Scheduling thoughts Topic

For the more experienced coaches out there - which is more advantageous - a middle of the road non conference SOS that you can perform 7-3 and above, or a top SOS with a 3-7 or worse record?

The aim would be to ensure a postseason bid.

2/25/2013 4:15 PM
it depends on your conference situation. If you are in a tough, mostly human conference, you want to schedule a little softer so you can get 10 wins since sometimes getting more than 4 in conference is tough. In empty conferences, you need to schedule a little tougher. You still want to win as many games as possible, but the level of competition in the non conference games will need to make up for the lack of toughness of your conference.
2/25/2013 4:24 PM
What dacj said. Estimate how many wins you think you should get in conference, subtract by 14, and that's how many you need in non-conference. 

2/25/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 2/25/2013 4:24:00 PM (view original):
it depends on your conference situation. If you are in a tough, mostly human conference, you want to schedule a little softer so you can get 10 wins since sometimes getting more than 4 in conference is tough. In empty conferences, you need to schedule a little tougher. You still want to win as many games as possible, but the level of competition in the non conference games will need to make up for the lack of toughness of your conference.
yup I schedule the opposite of my conference situation unless you have a dominant team in a dominant conference as in www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx where I will put a few tough games into my non-con schedule.  If I'm in a ghost conference, I might schedule all 10 games that I could lose.  Even if I go 0-10, I'll still win 15-16 conference games and make it to the NT with a good SOS
2/25/2013 6:24 PM
i schedule for my team and my conference.

at UNCP i schedule a harder SOS than Mizzou.

next year at MU when i'll have 4-5 freshmen and 1-2 jucos I've scheduled 10 patsies. i want 10 wins and maybe i can pull out 5 conference wins and get the NIT.
2/25/2013 6:44 PM
I just started this season and I feel like I had a really hard non conference schedule this year. I had to play 10 human, 9 if which have winning records
http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Schedule.aspx?tid=12397
So I scheduled alot easier next season. Scheduling only 5 humans and only 2 teams I play have winning records this season
2/25/2013 8:15 PM
There is a lot of good information here from dacj, bbunch and yanks. After you get this concept figured out then the next step is learning how to schedule road games to help manipulate rpi and sos as road wins count for more than home wins in rpi calculations
2/25/2013 9:53 PM
I'm probably in the minority and rightfully so here, I always schedule a few sims (at least 4+) because I want to have a winning record going into conference play.  My shtick at Mount Olive currently is to play @ the 4 D2 Hawaiian schools...I like to look at as a reward to my players, it's kind of our Maui Invitational...and I love warm/hot weather, so it's kinda fun to think about when you're buried in snow too lol.
2/25/2013 10:04 PM
As trobone said you also need to schedule to your team. If you are going to have a young team schedule a little softer and if you have a ton of juniors and seniors then go for the harder schedule. In the end its all about scheduling the toughest schedule that you can beat. Its a very fine balancing act, more of an art than a science, and it really just takes time and experience to really get it down.
2/25/2013 11:09 PM
Posted by slyman9 on 2/25/2013 9:53:00 PM (view original):
There is a lot of good information here from dacj, bbunch and yanks. After you get this concept figured out then the next step is learning how to schedule road games to help manipulate rpi and sos as road wins count for more than home wins in rpi calculations
I've learned the selection committee isn't fooled by this trick
2/25/2013 11:16 PM
Posted by bbunch on 2/25/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
What dacj said. Estimate how many wins you think you should get in conference, subtract by 14, and that's how many you need in non-conference. 

I always get a -4 from being in the ACC with this.  Although I should be able to beat simmy once this year, -3.     

2/25/2013 11:30 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 2/25/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slyman9 on 2/25/2013 9:53:00 PM (view original):
I've learned the selection committee isn't fooled by this trick
The way I try to schedule isn't really about trying to trick the committee but rather attempting to minimize the impact of a loss and by maximizing the wins by playing all or close to all of my non-conf games on the road with my teams that I am trying to rebuild (once I have an established team I schedule completely different). If Im are in a mostly filled conference I like to schedule a little bit easier against teams that I have at least a 75% chance of beating and if its a sim team it should be loaded with upperclassmen. If the conference Im in is mostly sim schools then I will schedule harder but I don't want to play any teams that I dont have at least a 50% chance of winning.

2/26/2013 12:33 AM
I cannot think of a situation where going 3-7 would ever be better than going 7-3.
2/26/2013 10:57 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 2/25/2013 11:09:00 PM (view original):
As trobone said you also need to schedule to your team. If you are going to have a young team schedule a little softer and if you have a ton of juniors and seniors then go for the harder schedule. In the end its all about scheduling the toughest schedule that you can beat. Its a very fine balancing act, more of an art than a science, and it really just takes time and experience to really get it down.
While you're at it, take a look at what your potential opponent has coming back, too.
2/26/2013 11:26 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/26/2013 10:57:00 AM (view original):
I cannot think of a situation where going 3-7 would ever be better than going 7-3.
3-7 against all top 100 rpi is better than 7-3 against all 200 rpi or worse
2/26/2013 6:11 PM
12 Next ▸
Scheduling thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.