coach_billyg - A Manefesto on 1st Class Usership Topic

At D3, I often have players from all of the country on my roster and don't scout some local states.  Why?  Market inefficiencies.  If you can find where the market inefficiencies are, your team will be much better.  On my best Roanoke teams (VA), I had players from the midwest and westcoast.  Did I randomly scout some states out there to find these guys?  Hell no, I was smart about my FSS money and found the states that would get me the most bang for my buck.  
4/24/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by tbird9423 on 4/23/2013 11:00:00 PM (view original):

For what it i worth, I do think it is possible to not recruit the two schools close to each other but still use one school (that might not need the money) to FSS for another school (that could use the money?)  I also have often wondered how a person will get someone from halfway across the country who turns out to be good, especially at lower levels.  I think we all know the answer as no one is going to randomly scout states 2000 miles away from their school and then spend the money to scout the player as well? 
   People can convince themselves of whatever but I don't see the need for two teams in one world based on the reasoning that the other worlds pace is just too different.  I would think the only answer is a new world every once in a while?  Besides, having 12 teams or 20 teams doesn't seem to make much sense-- doesn't your community have a school or a big brothers big sisters where you could affect real life?  They could actually kill two birds with one stone by not being a self-absorbed piecer and by not being able to cheat. 

You have to recruit nationally if you want to be successful sometimes... Doesn't mean you're a cheat if you have recruits on your team 2,000 miles away...smh. And I definitely see pace being an issue... I couldn't bare a season taking 2 months to end... I only play in 2 a day worlds and I have a team in every 2 a day world... if I wanted another team I would definitely not join a one a day world. Luckily the teams I have is all I can handle so I won't have that problem but other coaches who really study the game may want more 2 a day world teams. There's plenty of reason to have 2 teams in one world with the current setup.
4/24/2013 1:17 PM
People just don't seem to get how insignificant these on-goings are...but they hear the word "cheat(ing)" and they perk up, light their torches, ****, moan, and cry about stuff that doesn't matter, etc.

My advice to all of you crying about cheating, create a new ID, buy your first HD season for $4.95, get a second team with a bunch of open 'ships in a world that does or doesn't meet the 1000 mile requirement (I don't care) and use this dummy team to purchase FSS for the area that your first team would normally recruit.  Recruit with your first team, ghost ship the other if you like and see what you think...then you'll be able to have an accurate sense of what's going on.

I did this very thing 3+ years ago, I got a "welcome back" offer on one of my other IDs, purchased it, and got a team (1160 miles away from my #1 team mind you) and bought FSS to recruit for my main team.  My conclusions...

1.  It's not worth the $4.95/$12.95 that you would pay just to buy FSS for your other team...so A. it's a waste of money, if you don't genuinely care about your second ID's team.

2.  It's a pain in the *** to be logging in and out of multiple IDs...I have 4 and have used only this colonels19 ID for the last 2+ years.

3.  It doubles your workload, you scout on one ID and recruit on the other...again, not worth the effort if you ask me.

4.  It's not as big of an advantage as I thought it would be, and I never saw a reason to do it again, mainly citing point #1 here.  If you need to attempt to do this, you're pathetic, and I'll have a joyous time pimping your penny-pinching ***.

Go ahead and try it, I won't rat you out...I just want you to make up your own damn minds about "cheating" AFTER you've understood what the "cheating" is all about...a lot of you just want to seem to yell bloody murder about something that you don't entirely grasp.

4/24/2013 1:51 PM
Posted by tkimble on 4/24/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
At D3, I often have players from all of the country on my roster and don't scout some local states.  Why?  Market inefficiencies.  If you can find where the market inefficiencies are, your team will be much better.  On my best Roanoke teams (VA), I had players from the midwest and westcoast.  Did I randomly scout some states out there to find these guys?  Hell no, I was smart about my FSS money and found the states that would get me the most bang for my buck.  
I haven't played D3 in a while, but I agree with TK here.  I frequently scouted a variety of states; sometimes I'd ignore some local states while spending in some distant states.  My strategy was to filter recruits first (before knowing their potential), to find the number in each state that might be good enough to sign and who I might be able to land.  I'd then divide the cost of scouting a state by the number of recruits who made it through the filter.  I'd then scout the states that had the lowest cost on a "per possibility" basis... so I frequently scouted MANY of the low-population states because if they had even a few guys of interest to me, the low cost of the entire state would make it worthwhile to scout there.

I also would hold back some of my budget until the last day of recruiting.  At that point, many recruits have already signed - which means the cost to FSS any given state also significantly drops.

Do I think cheating is an issue?  Honestly don't know, because I have no idea how many people do it, or how much of an advantage they get from it.  But do I get suspicious when a D3 team has good players from all over the country?  No.  Because this is certainly possible to do legally, and I'm sure lots of other coaches probably use a similar approach to the one I did in D3.

