I worked my way up to D1 over time, had a few decent seasons, eventually lost interest in the game and my team went autopilot as my seasons ran out.

I wanted to give the game another try, so I applied for four D1 jobs with prestige D or D-, some of them programs that have never had a human coach in their history.  I was denied on all four jobs.  Customer service says to go play DII, even though it says I'm overqualified for any DII job.

Essentially, they are choosing SIM AI coaches over paying customers.  I fail to see any logical reason I could not get a D- job.

Do you find this absurd or is it just me?

2/22/2013 5:54 PM
Tcochran, here's what you should have done.  Signed up for and reserved  a D1 team before the applications started.  It's a quirk of the hiring process.
2/22/2013 5:58 PM
submit a ticket to CS, perhaps they will make it work for you.  agree though, it's absurd
2/22/2013 6:13 PM
Posted by abitaamber on 2/22/2013 5:58:00 PM (view original):
Tcochran, here's what you should have done.  Signed up for and reserved  a D1 team before the applications started.  It's a quirk of the hiring process.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that.
2/22/2013 6:40 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 2/22/2013 6:13:00 PM (view original):
submit a ticket to CS, perhaps they will make it work for you.  agree though, it's absurd
Submitting a ticket was my first action because I felt like they would realize it's a bit silly.  It's not a subjective matter over hiring my resume vs another resume, it's the ridiculous philosophy that they encourage SIM AI programs over human ones.  CS just fed me canned answers which ****** me off.

2/20/2013 5:50 PM tcochran
I can't get a job. My resume is not great, but I got denied on all 4 applications for teams that were prestige D or D-. I have been a coach at the D1 level already. I find it strange that the worst programs in the country would want to stick with SIM AI coaches. Some of the programs have never had a human coach.
2/21/2013 12:03 PM Customer Support
Thanks for your note. When you leave a program either voluntarily or involuntarily your resume is looked at relative to all coaches. You do have an upside in that you do have experience. So you just need a successful season or two at a program that you are qualified for and then you should likely be able to start moving up.
2/21/2013 12:06 PM tcochran
No thanks. Please credit my account as I do not want to play HD now.
2/21/2013 3:34 PM Customer Support
Hi Tyler,

We can convert your season into a site credit at the rate you paid for it. However, it would only result in a credit of 2.95 as that's all you paid for it. The credits used in the purchase are not eligible to be returned. Do you still wish to have it converted into a site credit?

The reason you're not qualified is that you're success is too low. Success is based on your ten most recent seasons and the more recent the more weight they carry. You've had a few bad seasons in there and that's what is currently hurting you.

Thanks for your feedback, we'll keep it in mind for future updates to the Job process.

2/22/2013 6:43 PM
seems like the appropriate responses from CS to me
2/22/2013 9:26 PM
I'm of the ilk that if you've coached at D1 in a world at any point, you should always be qualified for at least one D- job.  What it comes down to is WIS grandstanding on its dumb rules/job policies (restrictions) that say that the company would rather make no money trying to force an arguably qualified coach to coach a D2 team until they become eligible (which is an incredibly sliding scale with no guarantees), as opposed to letting them coach at a bottom basement D1 school...I guess that's what gets my eyre the most...it's just dumb and pointless.

I guess my argument is, you shouldn't have to "earn" the right to coach D1, over and over and over again...once you make it, you've made it, period...I think the game would benefit from this mantra.

2/22/2013 10:56 PM (edited)
Posted by yanks250125 on 2/22/2013 9:26:00 PM (view original):
+1. This is just one of the rewards built into the game for continuous play. It's a silly thing to complain about.
2/22/2013 11:28 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 2/22/2013 10:56:00 PM (view original):
I'm of the ilk that if you've coached at D1 in a world at any point, you should always be qualified for at least one D- job.  What it comes down to is WIS grandstanding on its dumb rules/job policies (restrictions) that say that the company would rather make no money trying to force an arguably qualified coach to coach a D2 team until they become eligible (which is an incredibly sliding scale with no guarantees), as opposed to letting them coach at a bottom basement D1 school...I guess that's what gets my eyre the most...it's just dumb and pointless.

