Help With my team- Redshirt Topic

Ok so I have returned to HD after having a few years off, and I am trying to remember and get back in the swing of things.
Can someone take a look at my St. Olaf team and tell me what you think. I think my PG, PF, C are pretty obvious who is starting, and probably cook starting at SF. So who is my SG and who should I redshirt? (looking toward the future).
McEntyre is my choice to RS, but will his work ethic really allow him to improve?
Athleticism 49 - Low
Speed 54 - High
Rebounding 2
Defense 44
Shot Blocking 12
Low-post 12
Perimeter 48
Ball Handling 47 - High
Passing 48 - High
Work Ethic 17
Stamina 64 - High
Durability 43 - Low
FT Shooting B+ - Low

Of the freshman coming in Ketchum willbe my backup PF and C, Webb will be a roll player defender in the future, and Hill will be a decent roll player, starter as a senior maybe

Let me know what you think, good/bad/ugly
Thank you
1/28/2013 3:23 PM
the 17 WE means he won't improve much during the season. if you're thinking the future just start him and improve his WE.

none of the guys are going to be stars, so no real reason to try and keep them on the roster longer than needed. get them to their max ASAP, hopefully it'll help you win games and get better recruits,
1/28/2013 5:05 PM
Even if a guy isn't a star player, I always try to redshirt someone if I can. I see it as a waste of an opportunity to keep a player for an extra year any time I have a chance to use the redshirt and don't do it for someone (but sometimes no one will take it or you need your players now so you can't).

What it essentially does is allow the guy to improve a bit without using up a year, and if you don't need him now for any reason, you might as well give him the shot. Even if he maxes out in say, his junior season, you'll have him for one more season at maxed attributes rather than having to replace him.

So what you're effectively doing is exchanging a season where the guy isn't developed and you don't need him to play (his redshirt season) for a season when you need him and he's (hopefully) fully developed. To me if you can do that with a guy each season it only helps your team - and of course, you want to see if you can redshirt a potential star first if you don't need him his freshman season, so he's the player you keep an extra season. If that doesn't work, you put the redshirt on whoever you can and get that positive exchange between useless undeveloped season and useful developed season. That's my view anyway.
1/28/2013 8:55 PM
Posted by bistiza on 1/28/2013 8:55:00 PM (view original):
Even if a guy isn't a star player, I always try to redshirt someone if I can. I see it as a waste of an opportunity to keep a player for an extra year any time I have a chance to use the redshirt and don't do it for someone (but sometimes no one will take it or you need your players now so you can't).

What it essentially does is allow the guy to improve a bit without using up a year, and if you don't need him now for any reason, you might as well give him the shot. Even if he maxes out in say, his junior season, you'll have him for one more season at maxed attributes rather than having to replace him.

So what you're effectively doing is exchanging a season where the guy isn't developed and you don't need him to play (his redshirt season) for a season when you need him and he's (hopefully) fully developed. To me if you can do that with a guy each season it only helps your team - and of course, you want to see if you can redshirt a potential star first if you don't need him his freshman season, so he's the player you keep an extra season. If that doesn't work, you put the redshirt on whoever you can and get that positive exchange between useless undeveloped season and useful developed season. That's my view anyway.
Agree 100%, and I'd add another big benefit of redshirting: you're trading a freshman year of D IQ's for (hopefully) a fifth year of A or A+ IQ's. That makes a big difference too.
1/29/2013 1:56 PM
ok so is it worth redshirting my guy with 17 WE, will he improve anyway, or just give him minutes, or just leave him on the bench until he graduates?
1/29/2013 8:12 PM
Couple more points:

First, a redshirt player will improve less while he wears the redshirt than he would if he were not wearing it (because he's not getting court time to help improve). So he still improves but it isn't what it would be, but you do save the season for him, so it's a plus for you and him.

Second, his WE will not improve (or decrease) while he is on redshirt (unless he rejects the redshirt and his WE drops but you can fix that by removing the redshirt and his WE will go back where it was). The only way to increase WE is to give him playing time - the more he gets, the more his WE will go up.
1/29/2013 9:02 PM
Posted by hyrcanus on 1/29/2013 8:12:00 PM (view original):
ok so is it worth redshirting my guy with 17 WE, will he improve anyway, or just give him minutes, or just leave him on the bench until he graduates?
If you only have one choice of who to redshirt then do it. The 17 WE is enough that he will improve some even if its not a lot.
1/29/2013 9:59 PM
Thanks for everyones input
1/30/2013 10:49 AM
Help With my team- Redshirt Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.