Realign conferences Topic

Wow.  I can understand a few more off days but if you mean to say the game would be OK with one game a week, I think you completely miss the boat on the target audience.  I hate off days too, maybe not as much as milwood, but still they aren't my favorite part of the season.  They are the necessary evil and, honestly, I see extremely little value in a realistic conference structure and scheduling.  At best I could see them moving a team or two here and there but what does it really buy you?  Some guy who wasn't going to sign up anyway (because he obviously didn't buy in to the whole "made up" thing) would play the game?  Hardly.

I'm not against it as long as it would be done well but I just don't see the value in it.

Edit: After taking my dogs out, I've had a chance to think about it and if you change the game to one or two games a week, you've probably killed the game for most of the current players.

3/27/2013 11:03 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I don't like off days either if you are trying to gauge responses. Also, I see no reason to move anything. Others are entitled to their opinion, but if one of my teams were moved to a different conference/division I would have to consider if I cared to keep playing or not. 
3/28/2013 12:55 AM
How in the hell have we gotten to page 3 and NOBODY has pointed out to graff that if we're going to stress realism, we have to continue to put CT winners into the NT.  I'm sure he would agree with that.  Now if we make conferences different sizes, schools from smaller conferences have an inherent advantage in terms of their access to the tournament - better odds of winning the CT.  Do you really think introducing what would actually be a sizable imbalance in the playing field is worth mirroring RL conferences?

This year, the A10 had 16 teams.  The Patriot League, an AQ league, had only 8 (the Great West is technically a D1 league with 5 schools but does not carry an automatic tournament bid).  Should Patriot League teams really have twice the shot at winning their CTs and earning and automatic tournament bid as A10 teams?  That seems ridiculous to me.
3/28/2013 1:04 AM
Posted by graff on 3/27/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/27/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by graff on 3/27/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Put it this way, if we don't "care" about real conferences, and they are as incorrect and made-up as they currently are, and customers are okay with that, then I ask why even bother with ANY conference affiliations? Why not just let the sim schedule you to play 26 games against random opponents? I mean the team  you are playing doesn't matter right? After all it doesn't matter if it's realistic or if those teams ever play each other in real life. It's all just make-believe and we need it to be as easy on the developers as possible.

Would you guys be okay with THAT? 

I say again, this sim doesn't have to be PERFECT but it does have to be ROOTED in reality. Otherwise I can go play dice against my computer RNG and accomplish the same thing. I could even call the result of our die rolls a "basketball game" if I wanted :).
I think re-organizing the conferences is a good idea. How would you do it, keeping 12-team conferences?
I reject the constraint of 12-team conferences. I think it's EASIER for them for sure, but it's not necessarily the best.

Somebody else on here mentioned some consternation others had about off days. Why?? I'd much rather have 5-10 off days a season that would be required to allow for different schedules from different sized conferences. All it would do is make your $12.95 last a week longer per season. Maybe WiS could raise the price to $13.95 to recoup the additional time and not take a hit on revenue since more people would be apt to join and continue to participate in a sim that's much more realistic. 
So you really think that there is this group of people just itching to join WIS, but the only thing holding them back is conference alignment?  And, just to make sure I'm getting this straight.. WIS is going to weaken the existing gameplay experience by adding in more off days (which would also lower traffic to their site... which those with advertising space here would just love I'm sure), and then they are going to increase the price of the product.  And they will be increasing the season turnover per world, which is where they collect their revenue... not to mention the customers they'd lose for such a time wasting change.  But hey, at least Notre Dame wouldn't be in the B1G - I'm sure the customers would pour in once that change is done.  Who cares about recruit generation or adding more end game settings or addressing baseline prestige issues or any of the other dozens of proposed changes that actually improve the engine, let's just focus on moving teams around and causing scheduling headaches.  

I don't think you understand business.  Not even a little bit.  Your points are "akin" to my check engine light coming on in my car and my solution is to change my wiper blades.
3/28/2013 1:17 AM
I can't believe we're on page 3 and people are still bantering with a guy that has played a total of 3 seasons of HD, with no active teams in all of WIS.
3/28/2013 1:25 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 3/28/2013 1:25:00 AM (view original):
I can't believe we're on page 3 and people are still bantering with a guy that has played a total of 3 seasons of HD, with no active teams in all of WIS.
+1 hahaha
3/28/2013 2:19 AM
I hate off days.  I would like to see Nebraska switched with Notre Dame. I don't have a team in the Big Ten or Big 12, but I sure hope to some day! Of course, I am not sure what to do once Rutgers and Maryland join the conference.
3/28/2013 8:17 AM
Definitely need to realign conferences.

