My time here is coming to an end Topic

Posted by slyman9 on 4/22/2013 4:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm done this this thread bc it looks like the masses have come out in force now and are just going to try and take shots at me. I never had a complaint in my initial message to CS. I asked them why a situation occurred under identical circumstances that I previously had no problem with bc I didn't understand why myself. The response was pretty much 5 mins is too low which I think I could have figured out on my own since my player was ineligible bc I had him at 5 mins. This whole thread has nothing to do with me being right or wrong and if u had read thru the thread I accepted the fact that I was walking a thin line with SH mins. It has everything to do with a response from CS not explaining to what I felt was adequate for the amount of $$ or time I have spent on WIS
thats your best bet. the forums can be pretty unforgiving, especially over the last week, ive had to wonder why i even bother...

i can see where others are coming from, its kind of an overreaction, the normal **** we all put up with all the time. however, i would have hoped that could have been communicated with fewer personal attacks, given that most people playing this game have had similar "the sky is falling" moments, to later realize, it wasn't as bad as it seemed in the moment. usually more than once :)

its no wonder coaches like oldresorter almost never post anymore. the one thing i wish most strongly about this game is that people would realize this is a STRICTLY FOR FUN GAME AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. im not perfect, but the forums have been out of control lately.
4/22/2013 4:45 PM
Waaaaaa, Waaaaaaaaa, look at me crying how unfair one guy got bad grades in all my seasons.  What a putz
4/22/2013 4:54 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 4/22/2013 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slyman9 on 4/22/2013 4:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm done this this thread bc it looks like the masses have come out in force now and are just going to try and take shots at me. I never had a complaint in my initial message to CS. I asked them why a situation occurred under identical circumstances that I previously had no problem with bc I didn't understand why myself. The response was pretty much 5 mins is too low which I think I could have figured out on my own since my player was ineligible bc I had him at 5 mins. This whole thread has nothing to do with me being right or wrong and if u had read thru the thread I accepted the fact that I was walking a thin line with SH mins. It has everything to do with a response from CS not explaining to what I felt was adequate for the amount of $$ or time I have spent on WIS
thats your best bet. the forums can be pretty unforgiving, especially over the last week, ive had to wonder why i even bother...

i can see where others are coming from, its kind of an overreaction, the normal **** we all put up with all the time. however, i would have hoped that could have been communicated with fewer personal attacks, given that most people playing this game have had similar "the sky is falling" moments, to later realize, it wasn't as bad as it seemed in the moment. usually more than once :)

its no wonder coaches like oldresorter almost never post anymore. the one thing i wish most strongly about this game is that people would realize this is a STRICTLY FOR FUN GAME AND SHOULD BE TREATED AS SUCH. im not perfect, but the forums have been out of control lately.
Please. The OP came here solely to toss CS under the bus. Let's not pretend he's an innocent victim.

I happen to appreciate the job CS does here, and posted in the thread because the attack here is simply without any merit.

Invitation to OP to post his original ticket stands.
4/22/2013 5:06 PM
"GPA is heavily influenced by study hall time, but there's no amount that is 100% guaranteed. 5 minutes of study hall is not a large amount. Many times that may be enough, but some players will need more. When you see something low like a 2.1, it's best to add study hall time to increase that player's odds of making the grade."

Nothing at all wrong with that statement ... How is that at all condescending, or even the slight bit negative?  If a player has 2.1 for the a given midterm, you need to have, at the very Minimum, 10 minutes of study hall time.  This is especially true if his HS GPA is less than 2.5.  This is just the facts, nothing negative about that advise.

This is their 2nd response:

"There is a random factor involved in GPA. Study hall is a modifier of that random factor, so the more you have the better your odds. But, there is no guarantee. Otherwise there would be no strategy involved.

This feature of the game has always worked similarly. In fact a somewhat recent change was made to increase the impact of study hall on the GPA outcome.

5 minutes is not a large amount for a freshman. I believe most coaches allocate closer to 10 minutes."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that statement either.  That is exactly what I would tell anyone who asked me for help as a mentor.

What, EXACTLY, did they say that is condescending or negative?
4/22/2013 5:11 PM
It's a kid, he knows no better.
4/22/2013 5:19 PM
JMO, hughes, but I find the first comments condescending to an experienced coach because it doesn't tell him anything he didn't already know. He's aware he needed to increase the SH minutes at mid-term. He said in his ticket (presumably) that he increased them at mid-term. And just the comment that it's best to increase SH minutes to improve grades is painfully obvious.  To me, that answer is akin to saying "well, it's obvious that you've never played this game before, so. . . ." 

Obviously, a lot of people in this thread have read it quite differently. The second statement doesn't read as condescending to me. But the first response is written as if sly is a complete moron. I'm guessing that's what irked him, and it probably would've irked me too.

FWIW, I might be more sensitive to this just because I teach freshman logic and spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to remind students of basic rules without making them feel like they're in kindergarten. 
4/22/2013 5:23 PM
Posted by slyman9 on 4/22/2013 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Recently in Rupp I had a FR player become ineligible because he received a 1.9 GPA in his final term. In his first 2 terms with 5 mins of SH this player got GPAs of 2.7 and 3.4 so I decided to bump down his SH in an attempt to get his ratings to improve faster as this guy has the ability to be a 200+ growth and 900 player by the time his career is over. In the third term his GPA dropped to 2.1 so I figured that if I simply move the SH back to 5 mins like it had been the previous 2 terms that at the very worst it would hold steady at 2.1 and figured more than likely it would go up to the 2.5-2.7 range. Then out comes the final term GPA and he wont be playing the rest of the season. So naturally I am not happy and decide to send a ticket to CS to figure out what the hell happened. The next exchange is what I have had with them starting with their response to my ticket: 

Customer Support
GPA is heavily influenced by study hall time, but there's no amount that is 100% guaranteed. 5 minutes of study hall is not a large amount. Many times that may be enough, but some players will need more. When you see something low like a 2.1, it's best to add study hall time to increase that player's odds of making the grade.

