Jobs process needs to change? Topic

Why wouldn't schools recruit their coaches?

And why are the only choices not qualified, keep looking, and step backwards? I think certain schools might be a nice fit.

And to get declined by a school that is considered "keep looking" but has lower prestige, doesn't seem right.

Anyone else with input on this process?
8/17/2012 3:47 PM
Dislike the process as I feel there should be more movement between jobs. Working Air Force to a B- should allow to get a school like C+ Texas Tech (would love to have you).

I don't think I've seen a firing in 8 months and that's a joke. A+ baseline schools keeping coaches after numerous PIT appearances is a drag on the game.

I imagine you'll get the standard, "Well one more season and you should get it" responses.
8/17/2012 4:03 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Feel free to add something to the discussion.
8/17/2012 4:36 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/17/2012 4:03:00 PM (view original):
Dislike the process as I feel there should be more movement between jobs. Working Air Force to a B- should allow to get a school like C+ Texas Tech (would love to have you).

I don't think I've seen a firing in 8 months and that's a joke. A+ baseline schools keeping coaches after numerous PIT appearances is a drag on the game.

I imagine you'll get the standard, "Well one more season and you should get it" responses.
Yes, I was hoping to get a B- school, but would be happy with a C+.  I took a long shot chance at BC hoping to enjoy the haul of money in the ACC while ignoring the tough competition.  But I also tried the C+ South Carolina and was turned down.  Now I don't know Miss. St, Texas Tech, Kansas St. were all on my radar.

I'm wondering if I will have a better chance later in the hiring process instead of day 1????
8/17/2012 7:53 PM
Posted by jawivdotorg on 8/17/2012 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 8/17/2012 4:03:00 PM (view original):

Yes, I was hoping to get a B- school, but would be happy with a C+.  I took a long shot chance at BC hoping to enjoy the haul of money in the ACC while ignoring the tough competition.  But I also tried the C+ South Carolina and was turned down.  Now I don't know Miss. St, Texas Tech, Kansas St. were all on my radar.

I'm wondering if I will have a better chance later in the hiring process instead of day 1????
I don't believe that the later you apply in the jobs process increases your chances at all.  You may have less competition for a job, but your chances of being selected if you are the only applicant is the same whether you apply on the first cycle or the last.

8/17/2012 10:04 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Jobs are a little off - this past offseason in Crum, I was flat not qualified for A+ Maryland (looking for somebody with a stronger track record of success), but a Step Backwards for A prestige St. John's, which seems to be odd.

2 quick things I think they could do to improve the jobs process:

1)  Make what a school is looking for a combo of current and baseline prestiges.  This will help keep those strong mid-majors filled AND it should lessen the loyalty hit that a coach takes when they take a job in a BCS conference that is currently a 'Step Backwards' but they want to move up from their low DI team.

2)  Change the longshot process.  Currently it seems like there is a 2% chance or so of getting a longshot, but mostly you are shot down the next cycle.  That should change to a situation where you have maybe a 30-40% chance, BUT you won't find out one way or the other until maybe the 11 AM EST cycle on the last day of hiring (obviously unless somebody is hired there instead).  This introduces an element of risk and strategy into the jobs process, does the coach want to wait that long and see other jobs go by?

8/18/2012 7:25 AM
Posted by acn24 on 8/18/2012 7:25:00 AM (view original):
Jobs are a little off - this past offseason in Crum, I was flat not qualified for A+ Maryland (looking for somebody with a stronger track record of success), but a Step Backwards for A prestige St. John's, which seems to be odd.

2 quick things I think they could do to improve the jobs process:

1)  Make what a school is looking for a combo of current and baseline prestiges.  This will help keep those strong mid-majors filled AND it should lessen the loyalty hit that a coach takes when they take a job in a BCS conference that is currently a 'Step Backwards' but they want to move up from their low DI team.

2)  Change the longshot process.  Currently it seems like there is a 2% chance or so of getting a longshot, but mostly you are shot down the next cycle.  That should change to a situation where you have maybe a 30-40% chance, BUT you won't find out one way or the other until maybe the 11 AM EST cycle on the last day of hiring (obviously unless somebody is hired there instead).  This introduces an element of risk and strategy into the jobs process, does the coach want to wait that long and see other jobs go by?

I really don't understand it, right now over 100 jobs are listed as step backwards(all in lower conferences with lower prestige),10 or so as keep looking(higher conference with same or lower prestige), and 4 as not qualified (higher conference and prestige),0 listed as long shots. I figure the keep looking teams would all be interested.
8/18/2012 10:49 AM
you know something is wrong when just about the entirety of d1 coaches is "qualified" for 0 schools. ok, maybe 25% are qualified for like 2-3 openings, but still... those are mostly at the high and low end, it seems.
8/18/2012 11:00 AM
Coach, thank you for your interest in joining our program. Unfortunately, we are looking for a coach who has demonstrated the ability to infuse a consistent winning atmosphere.

3 jobs all the same response from BC B prestige, So. Car. C+ prestige, and Texas Tech C+ prestige.

I guess no credit for turning around a D- school that never made the NT and leading them to 4 postseasons, 1 NT, and 1 NT win, and number 22 National Ranking.
8/18/2012 7:20 PM
if you get one more trip to NT this coming season, I bet one of those will take you
8/18/2012 10:37 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 8/18/2012 10:37:00 PM (view original):
if you get one more trip to NT this coming season, I bet one of those will take you
That's a big IF as the NT has eluded me 3 times as I have been in first 4 out twice and next 4 out once.
8/19/2012 3:37 PM
I dont understand why WIS has such a hard time getting this right. First off they need to eliminate a school's current prestige from the equation as well as conference prestige and stick simply to baseline. Also, there should only be two categories qualified and not qualified. There should also be strict formulas. For example for a D baseline maybe something like 4 seasons in the NT our of 6 or a S16 appearance...etc. Just make it the same for all D baselines, do the same for every level and thats it. Will be more predictable, will allow coaches to switch jobs and will prevent Sims from killing programs. This seems to be one of the biggest issues frustrating coaches since Ive been here and it seems like such a simple fix.
8/21/2012 11:23 AM
Posted by mmt0315 on 8/21/2012 11:23:00 AM (view original):
I dont understand why WIS has such a hard time getting this right. First off they need to eliminate a school's current prestige from the equation as well as conference prestige and stick simply to baseline. Also, there should only be two categories qualified and not qualified. There should also be strict formulas. For example for a D baseline maybe something like 4 seasons in the NT our of 6 or a S16 appearance...etc. Just make it the same for all D baselines, do the same for every level and thats it. Will be more predictable, will allow coaches to switch jobs and will prevent Sims from killing programs. This seems to be one of the biggest issues frustrating coaches since Ive been here and it seems like such a simple fix.
agreed, I sent a ticket as a complaint.   I also think schools should recruit coaches in some kind of systematic manner.  Why not send a mail to a coach to see if they want a particular job instead of letting a program that someone worked hard to build-up be destroyed by a Sim AI.  If its going to be destroyed let a human coach do it.  I think almost any human coach is better than a Sim AI coach.

Basically I qualified for over 100 D1 schools this year, all C prestige and below in lower conferences.  Given the MWC was 7th ranked conference.  All schools were considered a step backward.  Basically - WIS is asking me to remain at Air Force instead of moving up like I would like, decreasing my satisfaction with the game.  
8/21/2012 7:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Jobs process needs to change? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.