School Prestige Ratings Change Topic

Posted this to my conference forum and received a surprising response, so I thought I would offer it up for other feedback.  I am a newbie owner, selected a team with B- prestige...got  team with C- prestige.  Is that type of drop normal?  I expected some possible drop, but a full grade!  Wow!  Let the fun begin.  Anyone else experience this type of a drop.

3/19/2013 2:30 PM
In DIII yea.  Good news is think of how quickly you can turn them around
3/19/2013 2:40 PM
Yeah, if you're brand new you have no resume/experience so the school prestige dropped to reflect that.
3/19/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 3/19/2013 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, if you're brand new you have no resume/experience so the school prestige dropped to reflect that.
Is this really a thing?  I figured the schools prestige dropped as a result of the previous season, as the game rolled over to a new season, and not as a result of a rookie coach taking over.  So you are saying if a D1 school took over a D- DIII school, the schools prestige would jump due to the new D1 coach?
3/19/2013 4:05 PM
Had to be the previous season - no way they would have been at a B- after that 275 RPI season as the latest.  Guessing he reserved it during the season while they were still at the B-, then assumed control after the season rolled over and they'd moved to C-.

The prestige can bump either way a tad on a coaching change, but certainly not a full letter grade.  I've personally never seen it jump more than 1/3 of a grade in that scenario, though.
3/19/2013 4:21 PM
Posted by ryrun on 3/19/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
Had to be the previous season - no way they would have been at a B- after that 275 RPI season as the latest.  Guessing he reserved it during the season while they were still at the B-, then assumed control after the season rolled over and they'd moved to C-.

The prestige can bump either way a tad on a coaching change, but certainly not a full letter grade.  I've personally never seen it jump more than 1/3 of a grade in that scenario, though.
this sounds about right.

i feel like there was a forum post about someone going 2/3rds of a grade a while back... maybe it was even +2/3rds grades, not minus? anyway, i think CS said that sometimes it could be more than a partial grade, it happened decently often actually, we just rarely saw it because only partial grades are represented... but yeah, i agree theres no way it would drop from b- to c- on a new coach.
3/19/2013 7:44 PM
Thanks all.  Seems like the consensus by most is that it's a little odd, but maybe feasible.  Anyways...luck of the draw.  Time to recruit.

3/20/2013 4:08 AM
50% of  prestige is based on the most recent season. 
3/20/2013 6:15 AM
Posted by hgq2112 on 3/20/2013 4:08:00 AM (view original):
Thanks all.  Seems like the consensus by most is that it's a little odd, but maybe feasible.  Anyways...luck of the draw.  Time to recruit.

i think there are actually 2 issues - the consensus is, it would make no sense for you to drop from b- to c- just on being a new coach, maybe a partial grade, but thats about it. but the poor season absolutely justifies the drop, and i dont think anyone sees anything strange about that - as alblack said, 50% of d2/d3 prestige is the most recent season, and thats definitely a bad enough season to bring things down.

3/20/2013 7:24 PM
Understood.  Thanks for the further clarification. Sounds right.
3/26/2013 1:53 AM
Playing off of that... also had this conversation in our conference recently. I took over a D3 team that has been in a rut for a while. Had two wins last year, and has sat at a C- for many, many seasons. I had a few seasons at D3, a few on D2, and one at D1. I took over the team (mind you, coming off of a 2-win season with zero conference wins) and it was a C. I know thats not a big change, but was surprised to see it have gone up? 

Is it impacted by the incoming coach's experience level?
3/26/2013 7:51 PM
Posted by jeffsu on 3/26/2013 7:51:00 PM (view original):
Playing off of that... also had this conversation in our conference recently. I took over a D3 team that has been in a rut for a while. Had two wins last year, and has sat at a C- for many, many seasons. I had a few seasons at D3, a few on D2, and one at D1. I took over the team (mind you, coming off of a 2-win season with zero conference wins) and it was a C. I know thats not a big change, but was surprised to see it have gone up? 

Is it impacted by the incoming coach's experience level?
yes
3/26/2013 9:27 PM
School Prestige Ratings Change Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.