Recruit accepts RS, but reacts negatively??? Topic

I informed a recruit of my intentions to redshirt him and received this response, "Coach, listen, I wasn't that impressed with your school so far, it doesn't help your case if you really think you can land a player like me and expect to redshirt me."

However, he is still considering me and it doesn't say that he rejected the redshirt in the history tab, so I can't rescend the offer. Also, I know this action had a negative consequence because the team I battled for him showed back up on his considering list (although it is possible the other school could have put more effort into the recruit, but I don't think this is the case because the other coach seems to have moved on).

I've never seen this before, so if he signs with me will it be as a redshirt and with his originally advertised amount of WE? Thanks.

2/20/2013 5:53 PM
Yeah he accepted the RS and would be fine with it if he signs with you.  You're pretty much always going to get a negative response from him, but he'll accept it if you've put enough effort into him.

Inform of RS essentially sends about -2 or -3 HVs worth of effort, so it's definitely possible a team could show back up on the list.  Most people will send some effort, like a few HVs, when they inform to keep that from happening.  But if the other team just barely snuck back on the list, then just send a few HVs now and it should knock them back off.
2/20/2013 6:27 PM
If you informed him of the redshirt during recruiting and he took it, you should have the recruiting option of "Inform of Non-Redshirt" now instead in your available recruiting options.  

Informing a recruit that you intend to redshirt him might have negative recruiting effect (as it was in this case) so other schools which were no longer being considered might now be again.

If you don't get another scholarship e-mail (or if you put in some additional effort) then he'll probably sign with you and then when you do actually apply the redshirt after he's on your roster, he will take it with zero WE drop (since you informed him during recruiting).
2/20/2013 6:29 PM
Posted by killbatman on 2/20/2013 6:27:00 PM (view original):
Yeah he accepted the RS and would be fine with it if he signs with you.  You're pretty much always going to get a negative response from him, but he'll accept it if you've put enough effort into him.

Inform of RS essentially sends about -2 or -3 HVs worth of effort, so it's definitely possible a team could show back up on the list.  Most people will send some effort, like a few HVs, when they inform to keep that from happening.  But if the other team just barely snuck back on the list, then just send a few HVs now and it should knock them back off.
Thanks, I saw a previous thread of yours about a similar situation, but figured I'd better be absolutely sure. I appreciate it.
2/20/2013 6:35 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 2/20/2013 6:29:00 PM (view original):
If you informed him of the redshirt during recruiting and he took it, you should have the recruiting option of "Inform of Non-Redshirt" now instead in your available recruiting options.  

Informing a recruit that you intend to redshirt him might have negative recruiting effect (as it was in this case) so other schools which were no longer being considered might now be again.

If you don't get another scholarship e-mail (or if you put in some additional effort) then he'll probably sign with you and then when you do actually apply the redshirt after he's on your roster, he will take it with zero WE drop (since you informed him during recruiting).
You're right, the recruiting option relating to redshirting now reads "Inform of Non-Redshirt". I might need to sharpen up on my attention to detail skills, haha. Thanks.
2/20/2013 6:38 PM
if you inform a recruit who was previously considering with a pending scholarship and he reacts negatively, then rejects scholarship offer and hv's and is no longer considering can he be re-recruited with scout trips or do you have to uninform of redshirt first?
3/11/2013 6:30 PM
You obviously weren't *tight* with the recruit before you informed him of the redshirt so I would uninform first, then put in a lot more effort to get him tight so if you do want to try to inform again, he won't outright reject your future HVs if you need to put some more in to convince him to sign with you.

Also don't forget to re-offer a scholarship since he's rejected your first one.
3/11/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/11/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
You obviously weren't *tight* with the recruit before you informed him of the redshirt so I would uninform first, then put in a lot more effort to get him tight so if you do want to try to inform again, he won't outright reject your future HVs if you need to put some more in to convince him to sign with you.

He never stopped considering me (so he wouldn't have rejected any HVs) nor did he reject the scholarship offer or the redshirt.
3/12/2013 2:04 AM
Posted by deer454 on 3/11/2013 6:30:00 PM (view original):
if you inform a recruit who was previously considering with a pending scholarship and he reacts negatively, then rejects scholarship offer and hv's and is no longer considering can he be re-recruited with scout trips or do you have to uninform of redshirt first?
you dont have to un-inform of redshirt, but it will be easier if you do so - doing that would remove a negative factor

all depends on whether you are willing to have him on the roster without a redshirt,

and, keep in mind, once you inform him that you will not redshirt him, there is no chance he will take a redshirt after recruiting is over
3/12/2013 8:54 AM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 3/12/2013 2:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/11/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):

He never stopped considering me (so he wouldn't have rejected any HVs) nor did he reject the scholarship offer or the redshirt.
my bad, I didn't realize that you were responding to somebody else, sorry for any confusion.
3/12/2013 9:47 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 3/12/2013 8:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by deer454 on 3/11/2013 6:30:00 PM (view original):
you dont have to un-inform of redshirt, but it will be easier if you do so - doing that would remove a negative factor

all depends on whether you are willing to have him on the roster without a redshirt,

and, keep in mind, once you inform him that you will not redshirt him, there is no chance he will take a redshirt after recruiting is over
drag, only could get him to sign after informing of non redshirt. first time I've had a guy react poorly during recruiting and I waited too long. live and learn!
3/12/2013 10:15 AM
Recruit accepts RS, but reacts negatively??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.