OT: Tubby Smith Topic

Running a clean program doesn't amount to very much these days. Sometimes within the next decade Calipari will leave Kentucky in shambles on his way to a broadcasting gig. 
3/27/2013 1:44 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/27/2013 1:28:00 PM (view original):
Minnesota is a crappy program with poor facilities that had recently been racked by scandal.

He turned that around, made the tourney three times in six years, and ran a very clean program. I think it's better than the vast majority of coaches would've done under those circumstances, and I think it's highly unlikely that a program like this will be able to attract someone better than Tubby.

He is leaving some talent on the roster, and there is a great junior class in state. So it's possible that the right coach could do better going forward ... I just tend to doubt it.
Tubby was a good coach for what the school needed to do: get out from under that scandal and run a clean program, like you said. The man knows how develop players on the defensive end and is/was actually pretty good at finding some gems out of nowhere. 

The fact is, he cannot coach offense or manage subs. Period. His teams at Minnesota consistently stood around the 3 pt line and fired off terrible shot after terrible shot at the buzzer of the shot clock. His sub patterns are absolutely ghastly. On the road, when you are tied with a top 10 team, you don't mass sub out your starters for the bench 9 minutes into the game. He doesn't appear to have any rhyme or reason to his rotations, and insisted on playing his entire bench, even if the 11th and 12th guys aren't good enough to refill the Gatorade cooler, let alone play in the Big 10. 

Another problem I had with Tubby is he refused to ever put fullcourt pressure on teams despite utilizing so many players. When the Gophers would press (particularly the 08-10 teams), they would force turnovers that would lead to easy baskets (something that didn't come very easily in the halfcourt game, as I said earlier). But Tubby would only use it sparingly. It was mind numbing to see a talented thief like Al Nolen not even be allowed to pick up the opposing PG for 3/4 court pressure. 

In the end, Tubby's stubbornness is what cost him his job. I just think the AD felt that the ceiling for a Tubby Smith team was too low, and watching this year's team badly underperform was the nail in the coffin. 
3/27/2013 3:02 PM
Northwestern for Tubby? They'd love 3 NTs in 6 seasons!     

ETA: crap, i forgot they already hired Collins. now i have to root against them.

3/28/2013 10:38 AM (edited)
Enough about the late 90s scandal!   Y2K has come and gone.

Even the neurotic Red Sox fans could only ***** about the Ruth curse for so long. 

Tubby quit on his own program and was let go for it.
3/28/2013 10:51 AM
Why do you think schools are not lining up at Tubby's door begging him to coach them?
3/28/2013 10:53 AM
Posted by evil_twin on 3/28/2013 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Why do you think schools are not lining up at Tubby's door begging him to coach them?
He's too decent:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/25/2573802/mark-story-tubby-smith-is-too.html
3/28/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by thinair on 3/27/2013 1:44:00 PM (view original):
Running a clean program doesn't amount to very much these days. Sometimes within the next decade Calipari will leave Kentucky in shambles on his way to a broadcasting gig. 
+1
3/28/2013 12:48 PM
I'm waiting to see all of the big names lining up to be the next Gophers coach ...
3/28/2013 1:06 PM
Minnesota is delusional. Tubby is as good as it's going to get.
3/28/2013 1:36 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/28/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):
I'm waiting to see all of the big names lining up to be the next Gophers coach ...
yeah, i think tubby can pull a better job than MN can pull a coach... but we'll see! tubby had some pretty ****** luck there, and a lot of programs would be lucky to have him, i think - even if just for a 5 season turnaround job.
3/28/2013 1:50 PM
Texas Tech contacts Tubby.

That didn't take too long.

3/28/2013 8:17 PM
Posted by gillispie on 3/28/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
yeah, i think tubby can pull a better job than MN can pull a coach... but we'll see! tubby had some pretty ****** luck there, and a lot of programs would be lucky to have him, i think - even if just for a 5 season turnaround job.
What was the ****** luck? As a current Minnesota resident (fortunately from Wisconsin, however), I can confidently say Tubby was worthless.

They had talent this year. They just looked constantly disorganized. 
3/28/2013 10:37 PM
Posted by ike1024 on 3/28/2013 10:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 3/28/2013 1:50:00 PM (view original):
What was the ****** luck? As a current Minnesota resident (fortunately from Wisconsin, however), I can confidently say Tubby was worthless.

They had talent this year. They just looked constantly disorganized. 
as a UK fan, you are sort of preaching to the choir. but it seemed like they got hit by some major injuries, and some of those star players having legal trouble - im not sure how much that is their fault, and how much it is the coaching staff for not keeping them in line. i could also see tubby's administration being unwilling to tolerate personal failures that other programs could live with, and wouldnt really fault him for it.

i guess it just seemed like when he started to get things moving, they would have a big time player get injured, suspended, or transfer - although obviously, the coaching staff takes SOME blame for those incidents, i just think it was some bad luck, too. dont know the specifics but i was always rooting for tubby to succeed along the way, and remember a number of set backs...
3/29/2013 12:00 PM
by far the worst part of unmotivated tubby teams is their offense... standing on the perimeter, passing it around without off the ball movement, taking a poor 3 as the shot clock expired - it was the exact same for MN as it was for UK, and i sort of feel like everyone who gets so upset about Tubby getting run off from either program, just simply never watched his teams play!!
3/29/2013 12:01 PM
As an Alabama fan, I would definitely trade Anthony Grant for Tubby right now.  He was fired for having more success than Grant has ever even sniffed.  All I keep hearing is "he's won 20 games 3 straight years"..well whoopty-friggin-do.  20 wins = NIT when the SEC is down.  We're paying him 1.8M and I'm supposed to believe he's making progress when I see the same terrible basketball on the court in year 4 as I did in year 1.

I was excited when I read Minnesota might be looking at Grant to replace Tubby.  Please take him.
3/29/2013 1:10 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
OT: Tubby Smith Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.