I am a successful veteran HD coach who will be conducting an IQ study under this user name. I will be using a D3 team in Knight (York) and attempting to recruit well and do everything else in order to make the NT and compete for a title, except practice team defense and offense. There will always be 0 minutes in team practice.

The reason I am doing this is because there is a lot of confusion over the value of IQ. Even between top-level coaches. Many of us have seen the freshman that came in and performed very well with a D- IQ (I know this is small sample size). I have also heard stories of coaches winning the National title with a team full of C IQs.

Hopefully this study will give us all a better understanding of IQ and it's value in this game. I will post updates periodically and let everyone know how it is going so that we can analyze the data together.

I am running a Motion/Man-to-Man defense.

Starting IQs
IQs after 7 games
IQs after 14 games

10/3/2012 7:23 PM (edited)
*Hopefully no one sees this as a failure to field a competitive team, as I firmly believe I will be able to make the post season with this team.
9/16/2012 1:49 PM
I'm of the opinion you won't be able to make any kind of postseason tournament with no IQ.  I will be interested in the results, though, I hope you keep us updated.
9/16/2012 2:05 PM
Will you be disclosing who you are?
9/16/2012 2:07 PM
Posted by caesari on 9/16/2012 2:07:00 PM (view original):
No, i don't feel it is relevant. This is only about the study. 
9/16/2012 2:32 PM
Posted by robotdevil on 9/16/2012 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by caesari on 9/16/2012 2:07:00 PM (view original):
No, i don't feel it is relevant. This is only about the study. 
It's very relevant.  Veteran coach or not, there are certain coaches who are simply better than others at this game.  If you were to take the best of the best (OR, Lostmyth, BillyG for example) and they were unable to win under these parameters, it would tell me a whole lot more than if some random "veteran" coach was unable to accomplish the same feat.  No offense meant, by the way.
9/16/2012 2:58 PM
Agree with Emy, simply being a veteran coach doesn't mean you're a successful veteran coach. 
9/16/2012 3:02 PM
If it was me, this expiriment would have a lot less credibility. So, although you are most likely better than me, it can give you credibility.
9/16/2012 3:04 PM
This study will take at least a few months in real-time. I will let the quality of team that is put together speak for itself. This is a study I have been wanting to do for a while, so I personally am interested in the results and figured why not share the results with the community. I'm sure there are many out there who will be interested even if their is a variable thrown in (coach ability).
9/16/2012 3:30 PM (edited)
Am curious to see results.....others argue game planning (which I am sure carries alot of weight), but if he says he is a vet I assume has basic game planning.

Please Post results
9/16/2012 3:31 PM
Do you plan to control the starting IQ of your recruits? A freshman coming in with a D+/C- will have a huge advantage over a frosh with an F.

Will this be a 3 or 4 season study to allow evaluation based strictly on recruits you bring in?

What O&D will you play? Will consideration be given to the learning curve and knowledge requirements of the various O's and D's? For example, it is said that it is easier to win with lower IQ in Zone than in Press.
9/16/2012 4:13 PM
Posted by Weena on 9/16/2012 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Do you plan to control the starting IQ of your recruits? A freshman coming in with a D+/C- will have a huge advantage over a frosh with an F.

Will this be a 3 or 4 season study to allow evaluation based strictly on recruits you bring in?

What O&D will you play? Will consideration be given to the learning curve and knowledge requirements of the various O's and D's? For example, it is said that it is easier to win with lower IQ in Zone than in Press.
I do not plan to control the starting IQ of the recruits. I agree that a freshman with a C- will have a big advantage over an F freshman. However, if I'm running a motion offense and 10 players on the team have a F/D- and couple have a D+/C- i think overall we can agree that should be pretty bad for the motion offense. The reason I am not excluding some guys that might come in with knowledge in a specific OFF/DEF is because that will start to exclude a lot of talented players that I will need to compete and also I will be switching offenses at any time depending on the strengths of my players. So in truth i have no idea what offense/defense I will be running.

This study will be at least 4 seasons and maybe as many as 10 depending on the results. 

In the beginning i will be running zone, due to the fact i will have a young team and probably only 8 or 9 available players to work with. The offense will be slowdown because of the lack of players and either flex/motion/triangle depending on the strengths of the players. Eventually when the team is mature we might run fast break or press, if i feel that gives us an advantage based on depth/stamina/skills.

9/16/2012 4:35 PM
I'll be watching. What world are you testing in?
9/16/2012 4:44 PM
I think switching the offenses and defenses is a mistake, for two reasons:

1. My guess is that, if you stick with one o/d combo, your players will progress at least a little bit in IQ. This will give us some insight into "baseline" IQ growth due to starts / PT. This is useful info in and of itself. If you switch around, you'll pollute the data.

2. Switching o/d will give you an advantage, because it will make game-planning against you very difficult. Obviously, this will increase the chances that you will be competitive, but it kind of takes this from being a scientific study (where we're testing just one variable) and makes it something else (because you'll be testing multiple).
9/16/2012 4:51 PM
Yeah, I think you have to determine what you actually want to study: (1) whether you can have success without practicing O/D; or (2) trying to determine the value of IQ.  I think those are different things.  If it's (1), then do whatever.  If it's (2), then I think you have to maximize constant variables.
9/16/2012 5:03 PM
1|2|3...12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.