Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

I am a big proponent of making the redshirt process more realistic.  For instance I have a Freshman who has played ZERO minutes this season, and now with our seson OVER he is telling me how ****** he is because I want to redshirt him....Are you serious!!!  It would be one thing if this kid had complained about PT or I had promised him something at the beginning of the year, but to Basically shun the idea of an additional year at NO COST to the player, is insane! C'mon what if sports, this makes no sense and you know it.  And before anyone says "hey did you notify him during recruiting of your intentions", the answer is HELL NO!  Besides what does that have to do with today?  As a former player, I would be ****** if my coach had the opportunity to give me an additional year and didnt!
1/14/2013 3:50 PM
I feel your pain. This has happened to me twice on 2 of my 3 teams. It's pretty ridiculous.
1/14/2013 3:59 PM
Yeah, it's very stupid.  You also should be able to redshirt more than one player a year if you want to.
1/14/2013 4:06 PM
Why are you just giving the redshirt now? Did you try to redshirt him at the beginning of the season and he refused?
1/14/2013 4:06 PM
You want to make sure a kid will redshirt? Let him know when you're recruiting him. That seems fair and realistic to me.

What would be unrealistic is not to mention it during recruiting and just assume a kid will take it happily because you're not playing him. What actually strikes me as realistic is that a kid might get upset about not playing and want to transfer, that happens in real life all the time -- although WIS is kind here and doesn't make that part of the engine for freshmen unless you've already offered minutes.
1/14/2013 4:08 PM
Posted by girt25 on 1/14/2013 4:08:00 PM (view original):
You want to make sure a kid will redshirt? Let him know when you're recruiting him. That seems fair and realistic to me.

What would be unrealistic is not to mention it during recruiting and just assume a kid will take it happily because you're not playing him. What actually strikes me as realistic is that a kid might get upset about not playing and want to transfer, that happens in real life all the time -- although WIS is kind here and doesn't make that part of the engine for freshmen unless you've already offered minutes.
Exactly. Usually the situation plays out like this:

1. Coach tries to redshirt player in preseason.
2. Player gets mad and says "no Coach, I don't want to redshirt, I want to play".
3. Coach sits the player on the bench and doesn't play him an entire minute the whole season.
4. Coach then re-offers the redshirt at the end of the season and gets upset when player doesn't accept.

In real life, instead of just refusing your redshirt offer at the end of the year, he'd say "Screw you Coach" and transfer somewhere else.
1/14/2013 4:16 PM
Agreed with the above, you shouldn't get rewarded with a guy happily accepting a redshirt because you didn't play him all season.
1/14/2013 4:25 PM
Posted by goofypook on 1/14/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
I am a big proponent of making the redshirt process more realistic.  For instance I have a Freshman who has played ZERO minutes this season, and now with our seson OVER he is telling me how ****** he is because I want to redshirt him....Are you serious!!!  It would be one thing if this kid had complained about PT or I had promised him something at the beginning of the year, but to Basically shun the idea of an additional year at NO COST to the player, is insane! C'mon what if sports, this makes no sense and you know it.  And before anyone says "hey did you notify him during recruiting of your intentions", the answer is HELL NO!  Besides what does that have to do with today?  As a former player, I would be ****** if my coach had the opportunity to give me an additional year and didnt!
Really?  Really?   You are a DII player and will graduate in 4 years.   You're really going to go to school a 5th years just to play basketball vs. making $100K in the real world?

Talk about being realistic.....
1/14/2013 4:41 PM
Agree. I ditto what girt, mrg and stinenavy said.
1/14/2013 4:42 PM
mully, most D2 guys are still thinking pro basketball in Europe or Asia, not "real world."  And I don't know what career you're in that makes you believe that the average person comes out of college with a 4-year degree and starts making $100K, but I don't think you have a very good grasp of the current economy.  Or, for that matter, any economy.  Ever.  I'm a chemistry Ph.D. student right now, and the average starting salary for all recent chem Ph.D. grads just crossed $75K a few years ago.  So good luck getting $100 with that bachelors'...
1/14/2013 5:04 PM
You more than doubled it...  And frankly, your average D2 athlete probably isn't as competitive in the job market as the overall average college grad.  Those hospitality degrees can make it hard just to find employment.
1/14/2013 5:07 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/14/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
mully, most D2 guys are still thinking pro basketball in Europe or Asia, not "real world."  And I don't know what career you're in that makes you believe that the average person comes out of college with a 4-year degree and starts making $100K, but I don't think you have a very good grasp of the current economy.  Or, for that matter, any economy.  Ever.  I'm a chemistry Ph.D. student right now, and the average starting salary for all recent chem Ph.D. grads just crossed $75K a few years ago.  So good luck getting $100 with that bachelors'...
I was thinking the same thing.  Funny.
1/14/2013 5:27 PM
Posted by mullycj on 1/14/2013 4:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by goofypook on 1/14/2013 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Really?  Really?   You are a DII player and will graduate in 4 years.   You're really going to go to school a 5th years just to play basketball vs. making $100K in the real world?

Talk about being realistic.....
What D2 level school did you go to where you came out making 100K? 
1/14/2013 5:28 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/14/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Despite the starting salary being overstated, I think mully's overall point is still valid.

And dahs, if you think D2 kids who can't even get playing time are planning on playing pro ball overseas ... then I don't think you have a very good grasp of D2 basketball.
1/14/2013 5:44 PM
OK  ..$30K starting salary .........but other than that.........  ^ what girt said
1/14/2013 7:09 PM
1234 Next ▸
Foolishness of Redshirting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.