How to cover an enormous spread Topic

So my team (Martin Luther - Allen) hits the road for the first conference road game tonight, and we're 78 point favorites. I suppose it might be a bigger spread, but my RPI dropped from 8 to 15 and SOS dipped from ~20 all the way to 66 after last nights conference opening win over a team with a 294 RPI. 

I know it's just aesthetic, but it makes me chuckle. Has anyone ever actually *covered* a spread like this?

And yes, I'm fully aware that if I lose, I will need to bury my head in the sand for at least a season or two.

4/23/2013 5:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by reisshoosier on 4/23/2013 5:51:00 PM (view original):
now ask us if we care
Why are all of your posts unnecessarily malicious?
4/23/2013 6:01 PM
Ha, if troll blocking wasn't so easy, I might be offended.
4/23/2013 6:09 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 4/23/2013 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Ha, if troll blocking wasn't so easy, I might be offended.
Glad you're not, as you shouldn't be, but I'm really curious why this guy makes posts like this regularly.

In response to the topic of the thread, there have been triple-digit spreads before, and anything above 50 or so is very rarely covered.
4/23/2013 6:11 PM
Yeah, I don't know what you'd have to do to cover anything that large. It just makes me wonder what kind of algorithm goes into the spread in the first place. 
4/23/2013 6:17 PM
agree with backboy, tough to cover a spread that big. Need to get the other team into big time foul trouble and hope that your offense & defense are really clicking. I had a 68 pt win (spread was -55) over a sim this year. That game was the best we played all year. 

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9355971
4/23/2013 8:24 PM
Start your subs and hit "play subs when game is out of reach"

I dunno, best I got
4/23/2013 10:41 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 4/23/2013 6:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by reisshoosier on 4/23/2013 5:51:00 PM (view original):
now ask us if we care
Why are all of your posts unnecessarily malicious?
That's what trolls do.
4/24/2013 12:04 AM
I only made it to 49. I don't think it would have hit 78 regardless, but I suppose I could have set to uptempo, disabled adjustments, and left the subs when game is out of reach unchecked. Would have been interesting to try the idea tarvolon suggested, about starting subs. Maybe I'll try all that in the home game.

On a somewhat related note, my RPI dropped 19 points overnight, SOS dropped almost 80. Brutal. And I have to play this team again. Having to play the worst team in the world twice means I'm going to have to win the conference tourney, I guess. Now I completely understand why everyone says you have to schedule as tough as you can in DIII, especially if you're in a conference with only a handful of human owners. 
4/24/2013 8:41 AM
You should be okay, I would suspect that a 27-3 type season gets you in the NT.   I would say you could lose two games and still get in the tournament.
4/24/2013 8:44 AM
You should be okay, I would suspect that a 27-3 type season gets you in the NT.   I would say you could lose two games and still get in the tournament.
4/24/2013 8:44 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
"Block this user ->" is awesome!
4/24/2013 9:32 AM
So Reiss trolls under two ID's.  Hopefully there's not a third, fourth, fifth, etc.
4/24/2013 3:54 PM
12 Next ▸
How to cover an enormous spread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.