Help me understand this signing. Topic

Can I get an opinion on what folks think this scholarship message from an Italian PF means: "Family and I very happy to play basket in USA with you coach. Ok me sign now?" Coz I got that message at 11 PM last night. At 5 pm today I got the too late, signed with another team message. I get that the other coach must have put in more effort, I don't get how. I had 19k into the kid (an international) with a 2 step prestige advantage. I was clearly leading, and I get no other message until the signing.  Is this a case of boosters? What am I missing? The other school only had 3 open scholarships going into recruiting...

I had plenty of cash in reserve, which I will now use to go poach some poor lower level kid now I guess...

Guess I mishandled recruiting this somehow, thought I was on top of it...
12/1/2010 5:50 PM
If he had three open slots then he had over $50K to spend.  If he dumped all of it in there in the first couple of cycles, that would swamp a $19K investment, even with the prestige difference.

He might also have promised a start and minutes - you can either sitemail him to find out or watch next season to see if the player gets an undeserved starting role.
12/1/2010 5:56 PM
davis, no disrespect intended, but you aren't reading my post carefully.  I get that he could have had $50k, but my last scholarship message from him indicated (to me at least) that I was in front. After that, I put another HV in for insurance, and figured I'd wait it out and the kid would sign. He did, just not with me.  I had minutes promised as well, but no start.
12/1/2010 6:09 PM
I'm no expert but I don't see why the other coach couldn't have swooped in with tons of money and just gotten him. Maybe the other coach got his other 2 slots filled with minimal effort and had 40k left and decided he really wanted this kid. If he came in and piled 40k onto this kid, offered him a start and minutes, gave him a million CV's, is it really so outlandish to assume he may have landed him on the spot even with your prestige advantage? I assume there's a point where a recruit is hit with so much effort that he basically just says "Ok, I'm signing" within a very short time period.
12/1/2010 6:11 PM
I don't think $19K is really that much to spend on a decent international recruit, given the costs of everything.  I agree with Prez, if the other coach dumped a ton of money into the player in one cycle then you wouldn't necessarily have spent enough at $19K to get a cycle or two worth of grace to try to match the other guy's effort.

I've found that if you have a ton of money in a recruit, then even if another team pours in a ton of dough in one cycle you'll usually get an appropriate message from the recruit, but then have a couple of cycles to respond.  But $19K with B- prestige isn't enough to purchase that kind of "courtesy" from an international recruit.

(Oh, and my apologies for missing the point the first time around.)
12/1/2010 8:17 PM
I still think this is pretty comical.
12/1/2010 8:42 PM
Wait, but I thought....

So its recruiting time. I'm in a "battle" over an international player with a school that I have a 2 step prestige advantage over.  Signings have begun, and the other coach continues to put in effort, although I am still in the lead.  Thing is, I had 6 open scholarships to his 3 up front. Every time he gains even a little, I just throw another HV on the recruit and next time I get the equivalent of the "wish i could sign now" message, although in somewhat racially offensive pidgin.

Is there anything that I could say on the CC like, hey coach X, you know that I had twice as many open slots, or something like that, just to remind him what he should realize - he can't win? Or should I just say nothing and let him dribble away his last dimes?

Nothing against you dac, just a funny situation.
12/1/2010 9:07 PM
I already admitted as much about the comedic aspect of the situation, can't do anything about that. So I'll take it like a man, mock me if it makes you happy I guess...
12/1/2010 9:28 PM
Posted by davis on 12/1/2010 8:17:00 PM (view original):
I don't think $19K is really that much to spend on a decent international recruit, given the costs of everything.  I agree with Prez, if the other coach dumped a ton of money into the player in one cycle then you wouldn't necessarily have spent enough at $19K to get a cycle or two worth of grace to try to match the other guy's effort.

I've found that if you have a ton of money in a recruit, then even if another team pours in a ton of dough in one cycle you'll usually get an appropriate message from the recruit, but then have a couple of cycles to respond.  But $19K with B- prestige isn't enough to purchase that kind of "courtesy" from an international recruit.

(Oh, and my apologies for missing the point the first time around.)
Thanks davis, and I guess that is the case. I expected I'd have a chance to react if something changed - I'm learning, so next time I'll be better I hope :)

I appreciate you taking another look at my message.
12/1/2010 9:31 PM
LOL     
12/1/2010 9:31 PM
Epic... Just epic. 
12/1/2010 10:28 PM
Help me understand this signing. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.