Should(n't) I be able to get a D1 job? Topic

Posted by jskenner on 1/22/2013 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Colonels, there IS consistency. In both previous times where you moved up to DI, your 2 previous seasons at D2 were first round trips to the NT. Your current run at Hawaii has nothing like that. Like some said above, go get the players to reach the D2 NT, once or maybe twice, and you should be eligible for low DI. The fact that you've been in DI twice before simply has nothing to do with it (and never did). The promotion logic cares about what you've done lately at the schools you're coaching. You could've won NT championships at UCLA 15 years ago, and the logic would only care about what you've done recently, certainly no more than 10 seasons, per the latest promotion changes.
Ok, if you've won an NC at D1, you should always be able to get a D1 job, period.

And yes I'm only looking for a low level D1 job and will point out the inconsistencies for you.

After I didn't renew at both South Carolina State and Jacksonville, I wasn't eligible for any other D1 jobs, despite having an A or A+ loyalty both times.

After I made my second straight NT a Virginia Union, I was NOT eligible for D1 the season after, that's why I bowed out, but after sitting out 5 seasons I'm magically eligible for D1 jobs?  Yeah, that's consistent.

I'd always wanted to coach a Hawaiian team to fully understand/realize the pitfalls of recruiting there, thus I took the job at HI-Hilo, only a season removed from coaching at D1 Jacksonville mind you.  Regardless of my lack of NT appearances (trust me I did my best to recruit and schedule to make it) I expected to be able to get back to a low level D1 in due time...I always heard/thought there was a "bogey" number of wins that would get you to D1 (what is that number? 350 isn't enough? again gtfo) and each year that passed, I still wasn't eligible for D1.  I stayed at HI-Hilo, again because of that challenge, but in my 2nd or 3rd season there, that's when I found a low-level D1 job I wanted and ridiculously couldn't get to/attain.

Something's changed along the way because the process has been fairly inconsistent, but if WIS would only rather have me in 2 worlds, than 3, then they can stick with their inconsistent D1 "hiring" methods...the problem is, there's no formula, it's just all a crapshoot..."rules" are "applied" when they want to be.

1/22/2013 4:43 PM
Yes, WIS should make their policies based on how many worlds they should be able to get you in. Everything else be damned. Good argument.

"Well, his resume got worse and it makes no sense ... but screw it, we need colonels19 in Tark!"

colonels, recent performance matters a lot. You were barely on the brink of being able to qualify for very low DI jobs before. You never made the postseason at those jobs, and then worsened your resume with the Hilo tenure. You should not be qualified. It makes perfect sense.
1/22/2013 5:53 PM
So is there a "bogey" win total or not?  My resume didn't necessarily get worse, it just didn't get better.

Oh, and thank you for discussing the inconsistencies I spoke of as well.........

1/22/2013 6:14 PM (edited)
There is no win total requirement. I leaped into D1 knight fairly quickly; 157 D3 wins got me there.
1/22/2013 6:50 PM
Colonels, in HD terms, you're crazier than a **** house rat. :)
1/22/2013 7:55 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 1/22/2013 6:50:00 PM (view original):
There is no win total requirement. I leaped into D1 knight fairly quickly; 157 D3 wins got me there.
And this pretty much says everything about the process...

I'll be sure to get back to you guys when I wait/not play a few more seasons in Tark then get offered D1 positions again...I'm sure you'll say it can't/won't happen, but it did before and it will again.  None of you ever addressed the inconsistent nuances I posted by the way...not surprised...btw, what's a **** house?

1/22/2013 8:51 PM
lol, I know ;)
1/22/2013 9:29 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 1/22/2013 6:14:00 PM (view original):
So is there a "bogey" win total or not?  My resume didn't necessarily get worse, it just didn't get better.

Oh, and thank you for discussing the inconsistencies I spoke of as well.........

No it got worse. I would argue significantly so. Four season in D2 without a single tournament appearance. That's bad. Maybe you can't accept that hurts you and is considered a major negative, but it's a simple fact.

I am now reminded why I blocked you in the first place. (For the record, the only person I've ever blocked.)

1/22/2013 11:06 PM
Like I give a **** that/why you blocked me.

Like I said HI-Hilo was not initially a launching pad to D1, I wanted to see how I could/would do in a place that I've always wanted to coach that's doomed as far as recruiting is concerned.  It was at best a mediocre team/situation I took over, and in 4 seasons I took a C- to a B-, so if you want to consider that a negative, in Hawaii, in a tough conference, then so be it.  I'm aware that the PI is an also-ran tournament, but I made that twice and almost won it my last year there.

