Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

I think development for some kind of wireless device support would be good.  I use a computer, but you could get more coaches from the under 30 generation with an iphone app that would boot up.  This would be fun on ipad / android too. 
10/5/2012 2:59 PM
For me personally I'd like to see some of the changes that have been discussed for many years now come into place, like scouting trips, making FB and FCP settings and not sets...etc. I also agree that the FAQ and players guide are a clusterf...
10/5/2012 3:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 2:57:00 PM (view original):
I (sort of) agree with zags.

I think if HD has become stagnant for you, stop playing it for a little while. I played for the first few years it existed, then took a break for several years, and now I'm back and it's completely fresh again (and I don't have nearly the number of seasons of HD played as some of you do).

It's a great game. Take a break if you're bored with it and come back and that might freshen it up for you.
Like I said, I love HD, but it would be best for the game to make adjustments.  I agree with gillispie that some make this too much into a personal issue instead of a what's good for the game issue.  The fact that we rarely hear from management is inexcusable and I don't understand an argument to the contrary.  
I remember when I began and potential had just been introduced.  At that time, several coaches complained about potential but now most coaches would agree that potential was a benefit.  The point is, people are always opposed to change but that doesn't mean that it change isn't beneficial to the product and help retain users.
Also, to the comment that NCAA rules don't change their rules every few months, that is true.  Rule changes occur once a year, but the game experience is constantly changing.  Cheers change, uniforms change, TV coverage changes etc... These types of changes benefit the fan experience and create interest in the product.
10/5/2012 3:19 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 10/5/2012 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 10/5/2012 2:57:00 PM (view original):
I (sort of) agree with zags.

I think if HD has become stagnant for you, stop playing it for a little while. I played for the first few years it existed, then took a break for several years, and now I'm back and it's completely fresh again (and I don't have nearly the number of seasons of HD played as some of you do).

It's a great game. Take a break if you're bored with it and come back and that might freshen it up for you.
Like I said, I love HD, but it would be best for the game to make adjustments.  I agree with gillispie that some make this too much into a personal issue instead of a what's good for the game issue.  The fact that we rarely hear from management is inexcusable and I don't understand an argument to the contrary.  
I remember when I began and potential had just been introduced.  At that time, several coaches complained about potential but now most coaches would agree that potential was a benefit.  The point is, people are always opposed to change but that doesn't mean that it change isn't beneficial to the product and help retain users.
Also, to the comment that NCAA rules don't change their rules every few months, that is true.  Rule changes occur once a year, but the game experience is constantly changing.  Cheers change, uniforms change, TV coverage changes etc... These types of changes benefit the fan experience and create interest in the product.
Good points, but change just for the sake of change is a waste of time.
10/5/2012 3:24 PM
I agree but we all know of many changes that would benefit the game, so, I don't think we're anywhere near the point of meaningless change.  

Ok I should actually do some work.  I'll check the responses in a few hours.
10/5/2012 3:32 PM
I'm able to make all of my coaching adjustments/recruiting decisions from my Android phone no problem, I don't know/see why we need an app for this thing.
10/5/2012 3:38 PM
Posted by therewas47 on 10/5/2012 2:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 10/5/2012 1:07:00 PM (view original):
1. I like the game.  It's ridiculously deep and rich compared with the alternatives... of which there really aren't any, are there?

2. I don't want constant updates.  Changes to the game should be gradual, so they don't screw up my roster and yours while helping some other jagoff.

3. App?  Okay I guess, but I don't need an app if you give me any kind of usable mobile site.  http://m.whatifsports.com.  Do this.  Or the app.  I don't care.

Edit: No, I'm not against improving the game.  Improve away!  Just prioritize and don't cluster a whole bunch of "improvements" together.

