A change I would like to see... Topic

With the recent updates I realize this will be the update to 'tide' us over for a while so I'm sure we'll see any further updates in the near future. However a change I think that would GREATLY improve this game is to 'de-buff' the overall defense of recruits. Right now defense is going hand-hand with ATH which are both the emphasis points when it comes to BCS recruiting. Right now it's too easy to recruit a team with 6-7-8+ 90+-rated defenders. Every mid to top tier BCS and top notch mid majors even have ZERO problem keeping at least a starting lineup chalked full of highly rated defenders. I'm not even going to get into the whole argument of the comparison to real life in terms of THAT many 90+ rated defenders....but I do believe by making 90+ defenders more scarce it'll make more of a use for 'lock-down' defenders, and studs that play have amazing cores AND a high defense rating are more of a complete package. There should still be top notch recruits, just give more variety in defense ratings. Of course this would only work if the defense ratings were tweaking across the board for every level. Just a thought, lemme know what ya think.

6/23/2012 3:38 AM
And for coaches who were here for the old engine of WIS when every top-25 team had 99/99 ath/spd guards and 95+/95+/95+/95+ reb/def/sb/lp bigs. Usually multiple of them on every team back then. Think about how much good it did for the game adding all that variety to the core cats. 
6/23/2012 3:57 AM

That's a REALLY good idea. I will send a ticket. Everyone else should too.

6/23/2012 10:10 AM
I brought this up a while ago, great athletes are not necessarily great defenders, for example look at Derrick Rose. If he were an HD player he'd be 100ath/100sp but in real life his D is probably 70ish, where in HD he'd be guaranteed to be 95+. The flip side of that is Bruce Bowen who in HD ratings would be a 50th/50sp guy and in real life his D rating is 100, but in HD he'd be luck to hit 70.
6/23/2012 10:31 AM
+1. Excellent points guys.
6/23/2012 11:00 AM
I think i remember this being talked about previously KM. I just believe it would be better for the game.
6/23/2012 7:04 PM
Great idea. But this idea is to logical for wis to consider it. Lol
6/23/2012 10:26 PM
Completely agree, adding some variety into the game can only make it more fun. Good stuff.

+1
6/24/2012 6:41 PM
Posted by dwoelflin07 on 6/23/2012 3:39:00 AM (view original):

With the recent updates I realize this will be the update to 'tide' us over for a while so I'm sure we'll see any further updates in the near future. However a change I think that would GREATLY improve this game is to 'de-buff' the overall defense of recruits. Right now defense is going hand-hand with ATH which are both the emphasis points when it comes to BCS recruiting. Right now it's too easy to recruit a team with 6-7-8+ 90+-rated defenders. Every mid to top tier BCS and top notch mid majors even have ZERO problem keeping at least a starting lineup chalked full of highly rated defenders. I'm not even going to get into the whole argument of the comparison to real life in terms of THAT many 90+ rated defenders....but I do believe by making 90+ defenders more scarce it'll make more of a use for 'lock-down' defenders, and studs that play have amazing cores AND a high defense rating are more of a complete package. There should still be top notch recruits, just give more variety in defense ratings. Of course this would only work if the defense ratings were tweaking across the board for every level. Just a thought, lemme know what ya think.

+1.  Really like this idea. 
6/24/2012 7:02 PM
could not agree more
7/2/2012 7:02 PM
i like the nba player comparison, because it highlights this point: no player in HD is ever noteworthy.

if you were asked "what player was the best defender you ever faced?" or anything similar, i guarantee that <1% would have a legitimate, educated answer to the question. the reason is part because of how the game presents itself (kind of opaque game matchups, doesn't have the interface of a fan, etc.) and part because if 100 is really the top rating you can get in an attribute, comaparitively speaking there are no transcendant, or even great, players.
7/2/2012 11:25 PM
+1 (I don't play d1, and this is exactly why)
7/3/2012 9:44 AM
Bump. This topic needs revisiting, and more tickets need to be sent.
8/13/2013 12:30 PM
Bump. This topic needs revisiting, and more tickets need to be sent ignored.

Revised for you...
8/13/2013 2:56 PM
What's interesting is that the diverse-type guys are usually D2 players.  I recently had a guy who was a 99 DEF by his soph year, but never got above 55 in either SPD or ATH.
8/13/2013 3:29 PM
A change I would like to see... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.