Who is the fool? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I was under the impression that averages were in play, and not that players had actual feelings and emotions.

I'll side with you, dac.
4/27/2013 1:53 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's because he has only played 11 games.  His average for the entire season is only 6 mpg because he didn't play 3 games.  That should have been the CS response in my mind.
4/27/2013 2:11 PM
Posted by slicknick777 on 4/27/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think it's because he has only played 11 games.  His average for the entire season is only 6 mpg because he didn't play 3 games.  That should have been the CS response in my mind.
He has actually not played in 4 games, but he has played in every game (7) since he complained. In those 7 games he has logged 40, 8, 6, 7, 7, 3, and 6 minutes respectively.
4/27/2013 2:18 PM
Is there a third option?  Both?  okay, no you are not a fool, but that response sure was foolish.

I thought there were averages involved also and that you could overload minutes to bring that average up so the player will be placated, but you haven't done that, at least not yet.  in fifteen games he has averaged 5.6 minutes/game. You're still two minutes behind his target of 7-8mpg.  You can't just ignore games that he didn't play.  Otherwise you could start the guy the first game give him 10 minutes and then bench him the rest of the season.

4/27/2013 2:28 PM
Posted by milwood on 4/27/2013 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Is there a third option?  Both?  okay, no you are not a fool, but that response sure was foolish.

I thought there were averages involved also and that you could overload minutes to bring that average up so the player will be placated, but you haven't done that, at least not yet.  in fifteen games he has averaged 5.6 minutes/game. You're still two minutes behind his target of 7-8mpg.  You can't just ignore games that he didn't play.  Otherwise you could start the guy the first game give him 10 minutes and then bench him the rest of the season.

OK, consider my first post with the response regarding a different player who transferred over a minutes issue:
This next one is more convoluted and I don't have the player emails, but he complained (on 11/1/11), and I didn't respond to his complaints right away (I wasn't paying very close attention at the time), so he gave me the negative action complaint letter (on 11/5/11). I did try to feed him minutes after that when I finally noticed, but I don't have his player info or records anymore obviously. When he quit the team the letter he sent said that since he didn't get the 5 minutes he was asking for he left. Keep in mind that he originally was getting 6.7 mpg when he first complained...
11/16/2011 3:08 AM dacj501
** TIME SENSITIVE ** PLEASE EXPEDITE **
Lyndon Harris, a non-qualifier a season ago who came off my bench for 4.6 mpg this season just quit my team saying he didn't get the 5 minutes he asked for. I've never heard of the margin being so tight that .4 mpg would mean a player leaves. This leaves me without my projected starting PG next season (next 3 seasons actually...) and 7 open scholarships. Is there any chance this is somehow an minor error, perhaps a consequence of the recent change closing that promise loophole, or perhaps just another issue altogether? Is it really supposed to be that tight a window?
If possible, I would really like to have the player returned to my lineup ASAP. It seems silly he would leave over just .4 mpg.
Thank you.

11/16/2011 8:43 AM Customer Support
He complained on 11/1, asking for 1 or 2 more minutes. At that time he was averaging 6.7 per game. So to be happy he's expecting 7 or 8 MPG.
From that time until his follow-up on 11/5, his average dropped to 2 MPG, which is why the follow-up message is negative.
In order to not transfer, he's expecting 5 MPG in the games after the follow-up message. Since he only averaged about 4.5 during that time, he decided to leave.
11/16/2011 8:58 AM dacj501
I deleted my mail for the season, so I didn't have the exact dates and whatnot of what he sent - I guess that it is what it is then...thanks for looking into it...
I would like to suggest for future revisions that maybe somehow players like this could be promised starts for next season - I had 6 upperclassmen and no where to play him. He would have started the next 3 seasons as I was grooming him to take over at PG.
11/16/2011 9:05 AM Customer Support
Thanks for the feedback. We'll take it into consideration for future changes.
11/16/2011 12:24 PM dacj501
I keep logging in hoping to find a message saying after further review we've found something something and the player has been returned to your team - but that's probably not going to happen is it? Makes me very sad heh... I really thought By getting him up to that nearly 5 overall he'd be ok.
11/16/2011 1:33 PM Customer Support
Any time a player asks for minutes and you don't give it to them, there's a good chance they'll leave. You did give him some more late in the season, but it wasn't quite enough.
2/28/2016 10:31 AM (edited)
I think the key here is the full season total number of minutes was just 84

I dont think it works just off the average in games after the complaint.  84 minutes over a 26 game schedule is likely part of the calculus and it is a low number. 
4/27/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by metsmax on 4/27/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
I think the key here is the full season total number of minutes was just 84

I dont think it works just off the average in games after the complaint.  84 minutes over a 26 game schedule is likely part of the calculus and it is a low number. 
mets, we've only played 15 games. he didn't quit yet (and hell, maybe he won't) I just find CS's claim that averages don't matter to be - interesting...
4/27/2013 2:46 PM
is everyone really missing the issue here?