In response to your first point:  I don't know of any quality alternatives, but, like I said above, we aren't talking about a fully satiated market.  
In response to your second point:  When I speak about consistent updates i'm not talking about major engine updates.  Those updates are more complicated and don't need to come as  consistently.  Things like adding a notes page or info boxes wouldn't impact your team.
In response to your third point:  Those ideas were just things I thought of in a 5 minute span.  I agree with this point otherwise, but I just want to clarify that I meant changes in general, and that my ideas were just examples not necessarily things a said need to happen.  That said, an app or something that would help with phone access needs to occur.  It is very important that a tech based game stays modern.
All good, man.  I take your points and agree with them.
10/5/2012 3:53 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 10/5/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
I'm able to make all of my coaching adjustments/recruiting decisions from my Android phone no problem, I don't know/see why we need an app for this thing.
Which browser do you use to get full functionality?  Dolphin doesn't properly show box scores, Opera doesn't handle scrollboxes within pages well (other than box scores), and the play-by-play is almost unreadable if you don't want to scroll left and right.

I'd actually be fine with all that stuff, but what I really dislike is having to use the drop-down at the bottom of each web page to get to the submenus.  Are you using a browser that allows the menus at the top to work?

10/5/2012 3:57 PM
It's annoying, I'm not able to view box scores or what have you, but I can do what I need to do.
10/5/2012 4:43 PM
My point really is, (and I don't sugar coat things much), WIS can make all the cosmetic changes they want to the game.
They don't change what it takes to recruit, practice, and field a competetive team in HD.
Engine changes do.
We barely get a grasp of what actually works, (it takes months), and what has been removed or changed by trickel down effect from engine changes... and some noob wants to spice up the game and has great ideas of how.
Major changes drive away long time HD vets in droves... it's a fact. I don't want to have to re-learn how to play this game. If it becomes more work and requires more time, people leave.
Again, make all the cosmetic changes you want.
The engine and the current game is the best it has ever been. It's basketball, if basketball is boring... do something else.
10/5/2012 4:48 PM
They need to change defense, bottom line. Until they fix defensive ratings across the board, this game simulations will continue to drive themselves from the very 'new engine' that was put in place for a reason. I do NOT understand why a few years back when they made the 'new engine' change where ratings were essentially debuffed across the board, they choose to neglect DEF all together. As of now the DEF ratings is STILL in the OLD engine. 90-99 DEF rating for all BCS starter and most annual NT team has multiple 90+ defenders on their bench. How in any way does this help the game. Get rid of the DEF rating at Division-1 BCS if everyone is going to have the same exact thing there. Was it a good change when the new engine came out and got rid of every d1 bcs team and A LOT of midmajors had perfect point guards (90+ath,spd, def, bh, pass), you bet it was. Not only creates a more real life comparison, but also will cut out the top notch recruits from being so WIS stereotypical. I NEVER look at a 5 star's defense rating, NEVER. You don't need to. 
10/5/2012 6:37 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 10/5/2012 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by therewas47 on 10/5/2012 2:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 10/5/2012 1:07:00 PM (view original):
1. I like the game.  It's ridiculously deep and rich compared with the alternatives... of which there really aren't any, are there?

2. I don't want constant updates.  Changes to the game should be gradual, so they don't screw up my roster and yours while helping some other jagoff.

3. App?  Okay I guess, but I don't need an app if you give me any kind of usable mobile site.  http://m.whatifsports.com.  Do this.  Or the app.  I don't care.

Edit: No, I'm not against improving the game.  Improve away!  Just prioritize and don't cluster a whole bunch of "improvements" together.

