Recruit with 24 DEF rating Topic

Quick question...
I have one open scholarship but I was thinking about rescinding the scholarship of a Junior who has been a big dissapointment (result of not future stars scouting the player).  The extra player that I'm thinking about giving the Junior's scholarship to has a 24 DEF rating and I run a M2M defense.  Considering that his upside in DEF is high and his WE is 60, what would be expectations on his DEF improvement?  I know there are a ton of factors to consider (I'll most likely RS him).  Just a general idea?  Maybe 60 DEF by the time he's a senior? 

Thanks for your time and help with this decision!
2/15/2013 11:43 AM
High Potential is 21+
A DEF score of 60 is a bit of a stretch.  45-55 is more reasonable.

2/15/2013 11:45 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Joe.  I'm still trying to figure out what type of balance I want on my team.  While being a poor defender, he should be a good offensive spark off the bench.
2/15/2013 12:01 PM
Is the potential high or high/high (27+)? If high/high, he'll be 51+, and RSing him with 60 WE will let him get over 45 or more before he steps on the court as a SO. What are his other attributes and potentials? Feel free to site mail if you prefer.

By the way, Trentonjoe. Good luck with your Elite 8 game in Knight. That's a really good D3 team you built.
2/15/2013 12:01 PM
Thanks, NYU is a great place to recruit.
2/15/2013 12:17 PM
If this is for your Princeton team, don't do it.  A DEF in the 50's will kill you in DI.
2/15/2013 12:18 PM
Yeah, its for my Princeton team.  In all my seasons of HD, I've never coached a M2M and just switched from FCP last season.  I wasn't aware that a 50's DEF rating was THAT bad, but I'll take your word for it.  My prestige is only a C- so I'm not exactly battling the upper-echelon teams right now.
2/15/2013 12:24 PM
It is.    As a general rule, I consider good ratings to be:  D3-60, D2-70, low D1-80, BCS D1-90 
2/15/2013 12:40 PM
Posted by mlitney on 2/15/2013 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, its for my Princeton team.  In all my seasons of HD, I've never coached a M2M and just switched from FCP last season.  I wasn't aware that a 50's DEF rating was THAT bad, but I'll take your word for it.  My prestige is only a C- so I'm not exactly battling the upper-echelon teams right now.
low defense is pretty brutal - i was remiss to take a guy at 65 low with zone, in low d1. he is a ~75 ath/95 reb type guy, who im usually happy with, but with that def, i was questioning taking a 4th walkon instead of him. and thats playing zone, where def is still as important, but with more room for fudging. a guy with def that bad (in the OP) is pretty much unplayable in any set, and doubly so in m2m. in high d1 (talking m2m only now), i can only tolerate def in the 70s if the guy is killer in all other def categories (ath/sb for bigs, ath/spd for guards) AND is excellent in the other areas. with my low d1 teams, i feel like i have to compromise more often, with a 70s ish def guy, but dipping below 70 is very sketchy, at any level of d1 play. its not a cardinal sin, you can do it if the guy is like, guaranteed 20+ ppg at great efficiency, or something like that. hes got to be so good in other areas it would kill you to pass on him, to tolerate defense as low at 50 or 60. for a 24 high - which ENDS in the 44-56 range, on average (read: he will play much of his career less than that) - you really have to have a phenomenal guy, 20+ ppg AND great in another way - either a great rebounder, or great ath/spd/bh/pass for a guard where hes a pg or great pg skills for a sg. even then, still might be smart to pass on him - but at least then, its a debate :)
2/15/2013 2:23 PM (edited)
He would be lights-out shooter (84 PER with High potential), but I'm learning towards passing on him.  Too many great coaches with much more experience have warned against it.  I'm still planning on rescinding the scholarship, but I'll add another defensively-minded player (even if it hurts my overal offense).  I guess there is no point in improving offense if it completely cripples your defense.  Thanks again.
2/15/2013 2:46 PM
84 per with high potential? you can only have high potential on 79 and lower ratings, so im not sure what you mean. also, it takes a lot more than gaudy per to make a lights out d1 shooter! 
2/15/2013 2:50 PM
Potential
  Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 41 Average   Perimeter 84 Average
Speed 59 Average   Ball Handling 64 Average
Rebounding 20 High   Passing 54 Low
Defense 24 High   Stamina 79 Average
Shot Blocking 17 High   Durability 48 High
Low-post 47 Low   FT Shooting   High

Sorry I was mistaken (either that or I'm a dirty, dirty liar).  The speed and athleticism don't seem enough to make up for any other failings.  Actually upon further review, he doesn't seem so great at all now.  Much easier decision.  =)
2/15/2013 3:03 PM
Yeah you absolutely have to pass on him. I could see him on a good D3 team...but he's useless in D1. 
2/15/2013 4:57 PM
Posted by jskenner on 2/15/2013 12:01:00 PM (view original):
Is the potential high or high/high (27+)? If high/high, he'll be 51+, and RSing him with 60 WE will let him get over 45 or more before he steps on the court as a SO. What are his other attributes and potentials? Feel free to site mail if you prefer.

By the way, Trentonjoe. Good luck with your Elite 8 game in Knight. That's a really good D3 team you built.
And bad luck in your F4 game :)
2/15/2013 7:16 PM
mlitney, despite what I told you in sitemails, I must say that gillespie an pep are right. Now IF his high/high turned out to be a potential of 75 or more, then he could get by, but with the mediocre ATH, if his defense is ultimately under 60, he's going to be too much of a liability to make up for his shooting and BH. In other words, his offense won't be enough to make up for his poor defense. Of course, it could be his DEF turns out to be over 80, but you'll have no way of knowing that until you actually sign him and he starts to improve over the first season. So they're right - pass on him. Sorry for giving you the wrong info earlier.
2/15/2013 8:50 PM
Recruit with 24 DEF rating Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.