Guaranteed Minutes Topic

I'm thinking of offering a recruit guaranteed minutes.

A) How much of a boost in recruiting does this give?

B) I have a starter in front of him with 72 STA playing zone defense. It seems like the recruit who will be the backup should get at least 10, but I want to be sure. I don't want to go to target minutes (I wish I could just for this one guy). Do you think he'll reach ten a game in this scenario?

C) If he doesn't get to 10 mins a game, will he just be unhappy or will I suffer a prestige hit?

Thanks for any advice,

Aperi

9/3/2012 12:07 AM
A) It varies by level. It means more at the DIII level than at DI. Opinions vary on how much it is actually worth. Perhaps it is roughly equal to a Scouting Trip or even a Home Visit but it does have some value.

B) I'm starting a guy on one of my Zone teams with a 90 STA and his backup is averaging over 12 mpg, so your guy definitely should be over 10 mpg for sure. Just be sure the starter is set to Fairly Fresh and your guy is in the #2 spot on the depth chart.

C) If you break your promise, there is a good chance the player will transfer. You will take a fair hit if that happens. I believe it is half a grade (eg. A to B+) but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe another coach can confirm.
9/3/2012 2:45 AM
Thanks Weena
9/3/2012 3:13 AM
Does the actual prestige take a hit? Or just rep?
9/3/2012 3:28 AM
Posted by pjbrankin on 9/3/2012 3:28:00 AM (view original):
Does the actual prestige take a hit? Or just rep?
Just your rep
9/3/2012 9:30 AM
Can you redshirt a guy his first year if you've guaranteed him minutes?  Sounds like a stupid question I know but I swear I've heard of people doing it. 
2/20/2013 9:18 PM
Posted by timbo71 on 2/20/2013 9:18:00 PM (view original):
Can you redshirt a guy his first year if you've guaranteed him minutes?  Sounds like a stupid question I know but I swear I've heard of people doing it. 
you used to be able to do this and get around the promise. they closed that loophole. you might still be able to redshirt, but I believe the kid will complain about not starting. (Not sure if he will refuse the redshirt - haven;t tried since they closed the loophole)

ETA: found it:

12/30/2009

• Closed the loophole of redshirting a player to avoid fulfilling recruiting promises. Players who were promised minutes or a starting spot will always be angry now if a coach redshirts them. Also, redshirted players will now be included in the pool of players who may complain if they're not getting their promised minutes/starting spot.
2/20/2013 9:20 PM
Guaranteed Minutes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.