What decides which players are drafted? Topic

Hey, I'm new here and I'm still trying to get a grasp of everything. So I looked at a few coaches resumes and looked at the players that they have had drafted from their teams, and I noticed a first pick overall had worse stats than a fifteenth pick overall. For example, one first round pick averaged like 9 ppg, 3 assists, 1 reb, 1 stl, and like 2 turnovers, then I'd look at an eighth pick overall and he will have like 12 ppg, 2 assists, 4 reb, 1 stl, and 1 turnover. I don't quite understand how the first guy was better, by stats the second guy is, yet he was picked lower, and this isn't just a one time thing, I've seen it with nearly every draft I've looked at. Also, is it the same for pre season all americans and stuff, because there are some guys there who are worse than players on my team. I just don't understand.
2/21/2013 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure the draft logic looks at ratings, not stats.  This was to stop people from intentionally lowering stat lines on a stud junior to make sure he'd stick around for his senior year.

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen a few threads about the draft ignoring stats (or at least focusing heavily on ratings).
2/21/2013 2:30 PM
Oh ok, that makes sense, but I feel it should be based on stats more. Just kind of ridiculous when I player who averages 20 ppg and like 3 or 4 assists wont get drafted because he isnt very great on defense and isnt very fast or something.
2/21/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by lmattie on 2/21/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Oh ok, that makes sense, but I feel it should be based on stats more. Just kind of ridiculous when I player who averages 20 ppg and like 3 or 4 assists wont get drafted because he isnt very great on defense and isnt very fast or something.
First of all, you're new to this game so it is understandable you feel this way. But you can pretty much get anyone to put up good numbers if you give them enough of the distribution. Does this mean that the player is worthy of getting drafted? Absolutely not. Because in a bubble, a player with better ratings substituted for the player in consideration would put up better numbers more effectively.

This is a bit complicated, so think of real life. Tyler Hansbrough put up huge numbers in college, but he's not an NBA athlete. His numbers looked like that of a first overall pick, but his lack of athleticism/legit post moves/etc. meant that he wouldn't be a star in the NBA. He's actually made a solid career for himself, but he's no all-star.
2/21/2013 3:04 PM
But on the other hand.....Bo Kimble fooled an awful lot of pro scouts.....some times gaudy numbers make people look faster!
2/21/2013 3:11 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/21/2013 3:11:00 PM (view original):
But on the other hand.....Bo Kimble fooled an awful lot of pro scouts.....some times gaudy numbers make people look faster!
Hank Gathers was the star on that team and probably drew a ton of double teams.
2/21/2013 3:40 PM
Dude, did you ever watch them play?   There was no time to double team anyone.  They shot the ball like every 10 seconds.
2/21/2013 3:50 PM
What decides which players are drafted? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.