Defensive IQs and Defense Rating Topic

So I'm currently in the process of a few rebuilds, and was thinking - does a players defense rating tie into how quickly a player improves his IQ? The same question would go for offensive IQ and low post/perimeter as well.

1/27/2013 3:35 PM
no it just depends on WE and how much playing time he is getting.
1/27/2013 3:36 PM
Posted by patsrule755 on 1/27/2013 3:36:00 PM (view original):
no it just depends on WE and how much playing time he is getting.
For IQs, it also depends on his GPA (for sure his high school GPA as a freshman ... not sure if college GPA matters for the follow on years or not).
1/27/2013 10:22 PM (edited)
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I've also thought there was a contribution from the player's high school gpa (ie above avg in the classroom, mediocre or a poor student). The players I have had with higher high school gpa's seem to pick up the offense / defense quicker.
1/27/2013 8:28 PM

IQ is high school GPA and WE. Individual growth is playing time and WE.

1/27/2013 8:30 PM
WE = Yes. Time allocated to IQ = Yes. Everyone agrees....but, and it's a minor point, but...

High School GPA is an indicator not an absolute. The only way to know for sure if the kid will learn fast is to get the "above avg, mediocre, poor" student in the classroom message. Think of it sort of like height. A tall kid tends to be generated with high rebound #'s but isn't always. Same for GPA. 

Or maybe my GPA is to low too unnerstand this stuff.
1/27/2013 9:06 PM
Posted by jenningss on 1/27/2013 9:06:00 PM (view original):
WE = Yes. Time allocated to IQ = Yes. Everyone agrees....but, and it's a minor point, but...

High School GPA is an indicator not an absolute. The only way to know for sure if the kid will learn fast is to get the "above avg, mediocre, poor" student in the classroom message. Think of it sort of like height. A tall kid tends to be generated with high rebound #'s but isn't always. Same for GPA. 

or your too short :)
1/28/2013 7:47 AM

i always took the GPA to be a more precise indicator of the student classroom messages. i never even looked to see if in the classroom tracks GPA or GPA and WE or what, so really, i was just guessing (based on forum posting, really). how much did you look into that? 

also, doesnt playing time factor into IQ? i know robotdevil's players are like, D- or better in everything. not sure if he was mixing steps up in there or what.
1/28/2013 5:57 PM
Excuse my muddled thinking. I don't believe WE has much if anything to do with raising IQ's.

The GPA thing though.... I believe I remember someone tracking and charting it. Maybe iguana? Anyways, it was years ago. On my own teams I noticed some anomalies in IQ development. Very early in HD I tried a team skewed to high GPA. Sometimes a kid wouldn't gain IQ as fast as I thought he would. And then I noticed in evals a couple of times where the classroom (IQ) learning indicator was not what the GPA would indicate. It usually is though.

Ever since pot became fuzzy in WA state my thinking has become more legal. 
1/28/2013 6:27 PM
Posted by jenningss on 1/28/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):
Excuse my muddled thinking. I don't believe WE has much if anything to do with raising IQ's.

The GPA thing though.... I believe I remember someone tracking and charting it. Maybe iguana? Anyways, it was years ago. On my own teams I noticed some anomalies in IQ development. Very early in HD I tried a team skewed to high GPA. Sometimes a kid wouldn't gain IQ as fast as I thought he would. And then I noticed in evals a couple of times where the classroom (IQ) learning indicator was not what the GPA would indicate. It usually is though.

WE does have to do with raising IQs... When I first took over my teams I signed players with low WE (sub 20) but good starting ratings, and even if they started for three full seasons their IQs reached B+ at best.
1/28/2013 7:00 PM
Posted by gillispie2 on 1/28/2013 5:57:00 PM (view original):

i always took the GPA to be a more precise indicator of the student classroom messages. i never even looked to see if in the classroom tracks GPA or GPA and WE or what, so really, i was just guessing (based on forum posting, really). how much did you look into that? 

also, doesnt playing time factor into IQ? i know robotdevil's players are like, D- or better in everything. not sure if he was mixing steps up in there or what.
I believe a while back it was confirmed that playing the O or D has a slight effect on growth there too. Probably still the case. I also see differences all things equal between for example a 2.0 and a 2.3 even though both are clearly dumb as a brick... so I gpa has to be the factor over generic eval messages.
1/28/2013 7:25 PM
Posted by jenningss on 1/28/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):

oh yeah, its just the last 3 months that did all the damage, im sure we all buy that :)

i didnt think it was even up for debate, if WE has anything to do with low IQ. look at ANY single digit player, their IQ always sucks, always. on a positive note, when you pet them, they dont bite, unlike the hallucin--- err, the real pink christina agulara monsters chasing you around.
1/28/2013 8:03 PM

The only two things that influence the rate of IQ improvement are WE and high school GPA. 

1/29/2013 1:28 AM
really? and not playing time??  Does for me
1/29/2013 1:35 AM
no, playing time does not affect the rate of improvement for IQs.
1/29/2013 2:01 AM
12 Next ▸
Defensive IQs and Defense Rating Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.