if a team is shooting on average 23 3's a game... do I wanna run typically a +2? my original thought would be +2 and double team his low post dominance since I don't have a great LP defender
4/20/2013 8:45 AM
+2 is somewhat extreme - +3 is very extreme.  Only do that in a case where it is really your only hope.

consider doubling if leading scorer - a bit less likely to take you out of position

doubling will work best if your guards have good speed - so they can get there on the double but also get back to cover their men
4/20/2013 10:20 AM
I think it would depend on your defense. At 23 3's per game, personally, I woud go 0 or +1 depending on how what the rest of their shot distribution looks like. This is the case if you run a man or press though. If you run a zone, at 3-2 maybe a 0 or -1, at 2-3 maybe a +1 or possibly a +2, but I would roll with the 3-2 unless it's only 1 player shooting those 3's.
4/20/2013 11:21 AM
Posted by fd343ny on 4/20/2013 10:21:00 AM (view original):
+2 is somewhat extreme - +3 is very extreme.  Only do that in a case where it is really your only hope.

consider doubling if leading scorer - a bit less likely to take you out of position

doubling will work best if your guards have good speed - so they can get there on the double but also get back to cover their men
Interesting.  I personally don't consider a +2 setting even somewhat extreme.  To each their own, I guess.
4/20/2013 12:27 PM
23 threes a game out of how mqny shots total?
4/20/2013 12:32 PM
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/20/2013 11:21:00 AM (view original):
I think it would depend on your defense. At 23 3's per game, personally, I woud go 0 or +1 depending on how what the rest of their shot distribution looks like. This is the case if you run a man or press though. If you run a zone, at 3-2 maybe a 0 or -1, at 2-3 maybe a +1 or possibly a +2, but I would roll with the 3-2 unless it's only 1 player shooting those 3's.
i pretty much agree with this statement.

i'm no expert but...
i'd look at :
a.) how many 3s vs how many shots per game.. is it 23 fg3 out of 50? 60? etc.  I mean, 23 fg3 out of 60 would be what.. 30% of their shots?
b.) point distribution.  Are they guard heavy?  Do the guards score more than 60% of their total offense? 70% of their offense??

As an example (and i think this might be your case)
a.) fg3a between 30-35%
b.) guards are 60% vs 40% forwards..

then i'd probably go with a 0 or +1..

4/20/2013 4:10 PM
I play +3 and +4 all the time against three-point shooting teams, and usually to pretty good results. Only time I'm careful about that is if my opponent has a big rebounding advantage.
4/22/2013 11:59 PM
Posted by mniven on 4/22/2013 11:59:00 PM (view original):
I play +3 and +4 all the time against three-point shooting teams, and usually to pretty good results. Only time I'm careful about that is if my opponent has a big rebounding advantage.
I agree with this.  Lots of times I don't think teams push out far enough (maybe the coach doesn't feel comfortable, I don't know), but if a team shoots a lot of threes (to me a lot is 40% or more), I've got no problems whatsoever at setting my defense at a +3 or +4.  Sometimes it doesn't work out, but then again, sometimes nothing you do works out.  I guess that's why the best teams don't win every game, right?  Still, if a team launches threes like that, my personal feeling is that it's in my best interests to stop that and hope I can control their low post players and the rebounding battle.  After all, three counts more than two, right?  To each their own though.
4/23/2013 2:07 AM
I dont have a problem with going +3 or +4 if the team shoots enough 3's. Catch is, 23 3's is not a +3 or +4 game. To go out that far, the opponent needs to be shooting 27+ 3's a game. Anything under that and I'm +2 unless that is all they are shooting is 3's.
4/23/2013 2:35 AM
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/23/2013 2:35:00 AM (view original):
I dont have a problem with going +3 or +4 if the team shoots enough 3's. Catch is, 23 3's is not a +3 or +4 game. To go out that far, the opponent needs to be shooting 27+ 3's a game. Anything under that and I'm +2 unless that is all they are shooting is 3's.
And what if he's running slowdown and he's only attempting 50 shots for the game?  That's 46% of his shots, and you're telling me that's not a +3 or +4?
4/24/2013 12:12 AM
Wow, I really have to think hard before going with a +4  so I would put that at the extreme level but a +2 isn't really a very tough call for me most of the time.
4/24/2013 12:21 AM
Posted by Lizak on 4/24/2013 12:21:00 AM (view original):
Wow, I really have to think hard before going with a +4  so I would put that at the extreme level but a +2 isn't really a very tough call for me most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, I too believe that +4 is an extreme setting.  But for teams that launch 40% or more of their shots from deep, I consider that extreme also.  It's all relative I guess and to each their own.  More than one way to have success at this game, certainly.
4/24/2013 12:37 AM
Emy, does your personnel determine your plus or minus settings? I mean, let's say that team is shooting 44% of their shots from 3pt range but you have guards with  high ATH, SPD and DEF. How much would that change your setting if you were less comfortable with your guard's defense?

Also, do you scramble your lineup around for defense? Match his one player that shoots 60% of his shots from 3pt range with your best and fastest defender, etc?

4/24/2013 12:59 AM
I agree with you on that emy, I was expressing surprise that someone thought +2 was extreme.
4/24/2013 1:12 AM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/24/2013 12:59:00 AM (view original):
Emy, does your personnel determine your plus or minus settings? I mean, let's say that team is shooting 44% of their shots from 3pt range but you have guards with  high ATH, SPD and DEF. How much would that change your setting if you were less comfortable with your guard's defense?

Also, do you scramble your lineup around for defense? Match his one player that shoots 60% of his shots from 3pt range with your best and fastest defender, etc?

Sometimes my personnel dictates that Craig, but not always.  If I have guards that are weaker on defense, then I might back off a bit, sure, but not too much even then.

As far as moving players around, back when I was REALLY into this game, I had the reputation in a couple of my conferences as a "tinkerer".  I'd move guys around all the time.  Now, since I really don't pay as close of attention as I should, I might go with the same lineup for several games in a row with no changes.  That's just me losing interest in the game though.  Come NT time, I'm right back to my tinkering.  My general philosophy is to match my best defenders against their best offensive players, with little regard to how that will affect my own scorers.  I've kind of adopted a defense-first mentality.
4/24/2013 2:01 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.