Experiment...failed? Topic

So, for exhibition games this year for my DIII team in Iba, Philadelphia Biblical, I scheduled 2 really bad Sim-coached teams.  The experiment?  Put my bigs (with pretty awful P & BH) at PG and SG, starting and backup, and see what happens.  I figured our defense and overall skill would carry us to the win, but I had no idea how unaffected my team would be.  We only turned it over 15 times yesterday and 10 times today.  We also won the rebounding battle (with my guards playing as forwards and C) convincingly in both games.

Thoughts?
10/1/2012 4:25 PM
What defense did the two sim teams play? I was under the impression that different defenses have different strengths i.e. Fullcourt Press caused more turnovers, etc. Being somewhat new still, I do not have the vast knowledge of some of the greats here, so I would be interested as well in reading some of their thoughts on this topic.
10/1/2012 4:45 PM
Yeah I was pretty appalled at the results of that.  Not a great moment for the sim imo when a true FR center with 1 Spd, 10 BH, and 12 Passing can play reasonably well at point.  I mean obviously those teams were terrible and I'm ok with you winning, even comfortably, but no way should it be such a "normal" boxscore.  You should've been throwing the ball out of bounds and traveling in the backcourt like crazy.

Maybe try it next time against somewhat better teams and see what happens.

10/1/2012 4:55 PM
I don't know, look what happened.  Your SF had 9 assists in one game and your "bigs" had more than the C/PF playing guard.

I wonder if there isn't something in the sim that gets the ball in the hands of players with better bh/pass.  Or maybe it was the distro?

Seems to me like the guards were still passing more than the bigs, regardless of the positional designation.
10/1/2012 5:00 PM
Posted by isack24 on 10/1/2012 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I don't know, look what happened.  Your SF had 9 assists in one game and your "bigs" had more than the C/PF playing guard.

I wonder if there isn't something in the sim that gets the ball in the hands of players with better bh/pass.  Or maybe it was the distro?

Seems to me like the guards were still passing more than the bigs, regardless of the positional designation.
 So your theory is that who you put in which slot on the depth chart doesn't really matter?  Just get a decent mix of 5 players out there and the engine will tell them what to do?
10/1/2012 5:13 PM
What was the distro like, something normal or all 0s?
10/1/2012 5:19 PM
All zeroes.
10/1/2012 5:27 PM
Posted by jack_duck on 10/1/2012 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by isack24 on 10/1/2012 5:00:00 PM (view original):

So your theory is that who you put in which slot on the depth chart doesn't really matter?  Just get a decent mix of 5 players out there and the engine will tell them what to do?
At least with all 0s.

I really don't know, but I don't remember having a SF with that many assists.

It's possible, at least at all 0s, the engine pushes the engine pushes the distro towards the guys in the best position to handle the ball, score, etc.  In this case, that was SF-C.  I think a better experiment would be to not have all 0s, and see what happens when your crappy C playing PG actually is forced into action.

Plus, those two guys still averaged like a combined 15-20 TO per 40 min or something (I'm going off memory for TO and minutes).  I certainly would have expected more, but that's not an insignificant amount.
10/1/2012 5:34 PM
I think your memory is a bit fuzzy Isack.  The first game those two combined had 3 TO's in 35 minutes and in the second game had 5 TO's in 33 minutes. 
10/1/2012 6:08 PM
Posted by dcy0827 on 10/1/2012 6:08:00 PM (view original):
I think your memory is a bit fuzzy Isack.  The first game those two combined had 3 TO's in 35 minutes and in the second game had 5 TO's in 33 minutes. 
That's not how those calculations work.  You add up the TOs, but not the minutes.

For example, in game 2, Welton had 7 TO per 40 min and Cox had 5.  So per 40 min (one game), those two had 12 TOs combined. 

But I was still remembering high.
10/1/2012 6:28 PM
Well, part was that both defenses were a press. Might have been more interesting if they were both man defenses.
10/1/2012 7:53 PM
At least in the first game.
10/1/2012 7:53 PM
I think it's a cool idea, may try it myself.  I think it would be better if you went against teams that didn't have so many freshmen.  There are 10 on one team, and 7 on the other if I remember correctly.  That probably hurts the process quite a bit.

It certainly points to something which I have noticed --- BH and Pass seem much less important than I would expect.  Unfortunately, this is kind of silly.  Naturally, this would be a disaster in real life.  Perhaps it points to the idea that a position penalty is needed again.  Maybe not a rigid penalty, but something like PF/C can't play PG/SG and vice versa.  SF could get a pass and not be penalized.  

10/2/2012 10:39 AM (edited)
I don't like the idea of a position penalty at all.  Who's to say what a guy "is." Certainly not the recruit generation engine.  I judge players based on skills, not what HD labels them.

However, you do have a point, Brian -- this shouldn't be possible.  Maybe a few of us should try this with our exhibition games for a few seasons.  I agree the teams I chose to play were super weak.  I was kind of hoping they'd still beat us.  I'll play tougher competition next time.
10/1/2012 11:35 PM
Oops, I did it again.

With my Rose Hulman team in Wooden.  This time against D2 simmys instead of D3.  At least I lost this time, but only 12 TO's each game.  Where it actually seems to be hurting me is in shooting percentage.  And maybe a little in rebounding...but my team's rebounding ratings are uninspiring anyway.

I really don't like this.  I don't know what it means.  It has made me notice, that other than on certain plays (assists or TO's), the PBP really doesn't tell you who's handling the ball.  Maybe there's a reason for that.
10/22/2012 3:53 PM
1234 Next ▸
Experiment...failed? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.