OT- End of the Big East? Topic

How about when Purdue loses by 40 to Oklahoma St, will you admit Rutgers can hang in that division?
12/18/2012 10:59 AM
Like I said, I enjoy Rutgers football, but every school in that division - including Indiana - has had more football success historically than the Scarlet Knights. 
12/18/2012 1:14 PM
How about in the last 10 years?

And check out the historically dominant Big 10:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21419017/big-ten-teams-led-by-85-wisconsin-all-underdogs-in-bowl-games

12/18/2012 1:32 PM
I'm not sure you're going to win this argument.  The last decade or so have been like the freaking glory years for both Purdue and Rutgers.  And yes, Purdue is probably still a better program than Rutgers.   
12/18/2012 3:49 PM
Posted by jslotman on 12/18/2012 9:25:00 AM (view original):
There are about 75 schools to consider adding before ever getting to Robert freaking Morris. 

George Mason is who I meant to type, not Robert Morris.  But even GM is a long shot at best.  I think they will look to go to 12 teams to start and possibly expand to 14 later.  If they keep it at 12, at least initially, "The 7" will retain the majority.

12/18/2012 4:40 PM
Rutgers beat Army, who beat Boston College, who beat Maryland, who beat Virginia, who beat Penn State. Therefore, Rutgers would've finished 2nd in their division, behind Ohio State. 
12/18/2012 6:51 PM
Sounds about right ;)
12/19/2012 6:13 AM

From today's "New York Post'

(This is the first time I've heard George Mason mentioned over Creighton)

The plan is that starting in 2014 there will be two conferences, sources told The Post.

One league will comprise the seven Catholic schools — DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova — plus five schools from the following group: Butler, Creighton, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, St. Louis and Xavier.

A Post source said though St. Mary’s and Gonzaga are attractive candidates, the travel costs to fly non-revenue teams cross-country will almost surely make adding them prohibitive. The source said Butler, Dayton, George Mason, St. Louis and Xavier are the top five options as the league seeks to transform into an elite, 12-team, hoops conference.

12/24/2012 6:10 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/18/2012 5:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by isack24 on 12/16/2012 10:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/16/2012 9:54:00 AM (view original):
It depends on what you mean by "coming close" to Big 10 title means.

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

They'd go at worst 3-3 this season in this division.      Their team this season has been pretty average.  I don't know if they'll ever beat WISCONSIN and OHIO STATE when they are both good  but I think they'll have some  4-2, 5-1 type seasons.

Rutgers isn't as bad as people think they are.

At worst 3-3?  C'mon.  At BEST, they would be 3-3 this year, and this was a bad year.
When Rutgers beat Virginia Tech in their Bowl Game will you admit they are better than Purdue?
I don't know if they're better than Purdue.  Maybe they are, maybe they're not.

But no one is going to argue they're - on a consistent basis - on the same level as OSU, PSU, or UW, right?  Or UM, MSU, Nebraska, or Iowa? 

So what you're saying is in an average year, they're at best on the same level as Purdue, Illinois, and new-age Northwestern and better than post-Mason Minnesota and Indiana.  OK, I'm fine with that, but you're making them out to be more competitive than they really are.  In a normal year, they are at best a .500 team in the B10.
12/24/2012 10:56 AM
Pat Forbe of YahooSports said that neither Maryland nor Rutgers earned the upgrade to the Big 10 based on their on-field acheivements.   Their big-market location was the draw for the conference. 

Among his observations (paraphrased)

*Maryland is facing a $50 million buyout from the ACC, just months after cutting 7 sports.  All the money in the world hasn't kept the Terrapins from being a gridiron embarrassment.

Quote: *"Rutgers has been in that red-ink pool so long it's fingers are pruned. In 2010-11, they spent $26.8 million more than they earned.  And the payoff for all that dough was exactly zero Big East championships in 2011-12 but, then again the conference only offered 35 of them.  I'm not blaming Maryland or Rutgers for what they're doing.  But neither school should act as if they earned this upgrade via excellence on the field."
12/24/2012 2:59 PM
In the Big East Exodus Bowl, Virginia Tech defeated Rutgers 13-10.  Virginia Tech tied for 6th in the ACC.
12/29/2012 5:28 AM
Ugh, it was an ugly game. At one point in the 4th quarter VT had more penalty yards than yards on offense.   Rutgers should have won but deserved to lose.  It was ugly.
12/29/2012 9:18 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 12/24/2012 6:10:00 AM (view original):

The plan is that starting in 2014 there will be two conferences, sources told The Post.

One league will comprise the seven Catholic schools — DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova — plus five schools from the following group: Butler, Creighton, Dayton, Duquesne, George Mason, St. Louis and Xavier.

A Post source said though St. Mary’s and Gonzaga are attractive candidates, the travel costs to fly non-revenue teams cross-country will almost surely make adding them prohibitive. The source said Butler, Dayton, George Mason, St. Louis and Xavier are the top five options as the league seeks to transform into an elite, 12-team, hoops conference.

My guess is that Xavier and Butler are as good as in the new conference.

Next would be the desire to add to the midwest footprint with Creighton and St. Louis.  If they add these 4, VCU could be the 12th.

Gonzaga is great option and I'd guess it's up to them if they can handle all the travel to the Midwest and East (an extra $3 million a year in media rights may help them decide).

I find it interesting that St. Mary's is so heavily discussed as a potential travel partner with the Zags.  They are in the same time zone, but they're over 800 miles from Gonzaga/Spokane.    Why not add Tulane as a travel partner with Xavier?
12/29/2012 9:37 AM
Posted by Iguana1 on 12/29/2012 9:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 12/24/2012 6:10:00 AM (view original):

My guess is that Xavier and Butler are as good as in the new conference.

Next would be the desire to add to the midwest footprint with Creighton and St. Louis.  If they add these 4, VCU could be the 12th.

Gonzaga is great option and I'd guess it's up to them if they can handle all the travel to the Midwest and East (an extra $3 million a year in media rights may help them decide).

I find it interesting that St. Mary's is so heavily discussed as a potential travel partner with the Zags.  They are in the same time zone, but they're over 800 miles from Gonzaga/Spokane.    Why not add Tulane as a travel partner with Xavier?
They'd NEVER invite Tulane as a travel partner for Xavier. Xavier is in Cincinnati, 700 miles from Tulane. There's an NAIA Xavier Univ. in New Orleans, however. Perhaps  you confused them.
 Plus, adding Tulane to the Big East in November was the last straw that prompted the split in the first place.
If they go to 12 schools, it'll be Xavier, Butler, St. Louis, Dayton and either Creighton or VCU. If they go to 14, Gonzaga might work.
12/29/2012 11:50 AM (edited)
I realize Tulane will never be in the new conference.  I was using them as an example of linking one team (St. Mary's) to another (Gonzaga) simply because of being in the west.  Even though they're 800 miles apart.   A distance that doesn't really lend to the whole "travel partner" concept.

I could just as easily said add Wichita State to partner with Butler, since they're closer together than Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

I also stick to the idea of Dayton not being included.
12/29/2012 12:46 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
OT- End of the Big East? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.