How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Nah, 60 is passable at D3 and 70 is good. 80 is excellent and 90 is elite. Rare-ish to find anyone at D3 at 90 in something (shot blocking and rebounding probably the two easiest things). 

For D2 it's like 10 points higher. 70 is passable, 80 is good, 90 is excellent and 100 is elite and rare. I mean someone at D3 can get by with a 60 in their core, but it's "average" and a 50 would put them at distinctly below average in any core. 

These are probably pretty good guidelines for successful teams.
5/7/2012 2:19 PM
Posted by aejones on 5/7/2012 2:19:00 PM (view original):
Nah, 60 is passable at D3 and 70 is good. 80 is excellent and 90 is elite. Rare-ish to find anyone at D3 at 90 in something (shot blocking and rebounding probably the two easiest things). 

For D2 it's like 10 points higher. 70 is passable, 80 is good, 90 is excellent and 100 is elite and rare. I mean someone at D3 can get by with a 60 in their core, but it's "average" and a 50 would put them at distinctly below average in any core. 

These are probably pretty good guidelines for successful teams.
Those are for the main ratings for a player at his position other than your ath/speed chart? Like a pg that would apply for Per, D, BH, Passing and a Center D, LP, SB, Reb
5/7/2012 6:33 PM
Yea, and they apply to Speed/ Ath too pretty much
5/7/2012 10:39 PM
Would you guys rather have a 65/65 ATH/SPD guard or 40/90? 

5/7/2012 11:13 PM
probably the former at sg and the latter at pg
5/8/2012 2:10 AM
Agree on that one. You can have success with lower athleticism with very high speed in a pg, especially if you play fastbreak. You need the higher athleticism in the sg so that they will be able to get open and score.
5/8/2012 9:16 AM
bump
5/16/2012 11:15 PM
Can we talk about scoring?

For post players, what attributes are important?

I am thinking 1. LP 2. ATH  and then pretty much everything else.   Good PER (50? in DII) is probably more valuable than SPD or BH right?  IS LP and ATH 90% of the equation though?

For perimeter players is it more complicated?

I imagined PER, LP, SPEED, ATH, BH are all important.

I envision the equation of to be some sort of opposed check where outside shots are the offensive player's  PER (and ATH, SPEED, BH as contributing factors) vs the defensive players DEF ( and ATH, and SPEED as contributing factors)  is that about right?

I think post shots (and drives?) have a check that is more LP (and ATH, SPEED and BH?) vs SB (and DEF and ATH and SPEED).    Is that crazy talk?   Because guards can be effective two point shooters with a LP in the mid 30's (in DII) I figure the opposed check can't be based on DEF.  Interior shots must put more emphasis on SB defensively.   

I hope this makes sense.... 

5/17/2012 11:40 AM
Post scoring is Ath and LP, almost exclusively. PER, BH, SP, might matter just a big, in that order, but inconsequential compared to Ath/LP. 

Guard scoring is Speed/Ath (probably emphasis on the speed here for scoring, but both important), PER, BH, maybe a touch of LP will up the efficiency around the rim if they aren't a 3-point shooter. Passing becomes important simply because scorers comes high usage, with usage comes turnovers and good passing will limit that/turn those into assists. 

For "important" categories, it matters what they do. If the player is not a scorer, none of the scoring attributes matter. 

For instance, in all players, I value Ath>Def>>>All. However, I make sure I find someone who could turn into a decent scorer from time to time as well.

It's nice to have a balance of players, but it's also very common for a good team to have no LP threat, so there's no reason to value LP over Athleticism or Defense for bigs.
5/17/2012 12:59 PM
Where do you put SB in the ranking for bigs?
5/17/2012 1:44 PM
I completely disregard shotblocking unless I run zone, where I still barely value it at all.
5/17/2012 11:25 PM
BUMP

This really needs to be pinned.
5/22/2012 7:31 PM
agree, but it seems like there are no moderators around to do it.
5/23/2012 1:08 AM
We need to bump this one every few days, even if we have several pages of nothing but bumps after a while.  Lots of great info for even some of us semi-vets, like me.
5/23/2012 2:01 PM
ae, do you know how to game plan with the zone? MTM seems to be the easiest defense to understand. I think I have a good grasp of the zone but I'm trying to fine tune my knowledge a bit. 
5/23/2012 6:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...27 Next ▸
How to win at D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.