I guess my argument is, you shouldn't have to "earn" the right to coach D1, over and over and over again...once you make it, you've made it, period...I think the game would benefit from this mantra.

+1
2/22/2013 11:34 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 2/22/2013 11:28:00 PM (view original):
+1. This is just one of the rewards built into the game for continuous play. It's a silly thing to complain about.
Your argument would be logical if this was a matter of hiring between two human coaches with similar resumes and one has been playing continuously and one has not.

Do WIS customers prefer to play in worlds with all SIM AI coaches or do they prefer humans?  Most would say humans.

Does WIS need human coaches to play Hoops Dynasty?  Yes - in fact, D1 looked like a ghost town.

So you're saying that the worst jobs in D1 that are never, ever filled (these teams have been SIM AI for 40+ seasons) that a paying customer needs to be a continuous player in order to reap the rewards of such a program?

2/23/2013 1:33 AM

I disagree... You have to be good at coaching at D- to have like NT success. It's one of the toughest things to do in the game. I think your idea would permanently scare coaches from D1 or even HD out of frustration.
2/23/2013 7:28 PM (edited)
On the other hand, i have had the lovely situation where _every single job_ was either a step back or unqualified. Probably a rare situation, but amusing ...
2/23/2013 11:52 AM
Posted by tcochran on 2/23/2013 1:34:00 AM (view original):
Your argument would be logical if this was a matter of hiring between two human coaches with similar resumes and one has been playing continuously and one has not.

Do WIS customers prefer to play in worlds with all SIM AI coaches or do they prefer humans?  Most would say humans.

Does WIS need human coaches to play Hoops Dynasty?  Yes - in fact, D1 looked like a ghost town.

So you're saying that the worst jobs in D1 that are never, ever filled (these teams have been SIM AI for 40+ seasons) that a paying customer needs to be a continuous player in order to reap the rewards of such a program?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

There have always been players who wanted to pay extra to start playing HD at D1 instead of D3. By your logic, WIS should allow that. I disagree.
2/23/2013 11:54 AM
Posted by m4284850 on 2/23/2013 10:40:00 AM (view original):

I disagree... You have to be good at coaching at D-, its one of the toughest things to do in the game. I think your idea would permanently scare coaches from D1 or even HD out of frustration.
Well I disagree with your disagreeance...being a ****** coach is going to "scare" someone out of D1 forever...LOFL!  I'd guess that 90-95% of the coaches on here would stick to it, and fight to succeed...hell many of you already have and are currently doing so.

I pretty much say all the time that D2 is the place to be in HD.  With that said, I would still like another crack at coaching D1, I guess I feel enthused enough at this time to carry 2 teams (I have for much of the last year), but again, I don't feel like I should have to "re-qualify" for D1...I earned my spot in D1 a long time ago and I shouldn't have to do it again.  Seasoned D1 vets may scoff at my posts, I don't know how they feel, but they'd be out of touch anyhow.  It's annoying especially with how many D1 job openings there are across the board.

Again to bottom line this...

WIS tells me to play D2 for however many seasons it would take to get to D1 when I've played 3 seasons at D1 previously and won a conference (division) championship...I'm not going to play

WIS allows me to coach at D1 because I've coached at D1 previously...I'm going to pay to play in a heartbeat.

WIS is kind of limiting their revenue by running the game as they do.  I certainly feel like you should have to earn your spot in D1, there's no doubt about it, but once you do, in the words of Sam J. Jones in the movie "Ted"...You're golden, pony boy

2/23/2013 12:40 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 2/23/2013 11:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tcochran on 2/23/2013 1:34:00 AM (view original):

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

There have always been players who wanted to pay extra to start playing HD at D1 instead of D3. By your logic, WIS should allow that. I disagree.
I've already worked my way up to D1 and logged seasons there. This is not a free pass.
2/23/2013 1:07 PM
12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.