4/24/2013 2:14 PM
I occasionally  spend more than 50% of my money in DIII in scouting.  My NYU team has players from Alaska and Hawaii on it.   For awhile, I think I had a kid from WASHINGTON in every class.
4/24/2013 2:26 PM
So now that more than a handful of pretty damn experienced coaches have called TBird out on his "scouting distant states" comment, I wonder if he'll have the guts to come back and admit that he was wrong?  Badly wrong.  I'm sure he won't though.
4/24/2013 2:52 PM
Back in my Championship runs at Drew, I have spent 95% of budget on FSS on several occasions, signing 5 players for $110 each. 
4/24/2013 3:08 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/24/2013 1:51:00 PM (view original):
People just don't seem to get how insignificant these on-goings are...but they hear the word "cheat(ing)" and they perk up, light their torches, ****, moan, and cry about stuff that doesn't matter, etc.

My advice to all of you crying about cheating, create a new ID, buy your first HD season for $4.95, get a second team with a bunch of open 'ships in a world that does or doesn't meet the 1000 mile requirement (I don't care) and use this dummy team to purchase FSS for the area that your first team would normally recruit.  Recruit with your first team, ghost ship the other if you like and see what you think...then you'll be able to have an accurate sense of what's going on.

I did this very thing 3+ years ago, I got a "welcome back" offer on one of my other IDs, purchased it, and got a team (1160 miles away from my #1 team mind you) and bought FSS to recruit for my main team.  My conclusions...

1.  It's not worth the $4.95/$12.95 that you would pay just to buy FSS for your other team...so A. it's a waste of money, if you don't genuinely care about your second ID's team.

2.  It's a pain in the *** to be logging in and out of multiple IDs...I have 4 and have used only this colonels19 ID for the last 2+ years.

3.  It doubles your workload, you scout on one ID and recruit on the other...again, not worth the effort if you ask me.

4.  It's not as big of an advantage as I thought it would be, and I never saw a reason to do it again, mainly citing point #1 here.  If you need to attempt to do this, you're pathetic, and I'll have a joyous time pimping your penny-pinching ***.

Go ahead and try it, I won't rat you out...I just want you to make up your own damn minds about "cheating" AFTER you've understood what the "cheating" is all about...a lot of you just want to seem to yell bloody murder about something that you don't entirely grasp.

Your conclusions are just horrible, sorry.  I only have one ID and couldn't really care less about people having multiple ID's - however I do think there should be some checks put in place to keep them honest (or just make FSS free, which is the simplest solution).  But that post was just ridiculous.

Your first reason is fine only in the scenario where someone is using the FREEHD or whatever code to do FSS for one season.  The complaint is more about teams who use their D1 budget to scout for their second D2/D3 team, which obviously provides a large advantage.  It's a scenario where you care about both teams, can use the large D1 budget to FSS and then save that money to send extra effort to your lower division targets.  Nobody really knows how rare it is, so you can't really call it insignificant.

Your second and third reasons are just you not being intelligent enough to find one of the many ways to keep more than one ID logged in at once.  There are multiple ways to get the WIS - if you have two ID's, you can keep one logged in on wisjournal and one logged in on whatifsports... that simple.  Or use two different browsers if you want to use the same address.

Of course you think it's insignificant since, based on that post, you don't seem to even understand what people are talking about here.
4/24/2013 3:26 PM
My point is...people hear the word "cheating" and they try to make it some grandios offense, when essentially you're just getting free scouting...that you're monetarily paying for.  I just want people to understand what the "cheating" is because they're being ridiculous and that the 1000 mile limit/rule is pointless because you can "cheat" equally from anywhere.

The funny thing is, the rule says this...."cheating" is allowed over 1000 miles, but not under 1000 miles...it's got to be one of the dumbest double standards I've ever come across.

4/24/2013 7:16 PM (edited)
Right. So let's get rid of the ridiculousness of having a sole guy have multiple accounts in one world.
4/24/2013 7:17 PM
No, just make FSS free, you'd rather **** off a lot of people than do something that makes the best sense....that's bad business, man.
4/24/2013 7:19 PM
I do think making FSS free is probably the best way to fix the issue, but I have to say I like having to buy states as part of recruiting strategy. 
4/24/2013 7:39 PM
I dont like the idea of making FSS free, not for DI anyways. 
4/24/2013 7:41 PM
yea that's what I mean, I like buying states lol D1 or otherwise... but it would fix the issue. I know colonels has been suggesting this for a very long time. 
4/24/2013 7:59 PM
Bjb's suggestion a few pages back is a good one.
4/24/2013 8:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17 Next ▸
coach_billyg - A Manefesto on 1st Class Usership Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.