Whats your favorite recruting spot? Topic

Posted by reddyred on 3/27/2013 11:18:00 AM (view original):
Texas is great. Especially if there is a down recruiting year and the potential of the generation is nice. There is usually plenty to go around after the big boys take their share. I'd guess the same could be said of all the big states that always have 200+ recruits.  
texas can be fantastic, but there are a ton of schools, so if they are mostly all full, it can get tight. texas will always support a couple top programs though. i once played at a&m with nobody else above a b- within texas, that was a really cushy job. 
3/27/2013 12:44 PM
colorado the school itself, or any of teh MWC schools there (particularly in utah) if colorado is down, can be really nice too. soon as you have like 2 strong MWC schools and big 12's colorado up there, it can be tighter, but colorado has the sole luxury, unless you count hawaii, of having a ton of recruits for whom they are the ONLY big 6 school within 360 miles. once your prestige is up enough, none of the big 6 schools can fight you at distance, and if the MWC is not that good, none of them have the money or prestige to fight. there are not that many recruits there, so its luck of the draw, but the level of competition you face is low. id love to coach there again - i didnt recruit internationally or at distance really in those days, i was a brand-spanking-new d1 coach, so i feel like if i went back now, it would be really cool.
3/27/2013 12:46 PM
In D3, I obviously favor my local states to keep things on the cheap, but I also look at the conferences that are 10+ Sim teams. Since lots of the D3 conferences are clustered around single states, a high Simmed conference indicates a state with many generated recruits, but a below-average level of competition (because Sims grab recruits from random locations) for the pool. I'll do the same thing by looking at which D2 conferences in my world are highly Simmed...those are good states to look at for potential dropdowns as they'll be generating D2 recruits with a below-average level of recruiting pressure going at them. Obviously this doesn't work as well in the northeast where, even if the Penn or SUNY are all-Sim conferences, there's 100 other schools nearby pulling from that pool, but in the west/midwest it can be a way to score big.

At D2, I'm a big fan of Texas. Lots of D1 programs, but many low tier D1's that are typically simmed so you get a high number of D2 recruits generated PLUS the D1/D2 borderline kids that are getting generated that aren't being pursued because the in-state smaller D1 programs are simmed and doing random grabs of players while the Big 12/CUSA crew are chasing after bigger fish and typically won't bother with them.

3/27/2013 2:35 PM
I like to be near big cities in D2 and D3.    The 70 mile exception is a huge advantage.
3/27/2013 4:12 PM
Northeast is good in d3; you can fss a bunch of nearby local small states and benefit from fss discounts.
3/27/2013 11:25 PM
DIII has plenty of prime locales, some top areas would be Colorado, the Deep South like Louisiana and Alabama but there are a ton of others. In dII I enjoyed my time in the Boston vicinity, good amount of low level dI players to pull down. Lower level dI has a sweet spot in upstate New York if the Ohio and Penn schools are mostly sim. For the Big 6 Colorado is darn good but Louisiana primo and Miami seems rather nice.
3/28/2013 12:47 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 3/26/2013 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/26/2013 7:06:00 PM (view original):
I'd really rather not share that information...
And yet, I can look at your team's rosters and see where your players came from.  Not that hard to figure out really.
So can the OP, but I'm not going to spoonfeed him the information...
3/28/2013 12:48 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/28/2013 12:48:00 AM (view original):
And yet, I can look at your team's rosters and see where your players came from.  Not that hard to figure out really.
This was just a fun interesting post stop getting worked up over it
3/28/2013 7:08 AM
I really don't get the "we have to make it difficult for people" inclination.
3/28/2013 8:05 AM
I like my home state of Wisconsin.  I like recognizing the schools, although there are quite a few I have never heard of which surprises me seeing that I coach high school basketball.  Funny little fact here....I went to West Bend East High School, there is also a West Bend West High School.  The two schools are attached and you actually go to some classes with kids from the other school.  We share the same field house, swimming pool, football field, baseball diamonds, etc... we do have seperate cafeterias and libraries although you can go to either if you want.  By the way, which one you go to is determined by the oldest childs birthdate.  If you were born on an even day your family goes to East, odd to West.  It opened in 1970 so now they are constantly running into situations where mom or dad went to one school and their child is going to the other.  Some don't care and some hate it.  I think it is the only school in the country set up that way.
3/28/2013 8:22 AM
Posted by uwrjl93 on 3/28/2013 8:22:00 AM (view original):
I like my home state of Wisconsin.  I like recognizing the schools, although there are quite a few I have never heard of which surprises me seeing that I coach high school basketball.  Funny little fact here....I went to West Bend East High School, there is also a West Bend West High School.  The two schools are attached and you actually go to some classes with kids from the other school.  We share the same field house, swimming pool, football field, baseball diamonds, etc... we do have seperate cafeterias and libraries although you can go to either if you want.  By the way, which one you go to is determined by the oldest childs birthdate.  If you were born on an even day your family goes to East, odd to West.  It opened in 1970 so now they are constantly running into situations where mom or dad went to one school and their child is going to the other.  Some don't care and some hate it.  I think it is the only school in the country set up that way.
This is crazy. Thanks for sharing!
3/28/2013 12:49 PM
so why even bother posting to say absolutely nothing?
3/28/2013 1:06 PM
Am in D2 and love MN despite being in WV. Just have gotten some real quality out of there with relative ease.
3/28/2013 1:29 PM
I like being at a school on the geographic edge of a really good conference. Washington (MO) in St. Louis is great if the Upstate is strong, like in Wooden. There, I recruit TN, AR, and OK fairly heavily. When I was at Pomona in the SCIAC in Knight, I would recruit CO, MT, ND, SD, and NE fairly heavily. I moved over to DIII Colorado a few seasons ago to fully take advantage of the area. At DII, I am at Mercyhurst in the GLV in Tark. It's the easternmost school in the conference. I have a recruiting money advantage over other DII PA schools, but to Trentonjoe's point, there are rarely good recruits within 70 miles of Erie, PA.

The best recruiting ground varies a bit depending on the world. For example, at DIII in Naismith, Capital Athletic and Freedom (NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA recruiting area) are really strong. The best way to go was toward the Carolinas or the AR, OK, MO direction. Recently, a bunch of strong coaches loaded up one of the TX conferences. Now, OK and AR are not as accessible. In other worlds, the NY and PA conferences are weak, making those states fairly awesome.
3/29/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by reddyred on 3/28/2013 1:06:00 PM (view original):
so why even bother posting to say absolutely nothing?
Increase my jackass rating?
3/29/2013 2:19 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Whats your favorite recruting spot? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.