OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

After viewing this video on ESPN of Rutger's coach Mike Rice, I will be shocked if they aren't looking for a head coach VERY soon.

espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9125796/practice-video-shows-rutgers-basketball-coach-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players
4/2/2013 10:10 PM
They should looking for a new AD too. Pernetti's judgement is as egregious as Rice's behavior.
4/2/2013 10:12 PM
I was nervous!  At first I thought it was video of me coaching at Manchester.  But I noticed the coach in the video wasn't drunk. Whoa!  That was a close call!
4/2/2013 11:12 PM (edited)
Mike Rice is out at Rutgers.  And so far the AD is still in place.

When I first saw the footage I thought it must have been a story on Rutgers switching conferences and the coach was just developing a Dodgeball team that was BigTen worthy.
4/3/2013 12:20 PM
Siena has selected Jimmy Patsos, head coach at Loyola (MD)
4/3/2013 2:15 PM
Old Dominion's new coach is Jeff Jones of American Univ. He was formerly the head coach at Virginia
4/3/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by commish118 on 4/2/2013 10:10:00 PM (view original):
After viewing this video on ESPN of Rutger's coach Mike Rice, I will be shocked if they aren't looking for a head coach VERY soon.

espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9125796/practice-video-shows-rutgers-basketball-coach-mike-rice-berated-pushed-used-slurs-players
I'm actually shocked that one of the players didnt knock Rice out.  I know that if I was one of his players, I would have gone totally postal on this idiot.
4/3/2013 3:56 PM
Minnesota has agreed in principle with Richard Pitino of Florida International.  
4/4/2013 4:33 AM
The finalists at Ball State appear to be Jeff Neubauer (Eastern Kentucky) and Scott Davenport (DII Bellarmine)
4/4/2013 4:36 AM
Longwood has selected Jayson Gee, Cleveland St. assistant. He was formerly the head coach at DII U. of Charleston for 7 seaons, leading them to 6 NCAA bids. 
4/4/2013 5:50 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/4/2013 4:33:00 AM (view original):
ooh, very interesting. if that kid has nearly the head on his shoulders that his dad does, that could be a very good hire. probably will take him a couple seasons to get things figured out, but im super interested to see how that goes. i love coach cal but pitino is a much better tactician and game coach, maybe the best active NCAA coach there is. im sure his boy wont be able to recruit like his dad does but seems that can be learned and developed over time. but if he inherited the tactical mind, thats something special.

4/4/2013 11:17 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/4/2013 4:33:00 AM (view original):
Oddly enough, Richard Pitino is replacing Tubby Smith, the same person who replaced his dad at Kentucky.
4/4/2013 12:26 PM
I think Minnesota got what they wanted.  They needed a veteran coach to come in to pick the program up off the mat, and add some integrity and credibility. Now they bring in a young up-and-coming coach.  But it is has it's risks.  The school has shown it is very impatient and wants to be at the top no matter what the cost.  If young Patino doesn't do better than Tubby, he may not last long, which will cast another black eye on the program.  If he is successful,  he will probably use this program as a stepping stone.
4/4/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by 2bounce on 4/4/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
I think Minnesota got what they wanted.  They needed a veteran coach to come in to pick the program up off the mat, and add some integrity and credibility. Now they bring in a young up-and-coming coach.  But it is has it's risks.  The school has shown it is very impatient and wants to be at the top no matter what the cost.  If young Patino doesn't do better than Tubby, he may not last long, which will cast another black eye on the program.  If he is successful,  he will probably use this program as a stepping stone.
i feel like minnesota will give him time to prove himself. in 6 seasons, if they are crap, then yeah - i think hes gone. on some gophers board, a couple dudes were saying they will know from this first class if they got an upgrade or not - that sounds crazy to me - hes got ONE season in his life as a head coach. when you hire someone that young, it seems you have to expect it to take some time, for them to get ramped up. wonder what they are gonna pay him?

the other thing is, im sure little rick will be getting some advice from daddio. slick rick maintains a high degree of control at louisville (and his other coaching gigs), and pretty much seems to get what he wants. i would think he would be advising his son to push for a practice facility and bigger commitment/support from teague and the minnesota boosters, for the basketball program, as a condition of his acceptance of the job. with more support, i see no reason minnesota cant grow into a michigan state (eventually), or at least, a wisconsin. kids these days seem to have short memories. if little rick gets the support from the staff and is doing a good job, im not sure he would want to just jump somewhere else - he would be hailed as a hero for thing like a sweet 16 and such, and if he rebuilds minnesota in a major way, that could really open the door for him to get a top notch job afterwards - i dont see much advantage to jumping to a slightly better situation and having to "start over", or if they are in good shape, you dont really get the "savior" credit.

i dont know much about him though... his personality could have a huge impact on what he'd do. does anyone know if he got his dad's ego? love for the limelight? does he have an abnormally high number of mirrors in the house?
4/4/2013 3:28 PM

Texas State has hired Danny Kaspar (Stephen F. Austin)
4/4/2013 3:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.