Glitch that needs to be fixed (long) Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By ardthomp on 4/16/2010What about Stephen Curry with Davidson? I wonder what percentage of shots he took when he was on the floor. I bet it was about 25% and his shooting percentage was 46.7% overall and 41.2% from three for his career
But again Stephen Curry isn't your run of the mill D3 player. The guy I highlighted was to stress the problem with the engine, he's not even an elite D3 player and yet he's shooting as if he's one of the best shooters ever.
4/16/2010 11:57 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/16/2010 12:00 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/16/2010 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kmasonbx on 4/15/2010
there is no penalty for shooting too much.

It seems odd to me that there seems to be universal agreement on the original premise here: "There is no penalty for shooting too much".

While I agree that there is something perplexing going one here, Im shocked that no one has pointed out that shooting percentages, in a normal-ish distro situation seem to be highly affected by the number of shots taken.

The thing that has allways puzzled me is why these bingballers shoot so well. In my experience, if I increase a star player's distro... his shooting percentage will drop, every time. and if i have a scrubbish player who is shooting 35-40%, if i lower his distro enough... he will increase to 45-50%, at least.

maybe it is the type of offense played? maybe some players are built-in shooters and dont have that mechanism that decreases thier shooting percentage with more shots? and the bingballers have figured out how to find these dudes? maybe its the kids who average 35ppg in HS? maybe its in thier scouting report in some kind of vague way?

personally, i have found that plus defense and/or double teaming works well. i think one of the reasons for the success of bingballing is that so many teams run the press and cant DT (which, in my opinion, is idiotic). plus, the press teams are at a little disadvantage on the boards naturally and if they cant match the bingballers rebounders, they will get eaten alive on the boards with a plus defense.

maybe it works because the bingballer SG's share the minutes and never get tired? I have allways thought that this strategy would work even better if the two SG could be on the floor together at least some of the time.

Bottom line... In my expereince, unless I have missed something... at D1 this strategy is similar to alot of other extreme strategies (such as minus5)... it will allow you to pull off some upsets against more talented teams... but you may also lose a few that you shouldnt.

Am I wrong? Has a bingballer won a D1 title? I am only in one world so there is alot going on that i am not aware of. heck, it may have happend in tark and i might not know it.

4/16/2010 12:08 PM
imho, i think there "is" a penalty for shooting too much when we are talking about starters as they are often matched up against better defenders. however, it seems like bringing a good offensive player off the bench in HD, especially in DII or DIII, can work very well.

i'd also argue that this guy is a lot better than a run of the mill DIII player. if you pick the right spots, nearly any DIII player with 50 SPD, 40 PER and 40 BH will light it up, especially coming off the bench against backups. i have a better than average DIII Jr SF (76 SPD, 64 PER, 54 BH) who i start about 60% of the games hitting 55.6% from beyond the arc this season (at over 11 pts/game, so he gets a good amount of looks).
4/16/2010 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By tmacfan12 on 4/16/2010
Quote: Originally posted by chief2677 on 4/16/2010 I think if teams would just double both players all the time they wouldn't be able to shoot that well.

One: This isnt true. For some reason it doesn't seem to work.
Two: If you run the press, this is not an option.

Which means roughly 97.8% of human coaches don't have this option.
4/16/2010 2:02 PM
I remember in D3 once losing a team that played this way. I played a doubleteam with a +4 and the 2 players still scored 75 on me.

If you're better than they are on the offensive end, it doesn't matter. But, I agree that the offensive efficiency of these players is way to high with that amount of distro.
4/16/2010 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By haasdr on 4/16/2010imho, i think there "is" a penalty for shooting too much when we are talking about starters as they are often matched up against better defenders. however, it seems like bringing a good offensive player off the bench in HD, especially in DII or DIII, can work very well.

i'd also argue that this guy is a lot better than a run of the mill DIII player. if you pick the right spots, nearly any DIII player with 50 SPD, 40 PER & 40 BH will light it up, especially coming off the bench against backups. i have a better than average DIII Jr SF (76 SPD, 64 PER, 54 BH) who i start about 60% of the games hitting 55.6% from beyond the arc this season (at over 11 pts/game, so he gets a good amount of looks)
Why only start him some of the time? And at 55% I would think 11 ppg seems a little low.
4/16/2010 3:43 PM
4/16/2010 4:05 PM
That makes sense. I couldn't see your DIII team to tell of of that.
4/16/2010 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cburton23 on 4/16/2010That makes sense.  I couldn't see your DIII team to tell of of that.
here they are: Pacific

i probably should start the SF, King, more as we are 8-0 when he starts.
4/16/2010 4:30 PM
4/17/2010 9:47 AM
I tried this today with my 1-4 Bowdoin squad.

I'm now 2-4.
4/17/2010 12:37 PM
4/17/2010 12:44 PM
colonels - what if i feel the optimal distro for my team is set, and it sums to 40. am i supposed to now multiply everybody by 2.5, round when i can't, and deal with the imperfections?

also, i like to be able to adjust players independently. if i feel player X needs 2 more distro, why make the task much harder and more time consuming by making me choose 1-2 players to decrease? it just doesn't make any sense.
4/17/2010 1:59 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Glitch that needs to be fixed (long) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.