In response to your first point:  I don't know of any quality alternatives, but, like I said above, we aren't talking about a fully satiated market.  
In response to your second point:  When I speak about consistent updates i'm not talking about major engine updates.  Those updates are more complicated and don't need to come as  consistently.  Things like adding a notes page or info boxes wouldn't impact your team.
In response to your third point:  Those ideas were just things I thought of in a 5 minute span.  I agree with this point otherwise, but I just want to clarify that I meant changes in general, and that my ideas were just examples not necessarily things a said need to happen.  That said, an app or something that would help with phone access needs to occur.  It is very important that a tech based game stays modern.
All good, man.  I take your points and agree with them.
Ok i'm kind of confrontational, but I really just enjoy the discussion and don't mean to do so in an angry way.  Sorry if it ever appears that way to anyone.  I've never been angry with anyone on here sans He Who Cannot Be Named Has Many Usernames. 
10/5/2012 7:13 PM
Posted by zags27 on 10/5/2012 4:48:00 PM (view original):
My point really is, (and I don't sugar coat things much), WIS can make all the cosmetic changes they want to the game.
They don't change what it takes to recruit, practice, and field a competetive team in HD.
Engine changes do.
We barely get a grasp of what actually works, (it takes months), and what has been removed or changed by trickel down effect from engine changes... and some noob wants to spice up the game and has great ideas of how.
Major changes drive away long time HD vets in droves... it's a fact. I don't want to have to re-learn how to play this game. If it becomes more work and requires more time, people leave.
Again, make all the cosmetic changes you want.
The engine and the current game is the best it has ever been. It's basketball, if basketball is boring... do something else.
I really hate the assertion that new members can't have valid opinions, but, regardless, I don't think I qualify as a noob.
10/5/2012 7:15 PM
Interesting thread and I think looking to make positive changes will help to drive more customers, more money, more positive changes. I don't use my phone much either for the same reasons offered, but I think having an app couldn't be a bad thing.
I also don't think there is another product out there right now that is as good as HD, but that doesn't really mean anything. I think most of us would agree that our democracy is the best of available option and that still allowed the baby-boomers to blow 200 years worth of accumulated wealth in 3 decades for shiny objects and a false sense of security.
I am a bit surpised by your response Zags, in that I would think the philosophy department at Gonzaga would not agree with your logic or argument. It if takes months for you to learn changes, imagine newbies trying to learn the game. I compare it to playing a game with a single child-- the rules are always changing and always favor someone else.
To me, the only two choices are a) keep it the same (the way you like it) and wait for it to eventually die off or b) find out why newbies don't last and fix that. There is a reason they choose to give away free seasons to get people enrolled and it isn't because of some great marketing/advertising idea. It's because if you pay for it, you quickly realize the deck is stacked against you and the rules are at best foggy and at worst, terribly lopsided to existing players. Either way, you demand a refund and WIS obliges and thus, the reason that this product is not advertised, especially by FOX.
If you like the sim itself, I would think you would either fall into group b or be forced to dismiss a entirely and consider the sim solid and stable. The fact that while most sports sims/games have experienced an explosion over the last decade, WIS has... leads me to believe that no one educated at GU (at least prior to the priest cleanout) would think the sim to be healthy and viable over the long term. If you understand this, it means we will all be doing something else at some point.
If there is any veteran who believes it is their own intellect that has allowed for them to become and remain successful, I would love for them to start out at DIV 3 D prestige and work their way back up to the top. I can't find many examples of that and even when I find someone "starting over" at a low prestige (no matter what Division), after 3-4 seasons, I see they switch to an abandoned higher-prestige school.
We can all argue about the little points but the big point from my perspective is that a business needs new customers to continue to be in business and it needs to make those new customers happy. A veteran saying this game is great means very little if for every one of those, we have 25 newbies telling their friends this is scam and a joke.
It shouldn't take a business consultant to understand Fox's plans for the future around WIS and to see people state that "it is fine the way it is" shows not only a lack of business understanding but also a lack of common sense. Thank God there is government and social work for those people. 
10/5/2012 7:28 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 10/5/2012 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by colonels19 on 10/5/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Which browser do you use to get full functionality?  Dolphin doesn't properly show box scores, Opera doesn't handle scrollboxes within pages well (other than box scores), and the play-by-play is almost unreadable if you don't want to scroll left and right.

I'd actually be fine with all that stuff, but what I really dislike is having to use the drop-down at the bottom of each web page to get to the submenus.  Are you using a browser that allows the menus at the top to work?

Chrome works fine for me.
10/5/2012 7:52 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Has HD Become Stagnant? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.