How long does it takes..... Topic

To change offenses? Been running triangle at CSULA forever. Want to switch to motion or flex. Hate to blow an entire season since I've had decent success. But I'm ready for a new offense. I plan to run triangle and practice new offense (motion or flex) during non con, then flip to new O for conf play. Anyone done it, and if so, how painful? I assume 20-25 min of practice time for new O, taking into consideration diminishing returns. Thanks.
10/3/2012 10:37 PM
What offense you run doesn't matter that much, don't know if it would be worthwhile for you, just b/c you're sick of running the triangle. But if you really want to, it's going to be quite painful (turn an NT season to maybe a 10 win season). I would put 20 in the new offense (maybe more) and 5 in  the old, and you might want to wait longer than start of conf. play, it's better to wait till' your guys are in the C+ range in the new O before make the change.  GL.
10/4/2012 12:21 AM
I usually think of it this way: The first season of the switch you should only play your old offense, unless you know you aren't making the postseason anyway. In that case, just start playing the new offense because it won't matter. By switching your offense, you're essentially making all of your players, at least offensively, into freshman because they're starting at scratch with IQ. So if you switch to playing your new offense at conference play (a dumb idea, either switch it now and tank the season or continue playing the old offense while your players learn the new,) your seniors will now have the offensive IQs of a true freshman at that point of the season. Even though their skills are likely much better than an incoming freshman's, the offense will still be hurt quite a bit.

Also, next season, all of your players, with the exception of the incoming freshmen, will have offensive IQs equivalent to sophmores. That's how I usually think of it and it helps prepare me for how bad my team is likely going to be.

On a side note: why are you changing again? If your thinking about flex, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Triangle to flex won't make much of a difference other than to ruin a couple seasons for you. Triangle to motion? You want to spread the ball around more? I don't know, I'd personally stick with triangle where I can have 2-3 go to scorers and still have an effective offense instead of needing scoring from all my starters.

10/4/2012 12:35 AM
Thanks smokin. Well I am feeling like the triangle is leaving me behind some of the more aggressive, up tempo offenses in my conf. Truth is that my D needs more work. I recruit D, but don't usually have high rated D players. You have scared me enough to stick with the triangle, lol! Question tho, do you think I could recruit another SF or two with speed, reb, and per and stick him at PF? Trying to think of ways to get another weapon on the floor. Thanks again for opinion. Needed to hear something like that!
10/4/2012 8:35 AM
Posted by smokindavis on 10/4/2012 12:35:00 AM (view original):
I usually think of it this way: The first season of the switch you should only play your old offense, unless you know you aren't making the postseason anyway. In that case, just start playing the new offense because it won't matter. By switching your offense, you're essentially making all of your players, at least offensively, into freshman because they're starting at scratch with IQ. So if you switch to playing your new offense at conference play (a dumb idea, either switch it now and tank the season or continue playing the old offense while your players learn the new,) your seniors will now have the offensive IQs of a true freshman at that point of the season. Even though their skills are likely much better than an incoming freshman's, the offense will still be hurt quite a bit.

Also, next season, all of your players, with the exception of the incoming freshmen, will have offensive IQs equivalent to sophmores. That's how I usually think of it and it helps prepare me for how bad my team is likely going to be.

On a side note: why are you changing again? If your thinking about flex, it doesn't seem worth it to me. Triangle to flex won't make much of a difference other than to ruin a couple seasons for you. Triangle to motion? You want to spread the ball around more? I don't know, I'd personally stick with triangle where I can have 2-3 go to scorers and still have an effective offense instead of needing scoring from all my starters.

this is really good advice. and its a super-common mistake by new coaches to worry too much about if they are playing the "right" offense or defense. any set can be very successful, you just have to get used to it.
10/4/2012 8:55 AM
On a related topic, what are the thoughts on changing defenses?  Do most of you feel the same way - doesn't matter what defense your school runs, just recruit accordingly?  I personally prefer M2M and both my teams run that, but it's frustrating to bring in a freshman with an F in it but, say, a C in Zone.  I realize I'm not going to change defenses every year, but at this point I see it as purely a bonus if a freshman knows my offense or defense. I've given thoughts to changing offense or defense based on the prevalence of FCP and Press, esp in DIII, what's the thoughts of changing D?
10/4/2012 9:16 AM
With all the other things I look for in a recruit, I can't try to find all those things AND on top of that a guy who has training and skills in my offense and defense. If he ahs them, great, it's a bonus. If he doesn't, he'll get up to speed soon enough.
10/4/2012 3:51 PM
Agree with blstiza -- I recruit for potential and ability. If I can find that in a guy who starts at C- in my defense, awesome, but at best it's a tiebreaker if I have two equalish recruits that I can go after. If I'm looking at a kid, its because I want his potentials and what his ratings will be in 3-4 seasons on my roster, and by then he'll know how to execute my system even if he starts at F. (I hold offense in even lower regard -- I literally couldn't care less if a kid starts at C- or F in my offense. It just doesn't matter in the grander scheme of things.) 

As for changing defenses, it really depends how much experience you have coming back. If you have a lot of upperclassmen, just throw all your minutes into the new defense, but run the old one for most/all of the season. Sr and Jr IQ's should be high enough that you can get by without adding minutes. If you're a really young team that's Fr and Soph heavy, just throw all minutes into the new defense and run it from Day 1. The only time I'd split minutes is if my team was light on Srs and Jrs and I knew I'd have to lean heavily on a sophomore class this season...even then, probably better to look at the bigger picture and just toss all the minutes into the new defense and take your lumps for the year. 
10/4/2012 4:18 PM
How long does it takes..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.