Superclasses: Love 'em or hate 'em? Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 2/20/2013 2:01:00 PM (view original):
You'd have to totally redo the JUCO generation logic for that.  Right now JUCO's are just guys who either A) didn't get signed or B) went JUCO after signing as an ineligible.  Then they have growth based on the sim practice plan and a season of (I believe) not playing, although it could be equivalent to playing a few minutes, they do seem to grow a healthy amount.  Then they show back up.  Obviously sometimes they stay out for 2 years, but that's not terribly important here.  The point is that the only way to make them substantially better is to generate new recruits as JUCO players, which I don't really like.  Certainly good D1 JUCO players are going to be rare (at least high D1) because the appeal of JUCO guys is typically that they'll talk to lower-level schools after they come back into the recruiting pool.  3+ star recruits will have been recruited their first time anyway, so the only guys useful to Big 6 conferences are the INEL guys.  I don't think there's any way to fix that without, as I said, totally changing the way JUCOs are generated.
If that's the case, then how come there were JuCos in the very first seasons of the last two-a-day worlds?  Where'd they come from?
2/20/2013 2:30 PM
I see a lot of community college grads listed as JUCO transfers in D2 and D3, so theoretically there is a big amorphous mass of unplayed schools out there somewhere producing non-freshmen.

Most of these aren't good enough to sniff a D1 roster, but that's not my concern as much as just adding a few more usable recruits to the lower division lists.

2/20/2013 2:59 PM
Posted by dcy0827 on 2/20/2013 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/20/2013 2:01:00 PM (view original):
You'd have to totally redo the JUCO generation logic for that.  Right now JUCO's are just guys who either A) didn't get signed or B) went JUCO after signing as an ineligible.  Then they have growth based on the sim practice plan and a season of (I believe) not playing, although it could be equivalent to playing a few minutes, they do seem to grow a healthy amount.  Then they show back up.  Obviously sometimes they stay out for 2 years, but that's not terribly important here.  The point is that the only way to make them substantially better is to generate new recruits as JUCO players, which I don't really like.  Certainly good D1 JUCO players are going to be rare (at least high D1) because the appeal of JUCO guys is typically that they'll talk to lower-level schools after they come back into the recruiting pool.  3+ star recruits will have been recruited their first time anyway, so the only guys useful to Big 6 conferences are the INEL guys.  I don't think there's any way to fix that without, as I said, totally changing the way JUCOs are generated.
If that's the case, then how come there were JuCos in the very first seasons of the last two-a-day worlds?  Where'd they come from?
dahs is correct in the origins he lists, but he missed the fact that some are also generated out of thin air. so, you have thin air jucos, ineligibles who went juco, and players who were unsigned.

if anyone wants proof there are randomly generated jucos, then look for top jucos in d1 - if they dont start considering someone, with a blank FSS, then almost for sure they werent an ineligible (the school would have had to spend very little on the guy). and obviously they weren't unsigned freshman, i mean damn, some of those guys are beastly - no way they go without being scooped up. if you look at the number of high end jucos who clearly would have been signed, who aren't already considering someone, its pretty many, way too many to be explained by well maybe some diamond in the rough got through, got better for 2 years and came back as a juco 2, or maybe he was ineligible and the school only sent him 1 hv and a scholarship. plus im 99% sure old admin explained where jucos came from.
2/20/2013 5:04 PM
Yes, there are definitely some thin air JUCOs, and I think there ought to be a few more yearly.
2/20/2013 5:29 PM
I took over Elizabethtown in Allen from a sim and had to recruit a 6-player freshman class.  My first season, we went 8-19 and suffered a prestige drop from B to C-.  However, as we had 6 freshman, 3 sophmores, and 3 juniors, we lost nobody and are 2-1 against decent competition (except for one game) this year.  I no longer have the superclass, as I (now in my second season) redshirted one of my sophmores from the superclass.
2/23/2013 9:46 PM
◂ Prev 123
Superclasses: Love 'em or hate 'em? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.