C recruiting question Topic

Would you ever recruit a C with speed of 1?
12/6/2012 6:43 AM
Unlikely
12/6/2012 7:19 AM
Depending on his other skills, I would. Here is a guy I recruited that had I believe 4 SPD but it has gone up to 10 and it is now red. I did it because his ATH is so high.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2302107
12/6/2012 7:43 AM
If he had high block, high ath, and the team played a Zone.
12/6/2012 7:53 AM
His rebounding is phenomenal, his defense is very very good, and his LP should turn out really nice. However, I run the press and a 1 speed would proably kill me huh?
12/6/2012 8:43 AM
I did once.  It was stupid cuz I played press.  He had great ath, def, reb, and good lp and by the time he graduated he was up to 5 speed, but it killed my whole team speed.  I wouldn't do it again for press.  Maybe if I was playing zone.
12/6/2012 8:44 AM
Great insight dan. What was so bad about him when he played? Did he foul a lot? Get scored on a lot by getting beat back? I'm just curious because it would seem that if you had good speed at the 1-3, you might be okay.
12/6/2012 8:52 AM
My d2 press team has three posts under twenty, however one has an 83 ath and a 99 def, the other two have over seventy ath and high potential in speed. If are going to be that slow in the post in press you need to compensate with a really nice ath/def combo.
12/6/2012 10:40 AM
depends on the O and D.

I used to play zone and motion, so I had a bunch of really slow centers.

If I ran a press uptempo attack, i would not.
12/6/2012 12:12 PM
At DIII I realize I can't pay attention to all of the ratings for every position or I'll rarely if ever find a player I think is even worthy of recruiting. Players at DIII are flawed in some way; I simply try to choose where that flaw is to whatever extent possible.

One of the attributes I never pay attention to is speed for a center. If it's there, it's there. If not, I don't even let it bother me, because if I worry about it, I'll probably be sacrificing attributes somewhere else to find a center that has whatever speed I deem necessar

So yes I would recruit a center with 1 speed as I don't deem speed important at center.  I'd much rather have a guy with 1 speed and 70 plus at ATH, REB, and LP than a guy with 30 speed and only 50 in those areas.

12/6/2012 12:24 PM
Posted by bistiza on 12/6/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):
At DIII I realize I can't pay attention to all of the ratings for every position or I'll rarely if ever find a player I think is even worthy of recruiting. Players at DIII are flawed in some way; I simply try to choose where that flaw is to whatever extent possible.

One of the attributes I never pay attention to is speed for a center. If it's there, it's there. If not, I don't even let it bother me, because if I worry about it, I'll probably be sacrificing attributes somewhere else to find a center that has whatever speed I deem necessar

So yes I would recruit a center with 1 speed as I don't deem speed important at center.  I'd much rather have a guy with 1 speed and 70 plus at ATH, REB, and LP than a guy with 30 speed and only 50 in those areas.

+1
At D3, as long as you don't run a press or fastbreak, I think it's safe to ignore speed for centers and hardly care about it for PFs
I feel like it could be the same at D2, but I only have experience there with a pressing team.
12/6/2012 1:17 PM
I would use a single digit speed centers on my DII Triangle/Man team.   I would think nothing of using one on a DIII team.
12/6/2012 1:22 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 12/6/2012 7:20:00 AM (view original):
Unlikely

i am surprised by some of the answers here, just replying to the first one i see. i wouldnt balk at a 1 speed center even if i was playing press and trying to build a d1 national championship team. speed for your center = not very relevant in any way (very minor factor on offense and defense, non factor in rebounding). if you have per on your C, spd is a little more important, for offense. but for defense, its really not a big deal - even in the press (i completely reject the idea a center could bring down team speed in a meaningful way that hurts the press. even in its hay day, when press was magic, it was speed at the 1-3 that really mattered, at the 4, it was moderately useful, and at the 5, not very useful. now, speed is less useful in the press across the board, so i think its still not very useful at the 5).

some of my best centers (who did win championships) had single digit speed. ive had at least 2-3 d2 championship quality centers with exactly 1 speed, and i intentionally tried to find fault with them, but there was none (except the common flaw that bigs suck on offense). to sum it up - when i had my great d1 and d2 runs, it was ALL playing press, and i loved speed more than just about any coach in the game - rule number one of EVERY one of those great teams i had, was to have great speed, for a nasty nasty press. i was a total speed junkie. one of my d2 teams during all those championships, it had 6 guards with over 90 speed. so, i studied the **** out of speed at the 4-5, trying to get an even bigger advantage from speed. but speed at the 4 was limited, and basically useless at the 5. so all those championship teams in the end, certainly during my 2 great runs, i essentially totally ignored speed (for centers).

the only comment ill make in support of speed is, i didn't push per in my bigs either, which was a mistake - although seble has changed it, so its not like it was as bad then to do that, as it is now - and i had enough offense from guards, it never really hurt me. speed is effectively shot blocking for guards, when you have a low per big, but it might be *slightly* more valuable with high per bigs. i am very confident to say, unless you are competing at a top 10 coach in HD history level, and maybe even still then, you are totally safe to completely ignore speed at the 5, unless you have a high scoring per oriented big. like, assign it 0 points in an equation, don't even look at it. now, if its a per high scoring big, which is a new thing to me, theres value in it - so look. but 90% of centers aren't that way.

12/6/2012 4:37 PM (edited)
shush cbg, I don't want everyone to battle me for that 90 ath/1 speed big that I have been consistently recruiting at low end D1. 
12/6/2012 4:37 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 12/6/2012 4:37:00 PM (view original):
shush cbg, I don't want everyone to battle me for that 90 ath/1 speed big that I have been consistently recruiting at low end D1. 
i won my championships, so i have no need to keep the book closed :) 
12/6/2012 4:38 PM
12 Next ▸
C recruiting question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.