year run at kansas that was good for 3rd best ever. 5 year sections are a bit sketchy and we are more like 30-45 in 10-20yr but still its nice to be competitive again. i hope i have another year of competitiveness in me! been like at least 5 years since i had a program place remotely anywhere high in any of this crap, it seems. but more importantly the game has been fun again for a couple years, which i didn't think would happen again, i feel like im long past playing with house money. id REALLY like to get this dynasty list into a web application so people could see up to date results after every season, and see the historical view, and also to search by their name to see their ranking for all their teams in all worlds and any other honors they hold in the all time / longest streaks sections.
7/22/2015 10:02 PM (edited)
1 thing i always enjoyed that i recommend to others who are really into their conference/world, is i would go to one of these lists and search by my conference. you search for your conference-world so for example if you are in the ACC in rupp, you search for ACC-5 and all the entries you'd fine in a given thread are for your conference. that way you can build a short little post in your CC that mentions all the place holders say for the top 10yr programs at that point in time in your conference. i always thought that was a cool little thing for a conference, to see its members in the top 50 programs and to give people something to work for.
7/22/2015 10:09 PM
whew. finally. that was a *****! i hate the tedious posting of thread after thread and trying to make sure i copy all the right crap in the right places and all. i REALLY REALLY want to get this put together as a cool web app HD tool...
7/22/2015 10:45 PM
Great work, cbg.  Seriously.

It's nice to see my name show up a few times on these lists, but I definitely have some work to do still.  Jsa...I'm coming for you... ;)
7/23/2015 2:34 AM
i've done a christmas update on the dynasty lists (the data was pulled christmas day, posting the 26th). this time, i did the current dynasty lists (cross world and single world), and the all time dynasty lists, but not the conference dynasty stuff. however, i did add a BRAND NEW 30 year version of the aforementioned dynasty lists. i think when you talk, all time greatest dynasties, its really about the longer time frames. 10 seasons is kinda short, so i usually viewed the all time - 20 yr as the most important for best ever. but i think there is definitely a place for 30yr, so i've added it. also, i wanted to confirm my thinking that hofhof's syracuse program was the best long term dynasty in HD history, and so i wanted to see for myself the d1 30 yr list (hofhof's syracuse program IS the all time great, from a 30 yr standpoint, as suspected).

i also re-ran the longest streaks lists, those are always interesting... to me, at least!

anyway, hopefully this is interesting for some folks! remember, its not only about the big boys - when you look at a dynasty list, say the current 10 year dynasty list - it also contains a top 50 ranking per world. when there are only say 120 humans in a world, having a top 50 dynasty list for that division of that world, for the current term, that can appeal to just about anybody in that world. so, these dynasty lists are not only for the top tier of coaches, there is really something for everybody. i always encourage folks in active conferences to let other people know these things exist, i think its a great motivator, even for say a newer coach who is just getting the hang of it, who may be #45 in their world (which doesn't even take making the NT consistently). the single-world lists are in the same thread as the cross-world lists, just a bit lower down in the thread.

merry christmas everyone!! and/or happy kwanza and all that good stuff. i'll update the dynasty list index post when seble re-enables posting rights on the coach_billyg account.
12/26/2015 9:27 PM
also, for all d1 coaches, note that we are playing in a pretty exciting time!! there are two programs who top the 10 and 20 year all time dynasty lists, and they just so happen to be the top two programs topping the current dynasty lists. its pretty awesome - check out syracuse by hofhof and georgia tech by stewdog - they are both damn incredible programs! hofhof also has the #1 spot on the new 30 yr list, while stewdog has the #1 spot on the 5 yr list. those two programs are down right amazing! and for both to be in progress right now, in our time, well, i think its cool, at least :)
12/26/2015 9:34 PM
seble gave me my posting rights back on this account (thanks seble!), so i have updated the dynasty list index on the first page to contain all the 12/25/15 links. 
1/7/2016 7:41 PM
thx Jeff - I was just looking at St John'sin Rupp coz they came open and remembered/reviewed Jake Marley's run there back in the day, and I thought, "Gee, this is effing incredible - so that's what it takes to keep the Jonnie's A+," and I wondered how it stacked up all time...so I switched the message filter to 6 months, randomly selected page 10, and voila, the lists I needed...

(#7 on the 20 yr and 30 yr btw)
2/7/2016 7:29 AM
that jake marley program was great and if i remember correctly, holds like the d1 all time e8 run record too. you can search "dynasty list" on the search, not many other threads match it.
2/7/2016 11:25 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
dynasty list index and more Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.