Coaching job at Big 6 school Topic

I applied and was turned down (quickly) to coach Cal in the PAC 10. The school is rated B-, has had 3 coaches in the past 6 seasons, has had losing records in 4 of them and has been in the PI twice (no NT) in that time. I've been coaching UCSB in the Big West, had a B- rating for the past 4 seasons, been in the NT 4 times and PI twice in that six seasons and have been nationally ranked twice including the current season. Average wins over that six seasons was 24. Why am I not being selected for this job?
1/19/2013 11:58 AM
in this case I think it's more of the baseline of Cal combined with their current prestige.

It's not always where the current grade is, but also what the baseline grade is.   Their baseline is a bit above their current grade of B-. 
If you saw Kansas or Duke at a B- you wouldn't be qualified for them either. 

I would think you may be qualified for the lowest 12-Pac teams in Hawaii and Fresno.  Provided they're open and have a similiar prestige grade.
1/19/2013 1:27 PM (edited)
Iguana 1, I've taken your response and advice under advisement and applied for an absolute disaster of a team at Georgetown in the Big East.  Still B- rated but hasn't had a winning season since the flood.  Let's see if I get that one.
1/19/2013 3:20 PM
I take back the winning season comment.  The team is a disaster now after 4 seasons of Sim management but was good before that.
1/19/2013 3:45 PM
We'd like you to get the job in the Big East, but the problem is that Georgetown is a baseline A- program and you weren't accepted at B baseline prestige CAL, so I'm not hopeful.
1/19/2013 4:06 PM
Steve,

We'd love to have you in the A-10, now with your pal plague, if you can get into Rhode Island or maybe Temple. 

1/19/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by steveatdsm on 1/19/2013 3:20:00 PM (view original):
Iguana 1, I've taken your response and advice under advisement and applied for an absolute disaster of a team at Georgetown in the Big East.  Still B- rated but hasn't had a winning season since the flood.  Let's see if I get that one.
curious, but what did the agent list the schools as?  Qualified?, Not Qualified?, Longshot, Keep Looking?

btw..  I have my own baseline prestige list and I show Georgetown with a B, which is the same as Cal.
1/19/2013 7:14 PM
there does seem to be some argument over Georgetown's baseline prestige. In Knight season 1 they were an A-, they have never been lower than C and have been as high as A+.  I have always used a list that weena posted a while back -

A+ Duke
A+ North Carolina
A Maryland
A- Georgia Tech
A- Wake Forest
A- North Carolina State
A- Boston College
B+ Virginia
B Clemson
B Florida State
B Miami (Fla)
B Virginia Tech

A+ Connecticut
A+ Syracuse
A- Georgetown
A- Louisville
A- Cincinnati
B+ Villanova
B+ Pittsburgh
B West Virginia
B Providence
B Seton Hall
B St. John's
B- Rutgers

A+ Michigan State
A+ Illinois
A- Indiana
A- Wisconsin
B+ Ohio State
B+ Purdue
B Iowa
B Michigan
B Minnesota
B Notre Dame
B- Penn State
B- Northwestern

A+ Kentucky
A- Florida
B+ Arkansas
B+ Tennessee
B LSU
B South Carolina
B Vanderbilt
B Georgia
B Alabama
B Auburn
B Mississippi
B Mississippi State

A+ UCLA
A+ Arizona
A- Stanford
B California
B Oregon
B Oregon State
B Washington State
B Washington
B Arizona State
B USC
B- Hawaii
B- Fresno State

A+ Kansas
A- Oklahoma
B Oklahoma State
B Texas
B Missouri
B Iowa State
B Texas Tech
B Texas A&M
B- Kansas State
B- Colorado
B- Nebraska
B- Baylor

A10
B = St. Joseph's
B = Temple
B = Xavier
B = Dayton
B- = UMass
B- = Charlotte
B- = Rhode Island
B- = St. Bonaventure
B- = Richmond
B- = St. Louis
B- = George Washington
B- = La Salle

WCC
B = Gonzaga
C = Pepperdine
C = Portland
C = San Francisco
C = Santa Clara
C = Loyola Marymount
C = Nevada
C = San Jose St.
D+= Grambling St.
D+= Lipscomb
D+= Texas, Pan American
D+= Boise St.

Mountain West
B = Utah
B = UNLV
B- = New Mexico
C = BYU
C = Denver
C = Texas Christian
C = Texas Southern
C = Wyoming
C = Air Force
C = N. Texas
C = San Diego St.
C = Colorado St.

CUSA
Memphis = B
The rest = C

Ivy
All teams = D

Horizon
B = Marquette
B- = DePaul
The rest = C

Missouri Valley
All teams = C

MAC
All teams = C

All other schools are D
1/19/2013 9:18 PM
I've seen Georgetown at a C- in at least three worlds.  They're currently at C- in Tark.

Have any of the other A- baseline programs ever been below a C in multiple worlds?

1/19/2013 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the comments and advice. 

I did get Georgetown, now listed as a B- in this world.  For the Cal team the advice was 'keep looking" and for "Georgetown" it was "step backwards".  In my job searches for Div 1 switches from successful but not Big 6 schools I never seem to get a "qualified" just a drop from "keep looking" to "step backwards' so I sort of ignore the advice and just look at the teams.
1/21/2013 12:41 AM
Pretty crazy that Cal is a harder get than Georgetown with the same exact prestige.  FWIW, I think you ultimately got the "better" job.
1/22/2013 11:30 AM
Pretty sure Cal was at the higher end of B- while Gtown is at the lower end.
1/22/2013 11:33 AM
Coaching job at Big 6 school Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.