Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Actually if he transfers, you get $$$$ to recruit a replacement.... if you just cut him, no extra money for you  so you better hope your "punishment" ****** him off enough for him to go elsewhere because maybe just maybe this fictional player will just stick around to get back at you.

You do realize that there aren't just robots and prima donna's in the real world right?   You just have no concept of how most normal people react to various situations.
8/30/2012 2:25 PM (edited)
""But that wouldn't happen.

They'd get playing time but would lack in the other areas. A team full of prima donnas doesn't get those other benefits, because, well, they're prima donnas, and that doens't foster those sorts of benefits""

THESE AREN'T REAL PEOPLE!  there are no other benefits.  
8/30/2012 2:32 PM
I won't allow you to go on hijacking my thread with what amounts to stomping your feet and calling me names because you lost the real debate some time ago.
Debates are settled not empirically, but by the crowd.  *Nobody* in the crowd but you believes you won the debate.  That means you did not win the debate.
8/30/2012 2:47 PM
8/30/2012 2:51 PM
?Debates are settled not empirically, but by the crowd.  *Nobody* in the crowd but you believes you won the debate.  That means you did not win the debate.

That's a logical fallacy in debate.

You can't argue from the position of how many people agree with you or that certain specific people agree with you and defend your argument with that. Your argument needs to stand on its own LOGICAL merit.

If you successfully use LOGICAL arguments (not fallacies such as this) to defend your position against any argument from the opposition, you have held your ground. If you also successfully LOGICALLY undermine their position, you win the debate.

It matters not how many people you can convince to back your position with ILLOGICAL arguments, unless perhaps if you are running for some sort of political arena.
8/30/2012 2:57 PM
In this case, the entire debate became irrelevant the minute no one cared about the logic behind any of the arguments.
8/30/2012 2:59 PM
What's lost in all the back and forth is the fact that bistiza kind of hits on a legitimate point, which is that it is ridiculous that ALL Sophs and Juniors have the exact same, fairly narrow expectation of a certain amount of playing time.  Just as we have threads that point out that elite recruits should expect some level of playing time it should also be pointed out that some players should react like he wants - if they are a junior only getting 5 mpg, their WE will increase as they try to get better and earn more time.  There should also be players who complain and transfer because they are a JR coming off the bench.

Again, this should be scaled to a team's prestige, the same player should not have the same expectations at A+ UNC as at B NC State.
8/30/2012 3:08 PM
The LOGIC of the game dictates that, as the computer generated players advance in this game, the expected minutes per game increase or the work ethic decreases.  There's no debating that.  That is a fact.  You can argue with WIS for it to be changed, but nothing said in this thread will make any steps toward making that happen.  If you want it changed, submit a ticket and ask for it to be taken into consideration for future updates with your reasons as to why.  Done and done.
8/30/2012 3:08 PM
The real problem is that you cannot be convinced that anyone other than you is logical, when in reality your argument is entirely illogical.  The cornerstone of your position is based on a laughably unrealistic perception of human nature, so the whole thing is completely flawed.  If we toss out your fallacious belief that a meaningful proportion of athletes talented enough to get a D1 scholarship would not be at least moderately disheartened and lose a step in practice if they weren't playing as juniors there's really nothing to your argument.  Not that you've actually built all that much on this point.  In fact, I don't see anything that actually fits the definition of "logic" in anything you've typed in this post.  Your superiority complex about your logic and irrefutability is getting extremely obnoxious.  I'm a physical chemistry grad student in the #1 program in the country, if not the world.  I'm fairly certain logical thought is something I can be reasonably expected to be good at.  Trust me, it's not present in your argument.
8/30/2012 3:09 PM

Uggh, I give up.

8/30/2012 3:45 PM
dahs,

I get what you're saying about DI athletes, but the player who prompted this thread is a DIII guy. Furthermore, it's not like he's a superstar who simply can't understand why less talented players are getting minutes instead of him.

Perhaps I've overestimated the general mindset of talented basketball players and assumed more of them are workhorses than actually exist. It seems the talent level of a player, according to you and several others, is directly related to how much he feels entitled to things and takes them for granted in real life.

This, in turn, is represented by a player demanding minutes based on his class rank within the game, which isn't a perfect system to represent it by any means, but seems acceptable to several of you.

Fine. Then I shall retire my argument otherwise except to submit a ticket asking for this to be modified as someone else suggested, based upon the DI, DII, DIII schools, prestige, the player's talent, minutes, starts, etc.
8/30/2012 3:52 PM
So, basically, what it boils down to is one person upset that his junior "run of the mill" player, who isn't getting playing time because he isn't as good as someone else is throwing a hissy fit and not performing in practice. If you are worried about some scrub complaining about minutes then just (like you are doing) sit his butt at the end of the bench and not worry about him. This thread really seems like a fallacy in logic on the user's end. (Not calling you out bistiza, even though it sounds like it.) If the player isn't what you thought he would be then cut bait and move on. We have all had players at whatever level that didn't pan out. We have all had juniors and seniors that were quickly supplanted in the starting line-up by freshmen and sophomores. Virtual life's a ***** and then you are deleted.
8/30/2012 6:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.