Low prestige DII vs high prestige DIII Topic

What is the recruiting effort/success difference between a DIII school at A+ and a DII school at D-. 
3/18/2013 12:54 PM
those prestige differences are minor. D2 advantage is more money per scholarship of course. Distance and proper spending (and possible disparity in # of ships) will be more important in those battles than the prestige factor IMO.

ETA: I'm not even sure D 2 goes down to D- though... still holds true - prestige is not as big a factor here because the amount of money involved is much less than in D I. Not saying it is irrelevant, just less important...

ETA again: Ok, I stand corrected - turns out reigny's rule of terror in that other thread produced a few D- seasons, but I think if you are recruiting against a D- D2 team you'll probably win because that D 2 coach must be absolutely awful at HD...

3/18/2013 1:14 PM (edited)
It does go down to d-...I have a team that is d- who lost a battle to a team in DIII and actually, it was only a c+ team. I put 3k into a guy, started in on him earlier, and got beat out. The guy had a total of 18k in money. It makes sense I suppose, but I believe I promised him a start as well. Oh well, people told me he wasn't good enough to recruit anyway, but this team I have sees no one good. 
3/18/2013 1:16 PM
I lost this guy http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx?rid=2673302 to A+ MBBC (makes sense to me) and this guy http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx?rid=2673380 to C+ John Carrol (not sure that makes sense to me) 
3/18/2013 1:19 PM
Prestige differences outside of D1 are almost completely meaningless.  If you have more money and/or a distance advantage, you can absolutely win those at D3.  I've taken players from A+ D2s as an A+ D3.

My guess is D- D2 and A+ D3 are very close to the same thing.

3/18/2013 2:28 PM
I don't believe it should be. I mean it shouldn't be earth shattering, but there should be some difference. and DII to C+  should be a pretty large difference imo. 
3/18/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by killbatman on 3/18/2013 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Prestige differences outside of D1 are almost completely meaningless.  If you have more money and/or a distance advantage, you can absolutely win those at D3.  I've taken players from A+ D2s as an A+ D3.

this is pretty accurate. d2 d- and a+ d3, i am pretty sure, are just off by half a partial grade of d2 prestige + half a partial grade of d3 prestige.

i dont know that prestige in d2 and d3 are actually meaningless, ive had a few examples suggesting some small prestige factors. however, with the small amounts of money in battles, and the mistakes made using certain tools by many coaches, and the distance advantages often present, in most battles, even a 30% prestige factor wouldn't decide the battle. ive probably engaged in as many battles with upper division schools, per season played, as just about anyone - and am usually one of the only people who says its very possible to win those fights. so i totally agree with you that lower division schools can win players in higher divisions. but i think with prestige just being one of a number of big (and often bigger) factors, it gets overlooked, rather than it being worth nothing. i could be wrong, though.

it would be interesting to pick up a couple low level teams and find the exact value of prestige in lower divisions, and then share it on the boards - but would that be considered cheating? ive wanted to for a long time but never know if it would be considered collusion or whatever.
3/18/2013 3:06 PM
Its certainly not a big difference. b/c the team that got the guy that was C+ prestige didn't have that much recruiting cash. 
3/18/2013 3:12 PM
Posted by noah23 on 3/18/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Its certainly not a big difference. b/c the team that got the guy that was C+ prestige didn't have that much recruiting cash. 
Hmm, well he had 6 openings, so $18k + minimal postseason.

You had 4 openings, so $20k + postseason.

Pretty close difference in $$$, and I'm pretty sure he picked up a lot of kids w/o a battle.  Obviously I'm not sure how he went about recruiting, but if he was efficient he could've had a lot to battle with.  Did you get in many battles?

3/18/2013 3:42 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/18/2013 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 3/18/2013 2:28:00 PM (view original):

this is pretty accurate. d2 d- and a+ d3, i am pretty sure, are just off by half a partial grade of d2 prestige + half a partial grade of d3 prestige.

i dont know that prestige in d2 and d3 are actually meaningless, ive had a few examples suggesting some small prestige factors. however, with the small amounts of money in battles, and the mistakes made using certain tools by many coaches, and the distance advantages often present, in most battles, even a 30% prestige factor wouldn't decide the battle. ive probably engaged in as many battles with upper division schools, per season played, as just about anyone - and am usually one of the only people who says its very possible to win those fights. so i totally agree with you that lower division schools can win players in higher divisions. but i think with prestige just being one of a number of big (and often bigger) factors, it gets overlooked, rather than it being worth nothing. i could be wrong, though.

it would be interesting to pick up a couple low level teams and find the exact value of prestige in lower divisions, and then share it on the boards - but would that be considered cheating? ive wanted to for a long time but never know if it would be considered collusion or whatever.
I've thought about doing exactly that, using credits to get 2 teams in the same world (different world than my actual teams) just to recruit against each other and pin down some values.  But yeah, I thought maybe that would be borderline cheating, though..that and I've been too lazy to do it. 

I agree it exists and it's so small that it will almost never make a difference in D2/D3 battles.

3/18/2013 3:50 PM
your right..it was the other guy that didn't have much. But he was about equal with me according to whats been said here. Still think there probably isn't enough difference. 
3/18/2013 4:37 PM
Yeah I agree with you noah, and that's probably part of why more people don't try it.  They assume the difference is bigger than it really is.  That's what she said.
3/18/2013 4:47 PM
Low prestige DII vs high prestige DIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.