Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

A few months ago a lot of users were complaining about a lack of changes to the game.   It’s great that Seble made some changes, but I’m of the belief that changes need to be made on a more consistent basis.  It’s been two and a half months since any changes occurred or since his last post.   This time right before basketball season, and March Madness, should be the time when the most work is being done on this game.  Instead nothing has occurred.  Just look at the adjustments made to this game in other years.  Far less has been done this year than any other year. 

I used to be part of the group that said that (blank) wasn’t a priority so we should wait on it, but now the importance doesn’t matter as much as just general changes.   For instance, I’ve made the plea on at least a couple of occasions for the addition of info boxes to help with the learning curve for newer users. Also, in the suggestions forum, zbrent asked for a notes section to be added on player pages and sable said he’d put it on the list.  That was over 2 years ago. 

The worse thing that HD can do is remain stagnant.  It is getting to the point that things are starting to get outdated.  The FAQ and Player’s Guide need to be updated.  I’m pretty sure they are the same as when I started 4 years ago.  Also, maybe I’m mistaken, but I don’t think, there is an hd app.  How can a present day game that is based on technology not have an app?  Has the signup page for hd changed in the last 4 years?  Updating stuff like that is some of the simple improvements that can made to marketing HD.  Why not have a mini-game that utilizes the HD engine to gameplan a team through the NCAA tournament every March for the purpose of increasing interest?  Is it that hard to include goal-line blitz style dots in the play-by-play?  Those are just a couple ideas and may not be that good, but why can’t something be done?  Is it too much to ask for consistent communication from management and for at least a simple change to be made every couple months?

10/4/2012 6:37 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 10/4/2012 6:37:00 PM (view original):

A few months ago a lot of users were complaining about a lack of changes to the game.   It’s great that Seble made some changes, but I’m of the belief that changes need to be made on a more consistent basis.  It’s been two and a half months since any changes occurred or since his last post.   This time right before basketball season, and March Madness, should be the time when the most work is being done on this game.  Instead nothing has occurred.  Just look at the adjustments made to this game in other years.  Far less has been done this year than any other year. 

I used to be part of the group that said that (blank) wasn’t a priority so we should wait on it, but now the importance doesn’t matter as much as just general changes.   For instance, I’ve made the plea on at least a couple of occasions for the addition of info boxes to help with the learning curve for newer users. Also, in the suggestions forum, zbrent asked for a notes section to be added on player pages and sable said he’d put it on the list.  That was over 2 years ago. 

The worse thing that HD can do is remain stagnant.  It is getting to the point that things are starting to get outdated.  The FAQ and Player’s Guide need to be updated.  I’m pretty sure they are the same as when I started 4 years ago.  Also, maybe I’m mistaken, but I don’t think, there is an hd app.  How can a present day game that is based on technology not have an app?  Has the signup page for hd changed in the last 4 years?  Updating stuff like that is some of the simple improvements that can made to marketing HD.  Why not have a mini-game that utilizes the HD engine to gameplan a team through the NCAA tournament every March for the purpose of increasing interest?  Is it that hard to include goal-line blitz style dots in the play-by-play?  Those are just a couple ideas and may not be that good, but why can’t something be done?  Is it too much to ask for consistent communication from management and for at least a simple change to be made every couple months?

+1
Very, very well said therewas47.
10/4/2012 6:56 PM
Agreed, also

" Is it that hard to include goal-line blitz style dots in the play-by-play?"

Yes!!!!  Will never forget my Hall of Fame Safety, Dustin Baker tackling the RB for a Safety in the Championship game in Goallineblitz!!  Bring in the Dots!!!  I'm visually oriented anyhow, would really help setting defenses and stuff.  Even though, I understand the text version now.  Just fun, I like Dots .. MAOR DoTzZ, then we could make youtube videos :D ... that in itself is advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBiwVbPv96E&fmt=18 - Goalline Dotz, and my safety winning the game >)
10/4/2012 7:14 PM (edited)
I don't think it is too much to ask for seble to pop into the forums a couple times a month at least. I'm not expecting him to be here 2-3 times a week like TK (WIS founder and original HD programer) was, but some frequent and consistent contact would let us know we are not forgotten. I understand that Fox is multi-tasking the programmers and they get tied up on other long-term projects at times but how long does it take to make a post that says "Hey I'm still here and XXX will be comming up next for HD.

I have long advocated cleaning up the FAQ and Player's Guide. There is a ton of bad info in there that is misleading and conflicting that can easily cause users to blow a season by following it. The Player's Guide was written by a user when it originated so why can't WIS advertise for resumes and let one of us rewrite both of these like they did previously. (coach_billyg for example)

Seble said in the last Developer Chat (June 2012) that the next big change would focus on Recruiting. He said this would include a review of the Scouting Trips process and increasing user control over the information obtained. We all know this is an area that needs a lot of changes and improvements. I would like to know what the status is on this and I would strongly recommend using a Test World so any bugs can be identified before it is implemented.
10/5/2012 12:28 AM
There has been discussion in a number of forums within the past few months that WIS hasn't been updating games (most notably to me in the NBA simleagues forums, and in comparison to NBA SimLeagues, my understanding is HD has seen light years of updates within the same recent time frame).

I agree some changes would be nice, but some of them aren't really necessary and are merely window dressing or features which work well for those who enjoy them but aren't necessary.