And can we actually have a D1 St. Mary's (CA) ??!?

And how about a few Australian international recruits ?!?
3/28/2013 1:39 PM
It's pretty simple why I hate off days.....I like this simulation and silly as it sounds I look forward to my game results every morning. Mornings, or afternoons, when I don't have a game just seem to be missing something. I do enjoy going over the box scores and the pbp. I don't know maybe I enjoy it a little too much?

If there were more off days I would lose interest pretty quickly. I enjoy seeing my guys develop and thinking about having it take twice as long to see a player reach his potential just isn't appealing to me. I guess I fall into that category of people that need instant gratification.

I actually think just the opposite of the op. I think the NCAA should look at HD and realign its conferences to match this game. Conferences at DI have just gotten out of hand. Okay, that was said somewhat in jest, but I don't think the game play woud be improved just by aligning conferences
3/28/2013 1:43 PM
I think the NCAA should look at HD and realign its conferences to match this game.
Not only would that be better, I think it's more likely to happen.
3/28/2013 4:37 PM
Posted by graff on 3/27/2013 9:49:00 AM (view original):
I understand that the 12 teams/conference cookie cutter makes life easier for people but why are we FORCED to live in that box again? 

Why can't teams play different numbers of conference and non-conference games, just like in real life? It might mean the coders have to have different schedule functions based on the conference affiliation but I don't see why it's not doable.

Honest question here because the make believe conferences really detracts from the game. I had a friend ready to sign up until they saw this and I got laughed out of the office for playing a "totally erroneous fantasy land game akin to dungeons and dragons built upon a big random number generator". Sadly I couldn't argue too much.
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot, and so is your friend.

12 teams per conference makes things as FAIR and EQUAL as possible for all players...if each conference has an auto bid (like HD does) what conference do you want to be in, the 8 team, or the 16 team conference?  Hmmm...simple probabilities.

WIS is running a business here, dude, not selling you a game that you sit and play by yourself.  They have to cater to thousands of customers in HD and GD, and there's no wiggle room.  If WIS did a realignment like you're suggesting, a ton more people would quit (me included) than would join the game to even compensate.  You'd rather upset the fair and competitive balance in a game you know **** about because you're used to playing EA March Madness...gmafb.  The only office you got laughed out of was the principal's office with your bff because with your mindset, you can't be older than 16.

I used to talk a lot of **** about this game too....recruiting sucks/should be easier/more like EA NCAA football, ******** about losing when I didn't gameplan, griping about practice plan changes, etc...and guess what, I played the game for a few months straight, stood toe to toe, fought, and asked questions of fellow vets and realized that this is probably the best college sports game IN THE WORLD.

When you learn to accept the game for the great product that it is, rather than seeing it for its "faults" because it isn't how you want it to be, you too will agree with the rest of us.  The business model (all 12 team conferences) is spot on for this game.

3/28/2013 6:57 PM
Posted by graff on 3/27/2013 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 3/27/2013 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by graff on 3/27/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Put it this way, if we don't "care" about real conferences, and they are as incorrect and made-up as they currently are, and customers are okay with that, then I ask why even bother with ANY conference affiliations? Why not just let the sim schedule you to play 26 games against random opponents? I mean the team  you are playing doesn't matter right? After all it doesn't matter if it's realistic or if those teams ever play each other in real life. It's all just make-believe and we need it to be as easy on the developers as possible.

Would you guys be okay with THAT? 

I say again, this sim doesn't have to be PERFECT but it does have to be ROOTED in reality. Otherwise I can go play dice against my computer RNG and accomplish the same thing. I could even call the result of our die rolls a "basketball game" if I wanted :).
I think re-organizing the conferences is a good idea. How would you do it, keeping 12-team conferences?
I reject the constraint of 12-team conferences. I think it's EASIER for them for sure, but it's not necessarily the best.

Somebody else on here mentioned some consternation others had about off days. Why?? I'd much rather have 5-10 off days a season that would be required to allow for different schedules from different sized conferences. All it would do is make your $12.95 last a week longer per season. Maybe WiS could raise the price to $13.95 to recoup the additional time and not take a hit on revenue since more people would be apt to join and continue to participate in a sim that's much more realistic. 
Trust me, I really hate being this guy, but...

you're 22-60 in 3 seasons...."realistic conferences" should be the least of your concern...win something and get back to me...

3/28/2013 7:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Realign conferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.