The CS rep (despite strangely referring to players in a manner akin to how parents refer to santa claus) is basically saying that it's NOT the average that matters. Each game that he gets less than his request (7-8 minutes) is a 'bad' game, whereas every game where he hits 7-8 is a 'good' game. the average is irrelevant.

On top of that, i think said system makes more sense than players caring about the 'average' minutes if the purpose of the system is to replicate RL.
4/27/2013 2:57 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 4/27/2013 2:57:00 PM (view original):
is everyone really missing the issue here?

The CS rep (despite strangely referring to players in a manner akin to how parents refer to santa claus) is basically saying that it's NOT the average that matters. Each game that he gets less than his request (7-8 minutes) is a 'bad' game, whereas every game where he hits 7-8 is a 'good' game. the average is irrelevant.

On top of that, i think said system makes more sense than players caring about the 'average' minutes if the purpose of the system is to replicate RL.
In that case, could someone take a look at the box scores from the last 6 games where he went 8, 6, 7, 7, 3, and 6 minutes and tell me what is it that accounts for the drop to 3 vs the other games where he was either very near or at his target? Short of moving him up the depth chart (which I am not going to do because he is currently my 3rd best guard at either position) what exactly is it in my control that I could do to "make sure that he consistently gets the 7 to 8 mins each and every game that he is asking for?"
4/27/2013 3:07 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 4/27/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
He has actually not played in 4 games, but he has played in every game (7) since he complained. In those 7 games he has logged 40, 8, 6, 7, 7, 3, and 6 minutes respectively.
Adding in the 4 games makes his average 5.6 mpg. The missed games count so looking at his average minutes can be misleading. I recently inquired about this for promised minutes. I had a guy that was injured, and at 60%. I rested him until he hit 90%, but he started complaining about his minutes. CS explained to me that if they are able to play the game, then it will count against their mpg. I added those games into his average, and realized I needed to overcompensate for a few games to make him happy again.
4/27/2013 3:47 PM

TELL HIM TO TAKE A HIKE. GO PLAY HOCKEY,SON.

4/27/2013 3:54 PM
Posted by kevin_w64 on 4/27/2013 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dacj501 on 4/27/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Adding in the 4 games makes his average 5.6 mpg. The missed games count so looking at his average minutes can be misleading. I recently inquired about this for promised minutes. I had a guy that was injured, and at 60%. I rested him until he hit 90%, but he started complaining about his minutes. CS explained to me that if they are able to play the game, then it will count against their mpg. I added those games into his average, and realized I needed to overcompensate for a few games to make him happy again.
This exact scenario happened to me once too.

I've reconsidered Dacj, CS is the fool.  Their response seems a little argumentative and silly.  I don't think the game logic is anything close to their response.  I think it is almost entirely random if the guy leaves.

The reason the other transferred is abundantly clear, however.  It is simply because you wanted him to be on the team.  If you actually wanted the guy to leave there is approximately a .000000001% chance that he will leave.  You fell right into the transfer loophole....you wanted the guy.

4/27/2013 4:04 PM
CS and the engine are way off on this one
4/27/2013 4:51 PM
I had a similar situation where AFTER I boosted my guys playing time significantly, he complained.  Idiots CS said this is how life works.. How dumb.  Who would complain AFTER they got a promotion because their time with a company overall has been crappy?  

5/1/2011 11:27 AM yanks250125

Why did my player Broadnax just send me an email saying he is mad about his playing time when he has started the past 4 games and averaged over 21 mpg, and averaged over 15 mpg in the last 7 games? He said he was only getting 12, which is true, and I know it's based on the whole season, but NOW his work ethic takes a hit after starting 4 consecutive games?

5/1/2011 2:15 PM Customer Support
Thanks for the note. It seems pretty clear that you already know the answer to the question. It is up to you how you utilize him. But the guy is a Junior for heaven sakes and he has only started 4 of 9 games so far. And also, so far, he is averaging less minutes than he did as a freshman. You don't like him complaining but if I were in his situation I'd likely consider it to. This isn't a malfunction of the game. This is how life works. Cut the player a break. He's a Junior. Give the time he has earned. If not don't be surprised by his attitude response.

4/27/2013 4:57 PM
123 Next ▸
Who is the fool? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.