4/22/2013 9:33 AM slyman9
I have played this game for a very long time and I know how SH works. This response is an insult to me and how long I have been a paying customer to this website. A player should not have his GPA decrease from a 2.1 to a 1.9 after his SH mins get INCREASED back to the same level that had earned him a 2.7 & 3.4 earlier in the year.

Customer Support here has always been a huge joke and this just goes to reenforce that belief. I will not pay another penny to WIS and will not be returning once my seasons are over. This website has gone to **** since it got bought out and new management took over. To give someone who has been a loyal member of WIS since 2002 this response just shows how poorly management at this company is.

4/22/2013 9:38 AM Customer Support
There is a random factor involved in GPA. Study hall is a modifier of that random factor, so the more you have the better your odds. But, there is no guarantee. Otherwise there would be no strategy involved.

This feature of the game has always worked similarly. In fact a somewhat recent change was made to increase the impact of study hall on the GPA outcome.

5 minutes is not a large amount for a freshman. I believe most coaches allocate closer to 10 minutes.

Judging by the OP's original post in this thread, it would seem that CS should be the one to be upset.  His response to their answer is the one that looks arrogant, condescending, and rude.  You're telling the person answering the ticket that they are a "huge joke" and that their "website has gone to ****" and you think THEY are the ones with inappropriate answers?  Please.  Yes, you were probably upset and it was heat of the moment, but YOUR responses are far worse than ANY of Customer Services reponses.  Sorry, but it is what it is.  I'm actually surprised they even bothered to respond at all after the reply you sent them.
4/22/2013 5:28 PM
Posted by Reisscards on 4/22/2013 5:19:00 PM (view original):
And how old are you, may I ask?  You seem to have the maturity of a child with your constant personal attacks in recent threads.
4/22/2013 5:36 PM
Posted by udm_mike on 4/22/2013 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Reisscards on 4/22/2013 5:19:00 PM (view original):
And how old are you, may I ask?  You seem to have the maturity of a child with your constant personal attacks in recent threads.
He has been a bit grumpy lately, huh?
4/22/2013 5:37 PM
Original ticket: I just had a FR player ruled academically ineligible after having term GPA's of 2.7, 3.4, 2.1 and now 1.9. I don't remember my study hall history for the player but all of my FR ALWAYS start at 5 mins and get mins added or subtracted based on the mid term reports. My player is still at the 5 mins of study hall that earned him the 2.7 at the start of the year. I would like to hear an explanation to how the GPA of a player can drop this much at a setting that I had already used and had no problem with.
4/22/2013 5:41 PM
If that's your original ticket (and there isn't any reason to doubt that it is), then I fail to see how CS' response was out of line at all.  Their response to that question is just about "exactly" what I would expect them to say.  If that wasn't an acceptable answer for you, then you should have POLITELY pushed for a more detailed response, not called them a huge joke and said that their web site had gone to ****.  Again, I'm actually surprised they responded to you at all after that little gem.  Not seeing a problem here, at least from the Customer Service side.
4/22/2013 5:52 PM
Posted by slyman9 on 4/22/2013 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Original ticket: I just had a FR player ruled academically ineligible after having term GPA's of 2.7, 3.4, 2.1 and now 1.9. I don't remember my study hall history for the player but all of my FR ALWAYS start at 5 mins and get mins added or subtracted based on the mid term reports. My player is still at the 5 mins of study hall that earned him the 2.7 at the start of the year. I would like to hear an explanation to how the GPA of a player can drop this much at a setting that I had already used and had no problem with.
Thanks for posting this.

Your original question was polite, although it does reflect a complaint... call it an "implied complaint" if you like.

Here's the bigger problem: Your last sentence indicates you don't understand that GPAs aren't based on a static formula; there's a randomization component. CS tried to explain the risk factor there for you, since that was basically the question you asked, and you responded with a temper tantrum. Then CS tried to help you again, and you started this thread attacking them.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying your retirement thread.
4/22/2013 9:10 PM
I think it can all be chalked up too a tough semester, just a lot of research papers/science labs due around the same time. 
4/22/2013 9:18 PM
if GPA's are completely linear in regards to study hall minutes....or for that matter, if ANYTHING is completely linear with assigned ratings all of the time, it takes the randomness out of the game, making it completely formulaic, and hence....not fun.

Sly, instead of complaining, you should have just learned from and accepted the mistake. I always give my freshmen 10 minutes right off the bat. That's a pretty standard number. Only 5 minutes leaves a lot more to chance and luck. 
4/22/2013 9:47 PM
I recently had a similar experience except my player was a junior!  I got the warning and upped his SH minutes from 0 to 5 and he still flunked.  I know this is my fault since he flunked as a sophomore too. 

Okay, so I don't mean to jump on the negative bandwagon here, but what would have been an acceptable response?  It sounds to me like you want them to not only apologize for their egregious error, but to reinstate your player.  I don't think CS researches how long someone has been a paying customer, nor should they.  A newb deserves the same amount of courtesy as a veteran (maybe even a little bit more).  Unfortunately, it seems like that level of courtesy is virtually non-existent.
4/22/2013 9:50 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
My time here is coming to an end Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.