So is it worth it when I have a SG with a 90+ def (playing zone) to move him to the SF spot when the other teams leading scorer is their SF?  How often do you guys think they get matched up against eachother?

11/19/2012 7:51 PM
The only time I would do that is if I played a 2-3 and the other team did a large proportion of their scoring with their post players.
11/20/2012 1:51 AM
Posted by kb22 on 11/19/2012 7:51:00 PM (view original):

So is it worth it when I have a SG with a 90+ def (playing zone) to move him to the SF spot when the other teams leading scorer is their SF?  How often do you guys think they get matched up against eachother?

No, there isn't the same matchups as there would me in a M2M. I'd probably put a double team on him if you're concerned with his scoring.

I'm having an issue in my next zone game where the guy that'll kill me is a PG who doesn't score, but has 96 BH, and 93 Pas...I am doubling him because I'm not sure what else to do against him.
11/20/2012 10:42 AM
Posted by artie40 on 11/20/2012 10:42:00 AM (view original):

No, there isn't the same matchups as there would me in a M2M. I'd probably put a double team on him if you're concerned with his scoring.

I'm having an issue in my next zone game where the guy that'll kill me is a PG who doesn't score, but has 96 BH, and 93 Pas...I am doubling him because I'm not sure what else to do against him.
With Scranton?

At D3, I doubt you have the defenders to force a lot of turnovers from a 96 BH, 93 Pas player, even with the double team, so what is your anticipated benefit?

If he doesn't score normally, I'd consider trying to make him, rather than give him the chance to find the open guy and hurt you with the BH/Pas - which I think he is likely to do?
11/20/2012 11:05 AM
Posted by zbrent716 on 11/20/2012 11:05:00 AM (view original):

With Scranton?

At D3, I doubt you have the defenders to force a lot of turnovers from a 96 BH, 93 Pas player, even with the double team, so what is your anticipated benefit?

If he doesn't score normally, I'd consider trying to make him, rather than give him the chance to find the open guy and hurt you with the BH/Pas - which I think he is likely to do?
Yeah, my Scranton team is up against that. I was just thinking it might get the ball out of his hands. I'm not 100% sure how to make him try to score on me.
11/20/2012 12:28 PM
Posted by artie40 on 11/20/2012 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zbrent716 on 11/20/2012 11:05:00 AM (view original):

With Scranton?

Yeah, my Scranton team is up against that. I was just thinking it might get the ball out of his hands. I'm not 100% sure how to make him try to score on me.
By double teaming the next leading scorer
11/20/2012 6:32 PM
He's the 5th leading scorer on the team.
11/20/2012 7:58 PM
Then don't worry about shutting him down.  Worry about the guys that are going to score.  They shoot threes, but they don't have a player that can or should.  Play 2-3 and take away any inside to mid-range scoring they have.  If there is a dominant scorer double him if you want, but don't double a guy that isn't an offensive threat.
11/20/2012 9:54 PM
Wait, coaches still run zone ?
11/20/2012 10:18 PM
I liked zone when I play it at DII Chico State. I adjusted the type of zone based on the overall team average in Perimeter verses Low Post, and the + or - based on the extremes.  Since I played in a very competitive division of DII (CAL CAA) zone allowed me to beat teams with extremes.  Many times teams like UCSD and Sonoma State, during the time I played, used guard heavy line-ups with fast offenses.  Zone allowed me to recruit guys without insane defense scores, push my defense to heavily guard the 3pt line, and slow down the pace, and pull off ranked team upsets.  

In DI at Portland State now, most of the really good teams are diverse, so you pretty much have to play Man on Man and have high defense and rebounding to beat them. 
11/21/2012 11:53 AM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.