Recruiting email that WhatIf sent... Topic

so in this email with recruiting tips one tip is:

"8. If a recruit is considering more than 1 school, he may tell you he's on board or that he's 100% committed to your school, but he's doing that to keep both parties interested to see the best offer he can get"

seriously? i was under the impression that certain messages mean you're ahead, although it might be close. so, if i'm in a battle and a player says "i wish i could sign right now" that means i might NOT be winning?
12/15/2010 5:52 PM
Only the scholarship messages matter.  The messages they are referring to are the HV or CV messages which can be misleading to new coaches.
12/15/2010 6:21 PM
well jet, i think there are certain messages, the top tier, that indicates you are definitely ahead. but i think the rest are variable based on the recruit. so in one case you might be ahead and in another, behind. sometimes the order of scholarship messages is totally nonsensical or at least it seems to be, so there is definitely some randomization in there either through a property of the recruit or just randomizing on the messages we get.
12/15/2010 6:22 PM
ok well so long as the "definitely ahead" messages exist, i'm content. i actually like the randomization for "you're close" messages, adds some drama to the signing period if coaches are out of money.
12/15/2010 6:29 PM
What email was this in?
12/15/2010 7:32 PM
its one i may or may not have gotten before, so it could be a new thing

Nyles Grande - WCAA Commissioner

to me
show details Dec 13 (2 days ago)

This email is to inform you that the signup period for WhatIfSports Hoops Dynasty World 9, Season 33 has concluded and the official recruiting period will begin shortly. In addition, you may start scheduling exhibition games once recruiting begins:
As the head coach of Carthage College, you will be able to recruit from 12/13/2010 6:01:00 PM until 12/17/2010 11:59:00 PM.
- Show quoted text -
1. Start low and then once you get the hang of recruiting you can try for higher rated kids (crawl before you walk)

2. Always start with kids closer to your campus (especially in DIII) - it's much much cheaper. The farther away, the more expensive it is. A kid that's within 100 miles away costs $250 to go watch play while other recruits may cost $1500 for 1 evaluation visit. That kind of spending may fly in DI, but not in DIII.

3. When searching, do not search for Top 25, Top 50, etc. when you are in DIII - that will always return kids that are rated in the Top 25 NATIONALLY

4. Never spend high dollars on recruits unless you are confident the recruit is interested in your program - save the campus visits until you are sure they are on board

5. Even more importantly with home visits - there may be situations where you spend for a home visit and the recruit blows you off - you will NOT get your money back in that situation

6. If there is already a school on the recruits considering list, plan on spending at least double what you would spend if the kid is 'undecided' - you could get into a recruiting war with another school

7. If the recruit is considering a school in a higher division, e.g. DII or DI - move on, you'll have very little shot or try to wait it out - some higher level schools will contact lower level recruits as 'backups' in case their primary targets don't sign

8. If a recruit is considering more than 1 school, he may tell you he's on board or that he's 100% committed to your school, but he's doing that to keep both parties interested to see the best offer he can get

9. Never let your budget fall below $100 - otherwise you can't even offer scholarships

10. Be patient - there is a reason the recruiting period is 5 days long, don't blow all of your money in the first 2 days - take your time and let the recruits tell you what they want
12/15/2010 7:36 PM
One thing to remember about the replies are that for all but the scholarship offers, they come at the exact time the visit happens.  So, you could be ahead or behind at that time, but after other events are processed you could easily drop behind. 

If you just had 3 visits in a row processed, he will be very happy about you at that point in time.  When TeamB gets 5 processed, he is not nearly as happy with you, but he sent you his last reply (at your last visit) before any of TeamB's efforts were processed ... therefore you and TeamB both have good responses from the recruit ... but he really likes TeamB more.

The scholarship offer reply, however, is at the end of ALL processing for a turn.  That makes it a true representation of the situation at the end of the turn.  That is why it is accurate while all the other responses are not necessarily accurate.
12/16/2010 8:36 AM (edited)
I thought now if you offered a home visit and it was rejected that you get that money back....
12/17/2010 5:51 AM
Posted by getbedarded on 12/17/2010 5:51:00 AM (view original):
I thought now if you offered a home visit and it was rejected that you get that money back....
it can happen both ways. i usually get my money back.
12/17/2010 7:58 AM
Posted by jetwildcat on 12/15/2010 7:36:00 PM (view original):
its one i may or may not have gotten before, so it could be a new thing

Nyles Grande - WCAA Commissioner

to me
show details Dec 13 (2 days ago)

This email is to inform you that the signup period for WhatIfSports Hoops Dynasty World 9, Season 33 has concluded and the official recruiting period will begin shortly. In addition, you may start scheduling exhibition games once recruiting begins:
As the head coach of Carthage College, you will be able to recruit from 12/13/2010 6:01:00 PM until 12/17/2010 11:59:00 PM.
- Show quoted text -
1. Start low and then once you get the hang of recruiting you can try for higher rated kids (crawl before you walk)

2. Always start with kids closer to your campus (especially in DIII) - it's much much cheaper. The farther away, the more expensive it is. A kid that's within 100 miles away costs $250 to go watch play while other recruits may cost $1500 for 1 evaluation visit. That kind of spending may fly in DI, but not in DIII.

3. When searching, do not search for Top 25, Top 50, etc. when you are in DIII - that will always return kids that are rated in the Top 25 NATIONALLY

4. Never spend high dollars on recruits unless you are confident the recruit is interested in your program - save the campus visits until you are sure they are on board

5. Even more importantly with home visits - there may be situations where you spend for a home visit and the recruit blows you off - you will NOT get your money back in that situation

6. If there is already a school on the recruits considering list, plan on spending at least double what you would spend if the kid is 'undecided' - you could get into a recruiting war with another school

7. If the recruit is considering a school in a higher division, e.g. DII or DI - move on, you'll have very little shot or try to wait it out - some higher level schools will contact lower level recruits as 'backups' in case their primary targets don't sign

8. If a recruit is considering more than 1 school, he may tell you he's on board or that he's 100% committed to your school, but he's doing that to keep both parties interested to see the best offer he can get

9. Never let your budget fall below $100 - otherwise you can't even offer scholarships

10. Be patient - there is a reason the recruiting period is 5 days long, don't blow all of your money in the first 2 days - take your time and let the recruits tell you what they want
2 - was there once a time when an eval was $250 within 100 miles?

4 - what???

10 - let the recruits tell you what they want. yeah, that is a great strategy. especially if you sign all those local transfers who let you know how much they want to play for you!
12/17/2010 8:01 AM
Anyone wonder what happens when you google "Nyles Grande"? You get this thread. 

Also, I haven't actually read this email since my very first season last summer, but I'm pretty sure it threw me for a loop my first season. Why are they giving new coaches advice that's either misleading or wrong? 
5/9/2013 2:37 AM
If it is rejected you will get your money back.  There is the rare occurrence that he will accept your home visit, but not actually be home for the visit.  You may get a message saying something like, sorry was that visit scheduled for today?  The money is not refunded because you actually make the trip but the recruit doesnt show for the visit.

5/9/2013 8:44 PM
Posted by milwood on 5/9/2013 8:44:00 PM (view original):
If it is rejected you will get your money back.  There is the rare occurrence that he will accept your home visit, but not actually be home for the visit.  You may get a message saying something like, sorry was that visit scheduled for today?  The money is not refunded because you actually make the trip but the recruit doesnt show for the visit.

if getbedarded is still looking for an answer to his question almost 3 years later, there it is! lol
5/10/2013 8:36 AM
Recruiting email that WhatIf sent... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.