changing defenses Topic

can you just change defense after your last game of the season and expext everything to run fine or will you have to wait im running man to man and want to switch to half court press man to man
11/30/2012 10:53 PM
You need to get your players IQs up in a new system before you can expect them to perform well.  Until you can get the great bulk of your minutes played by guys with at least a B IQ, your play will suffer.  If most of your minutes are by guys with A or A-, you have a nice edge on a team with lower IQ.

There are various rather subtle differences between the schemes in terms of what will be the exact effects of weak IQ, but the core is that weak IQ equals likely losses

That doesnt mean that changing systems in a bad idea, but it only makes sense if you plan to stay at the school for a number of seasons after the changeover - to make the hard period of weak IQ worthwhile.

You can ease the transition some by spending say 5 mins of team practice on the new system for a season before making the change, but that also delays when you run ythe new scheme
11/30/2012 11:04 PM
I am doing this my CSU Eastbay team currently. I am practicing solely with the press and I believe by the end of the year I will be able to make the transition without a large drop off for next year.
11/30/2012 11:31 PM
Another good time to do this is if you have a lot of players leaving in one season or over the course of 2 seasons. The players leaving will already have higher IQ's in what you run, so you can transition your practice minutes to the other IQ in the meantime. Then when you bring in new recruits, they will be practicing the new defense from the beginning.
12/1/2012 2:25 PM
You generally don't want to play press until it's B or better.  You get murdered for low iq with that defense.  But I've run the combo with a lower press iq fairly succesfully before.  I'd at least throw 5-10 minutes into it the year before so your starters aren't totally inept.  Then load up that following season and by conference time you should be able to run the combo without hacking people too much.
12/1/2012 7:55 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 12/1/2012 2:25:00 PM (view original):
Another good time to do this is if you have a lot of players leaving in one season or over the course of 2 seasons. The players leaving will already have higher IQ's in what you run, so you can transition your practice minutes to the other IQ in the meantime. Then when you bring in new recruits, they will be practicing the new defense from the beginning.
I can't disagree with this more. I switched offenses during a season when I had a lot of upperclassmen and I have a sinking feeling it may have cost me a national championship (I lost to the eventual champs in OT in the elite 8, thought we were 2 best teams left)

If you like your players, it's worth it to try to get as many to A+ and A IQ as possible instead of having them top out at B+/A- .. and I say that having practiced 25 min in both O/D the seasons before. 
12/1/2012 8:12 PM
Posted by wsut on 12/1/2012 8:12:00 PM (view original):
I can't disagree with this more. I switched offenses during a season when I had a lot of upperclassmen and I have a sinking feeling it may have cost me a national championship (I lost to the eventual champs in OT in the elite 8, thought we were 2 best teams left)

If you like your players, it's worth it to try to get as many to A+ and A IQ as possible instead of having them top out at B+/A- .. and I say that having practiced 25 min in both O/D the seasons before. 
I made that statement with the assumption that you are not running a national champion caliber team. The thought of lots of upper classmen was in the hopes that you don't have a completely horrible team because of IQ for that season and don't drop off in prestige. I would not recommend someone who hopes to win the NT that year to make the switch at that time.
12/1/2012 9:09 PM
i realized that about the upperclass men so i switched when i had 6 open scholarships this season and 2 next season so 8 over 2 season
12/1/2012 10:57 PM

Why would you be changing systems with a championship caliber team? Especially offensively where it matters way less.
12/2/2012 8:22 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/2/2012 8:22:00 AM (view original):

Why would you be changing systems with a championship caliber team? Especially offensively where it matters way less.
Couple reasons, boredom with the motion being one but also because I seemed to have no problems finding guards but all the problems in the world finding bigs, so I switched to a fastbreak. My thinking was that of the OP, that my IQ's were already high enough and I'd be ok. 
12/2/2012 4:50 PM
changing defenses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.