This question is an example of one such feature which is nice for those who want to use it, but completely useless to some people, such as myself:

How can a present day game that is based on technology not have an app? 

I don't use a smart phone or apps, so any time put into a feature like this doesn't do anything for me. If they're going to improve the GAME itself, I'm all for it, but with all due respect, any time spent adding features such as an app is completely wasted in my opinion.
10/5/2012 6:46 AM
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 6:46:00 AM (view original):
There has been discussion in a number of forums within the past few months that WIS hasn't been updating games (most notably to me in the NBA simleagues forums, and in comparison to NBA SimLeagues, my understanding is HD has seen light years of updates within the same recent time frame).

I agree some changes would be nice, but some of them aren't really necessary and are merely window dressing or features which work well for those who enjoy them but aren't necessary.

This question is an example of one such feature which is nice for those who want to use it, but completely useless to some people, such as myself:

I don't use a smart phone or apps, so any time put into a feature like this doesn't do anything for me. If they're going to improve the GAME itself, I'm all for it, but with all due respect, any time spent adding features such as an app is completely wasted in my opinion.
Simply because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's a waste. Apps make things much easier, for those of us who access the site from our phones. Things are much quicker using an app versus actually going to site on our phones. 
10/5/2012 7:22 AM
This is a bad idea! Who wants more changes?!?! Hoops Dynasty is FINE!!!!!
10/5/2012 7:39 AM (edited)
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 6:46:00 AM (view original):

I understand this argument because it's similar to the argument I made about player roles (although I still believe it would be infinitely more valuable if it accounted for potential, but that is an entirely different topic).  I didn't intend to use them, so, I saw no need.  The thing is that some people do find them worthwhile and it doesn't harm any of us who don't use them, so, they were a positive addition.  In the same way, even though you don't use a smart phone doesn't mean that others don't and it doesn't harm you for an app to be added.
10/5/2012 8:47 AM
The lack of communication sometimes makes me wonder if HD and all of WIS will be shut down at some point.  I still love the game, but I just get the sense that they don't make much money off these games... meaning they could end eventually.
10/5/2012 9:03 AM
?Simply because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's a waste. Apps make things much easier, for those of us who access the site from our phones. Things are much quicker using an app versus actually going to site on our phone.

Improvement of the actual game itself helps everyone, not just the people who use smart phones to access the site. Therefore, I think any time invested in the game should be toward improvement of the game, not on tools used by some and not others.

To put it more bluntly: Since I don't use an app, I see any time WIS spends on one as time taken away from improving the game, and to me, that is an absolute waste.

If WIS spends time on an app for HD, it DOES harm those of us who don't use it.

Why?

If there's not an app for HD, that's no big deal. Those who would like to have one can  just access it from the internet the same way the rest of us can do on  a regular basis.

However, if the game itself begins to suffer while someone is working on an app, that IS a big deal. I suspect improvements to the game itself would take a back seat to an app if they were to devote time to it, and I don't want that to happen.

Bottom line - I want the people working on the game to improve its quality rather than working on features that aren't going to be used by everyone.
10/5/2012 9:50 AM
I'm a mobile developer - I offered to write an HD app for them, never got a response.

Until people start mass exiting this game (and others), I don't think they'll change from their current (lazy) approach.
10/5/2012 9:55 AM
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 9:50:00 AM (view original):
?Simply because you don't use it, doesn't mean it's a waste. Apps make things much easier, for those of us who access the site from our phones. Things are much quicker using an app versus actually going to site on our phone.

Improvement of the actual game itself helps everyone, not just the people who use smart phones to access the site. Therefore, I think any time invested in the game should be toward improvement of the game, not on tools used by some and not others.

To put it more bluntly: Since I don't use an app, I see any time WIS spends on one as time taken away from improving the game, and to me, that is an absolute waste.

If WIS spends time on an app for HD, it DOES harm those of us who don't use it.

Why?

If there's not an app for HD, that's no big deal. Those who would like to have one can  just access it from the internet the same way the rest of us can do on  a regular basis.

However, if the game itself begins to suffer while someone is working on an app, that IS a big deal. I suspect improvements to the game itself would take a back seat to an app if they were to devote time to it, and I don't want that to happen.

Bottom line - I want the people working on the game to improve its quality rather than working on features that aren't going to be used by everyone.
You mean like player roles?

This is a silly .  An app would probably increase overall participation as new users would find it in the app store and give it a try.

Now go back to yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

10/5/2012 11:13 AM
It has become stale for me. Same old auction recruiting and maddening EEs has done it for me. That, combined with my ultimate inability to reach elite level DI has me on my last team, maybe forever. It's simply less and less fun doing the same old stuff while being frustrated with significant elements of the game. I game plan rarely, and I tend to dread recruiting, where it once was excitement.
10/5/2012 11:17 AM
Posted by deery6 on 10/5/2012 7:39:00 AM (view original):
I too am of this ilk.  HD is one of my favorite games ever and is probably the best sports game run through the internet.
10/5/2012 11:28 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 10/5/2012 11:28:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deery6 on 10/5/2012 7:39:00 AM (view original):
I too am of this ilk.  HD is one of my favorite games ever and is probably the best sports game run through the internet.
I kind of got the impression that Deery was being sarcastic.
10/5/2012 11:32 AM
1234 Next ▸
Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.