Again you're not addressing perhaps the main point(s) here...the 2 times that I didn't renew at D1, I IMMEDIATELY was NOT eligible for any other D1 jobs, and I think that's rather ******, because basically what WIS is telling me, is that depending on when I buy/bought my team, that will determine my status in the game.  To be at D1, not get fired, but not be eligible for ANY OTHER D1 JOBS if you "leave" the school you're at is rather ridiculous...you're basically damned to the team/situation that you choose.

And again, why wasn't I good/qualified enough to get a D1 gig in season 60, but I magically became eligible for D1 jobs in season 65...what sense does that make?...especially after back to back NT appearances.

WIS' formula is crap because there is no formula...it's somewhat randumb

1/22/2013 11:43 PM
You're not very quick.

It doesn't matter one iota what your intent was in taking the HI job. The reality is that you took it and didn't perform well, and that hurts your ability to get bigger and better jobs. Period.

Anyone who's played this game for even a brief length of time understands that success in your last four seasons has (by far) the largest impact on the jobs process. Knowing that, the notion that you could be befuddled as to why your ability to get a DI job has dropped after posting that four year run of mediocrity is mind boggling. It's as simple and straightforward as it gets.
1/23/2013 10:56 AM
" It was at best a mediocre team/situation I took over, and in 4 seasons I took a C- to a B-, so if you want to consider that a negative, in Hawaii, in a tough conference, then so be it.  I'm aware that the PI is an also-ran tournament, but I made that twice and almost won it my last year there."

The picture you're painting is that you did a good job the last few seasons.   The game doesn't think you did.   That's why you are not eligible for a "promotion".
1/23/2013 11:24 AM
colonels, i hate to say it, but you are starting to sound like, 10% as stubborn as you were in the old days :O 

the reality here is that your team has not succeeded in d2 (i personally think you did fine - but the game isnt smart enough to give hawii coaches a bonus, and i dont think you can fault it for that, honestly). the reason the game doesnt let people move up to d1 without a certain level of success, is, if you cant consistently make it in d2, you are going to get FLATTENED in d1. sure, you CAN move up after back to back 1st rounds, like you did. but ask on the forums if you SHOULD - and you will get a resounding, no. you really need to be able to make it consistently in d2, win some NT games, to have a chance in d1. in d1, all those coaches were pretty much at least that successful, and many much, much more successful, in the lower divisions. and being new to d1 recruiting is a major uphill battle. having a major disadvantage in both those areas is just too big. i recommend coaches wait till they can get a d1 job that is in decent shape, not a total rebuild, or at least a c- prestige or something so you have something to work with.

otherwise, you go to d1 and struggle too much, and that often leads to coaches getting frustrated and giving up, or whatever. if you are having fun in d2, i suggest, stay (maybe not at hilo, maybe get a main land job and try to build a solid d2 program). stay until you have grown, reached a level of mastery that would give you a chance in hell at d1. d1 is a lot different, a lot more competitive. i think once you get used to it, there are d2/d3 situations that are as tough to win a title in as d1, but d1 presents a unique challenge in recruiting, and a lot of coaches cant cut it there, even guys who are really, really successful, in d2 and d3.

anyway, you may agree, you may not - but the game has its rules for a reason. i personally think coaches should wait longer than HD suggests. and no, they are not 100% consistent - but it is decently consistent. if you disagree, find me a guy who made it to d1 without making the NT in their last 4 seasons (in d2, not in d1)  :) usually, you need back to back NT appearances (or that PIT champ would count for one - do you have a good season in you next year?)
1/23/2013 12:14 PM (edited)
Lol, I'm not going back to Tark D2...I already have 2 D2 teams that I'm pretty committed to, but I tend to burn out on the game if I have more than one team for too long.  2 straight NTs is no guarantee, like I said last time I did that I had to wait 5 seasons after back-to-back NTs to be eligible for D1 jobs, and I just noticed that out of the blue.  The other thing is, you don't know if you're eligible to move up until after you buy another season anyhow, so there's no (gold) standard on what it takes to get to D1, it's just a varying gray line that people (me included) guess at/try to make sense of, to get you to the next level.

Call me crazy, but I'm almost expecting to just magically be eligible for D1 like last time...not sure how long it will take, but I just feel like it will happen again...until then, I'm not going to waste my money on "ifs" and "maybes", we'll just have to wait and see what transpires.  Maybe WIS closed/fixed their loophole...who knows what seble does behind the green curtain...the only thing I know is that when I win, everybody wins...

1/23/2013 12:32 PM
its a 50-50 shot
1/23/2013 1:32 PM
Colonels, what was your success rate at the low level d1 school before you didn't renew? If you didn't have a good run I believe that is why they don't make you eligible when you come back. I struggled at d1 a number of years ago and decided to take some time off, when I came back I had to go back to d2 for a number of years and I had quite a bit of success (look at crum resume) to be able to move back to d1.
1/23/2013 1:37 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Should(n't) I be able to get a D1 job? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.