how does playing a uptempo against a slowdown work?? meaning im running up and my opponent is running slow
1/9/2013 2:24 PM
what do you guys think about doubleteaming also??   should I doubleteam a guy who is a post??  if so, should it be a leading score only or all the time or in the post??   same question for a point guard, whats the best choice to do if any?
1/9/2013 2:26 PM
I love doubleteaming post players that have low ballhandling and/or passing ratings, even if they're not the leading scorer. All I look for in a target is someone that has a good percentage of the offense run for them. I'm not as big a fan doubling guards where the generallyhigher speeds, passing and ballhandling ratings enable the player a variety of ways to burn the doubleteam.

On the tempo question, you'd just be racing to get shots up while the other team is milking the clock when they're on offense. In a wash, you should get a score approximating if both teams had played normal tempo, but it depends a lot on who is home court (it seems their tempo will control things slightly more than the away team's) and how turnovers/rebounds break down as to which tempo will be dominant  for the contest or if they'll negate the effects of each other.
1/9/2013 2:36 PM
i really have no idea how to decide which tempo to run... how do you decide?
1/9/2013 2:37 PM
If he has two or more fewer players than I have available for use in the game (due to redshirts, academic ineligibility, walkons, injury, etc.)...uptempo always -- I want to try and create a situation where my fresher bodies are on the court against his tiring/tired/very tired defenders. I also want as many possessions as possible so that fouls might also come into play for my opponent's limited bench.

If I have an advantage in athleticism and speed and generally even roster numbers available for both teams, I'll still uptempo...I want the game to have as much of a chance to drift toward the "average" as possible with its random number generations. If I'm at a disadvantage in both ath and speed, I'll be running slowdown because I want to try and create a situation where a few wild RNG's can skew the result. If I have an edge in either Ath OR Spd, but not both, then I have to break things down and look at my starting five vs. the opponent's, my bench vs. the opponent's and try to isolate where I think my best opportunity for advantage lies.

1/9/2013 2:46 PM
wouldnt stamina play in to this equation???
1/9/2013 9:11 PM
Posted by taniajane on 1/9/2013 9:11:00 PM (view original):
wouldnt stamina play in to this equation???
Theoretically, yes, but stamina is a category where teams tend to cluster within a very narrow band, so in a practical sense it's very rare that I actually see a disparity between two teams that impacts my decision on tempo. On an individual player level, my low-mid 90s stamina players average about six minutes more per game than my starters who are in the mid-70s for stamina over the course of a season, So for a ballpark guesstimate, I'll say a gap of 15-20 stamina points nets 5-7 minutes difference in PT per game. On a team-to-team level though, you could probably fit more than 75+ percent of the teams in an entire division within half that stamina spread. So is my opponent getting to play his starters 2.5-3.5 minutes longer than mine important...yes...but if I feel I have an advantage in Ath or Spd, is it significant enough for me to want to change my preferred tempo as opposed to my defensive positioning? I go with the latter. (and maybe that's one of the things that's holding me back in my coaching career in this game...not claiming to be right, just stating how I do things and if someone wants to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I welcome the difference of opinion!)
1/9/2013 10:44 PM
you have to consider IQ in this tempo analysis - say he has 3 guys with A IQ and 9 guys with B-.  What if you have 10 guys with A and two walkons.  You run up tempo if the ability level of all these guys is comparable.  Yes, he can go 12 deep, but all 12 wont play.  You want a faster game so that you get lots more A minutes against his B- minutes
1/10/2013 2:16 AM
I go by these factors only ATH/SP advantage, What offense/Defense does my opponent play, Home v. away, IQ, Predict what my opponent will run.

I think tempo is one of the most under looked determinants in game to game outcome.

Very interesting point about DTs Rednu.

1/10/2013 12:37 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.