Worst Player of the Game performance? Topic

Has anyone see POG stats worse than these?  How on earth did the SIM decide he should get the honor?  Was it his birthday?

http://www.wisjournal.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=9414113
5/3/2013 10:17 AM
Three steals, seven assists to just one turnover. Sounds like he played a hell of a game for a non-scoring PG
5/3/2013 10:31 AM
Yeah it's not even close really. He without a doubt had the best game imo for the winning team. 
5/3/2013 11:08 AM
@thinair and tavolon: You guys are nuts. Look again: Usrey (the SG) had 13 points on 8 possessions used  - 4 FGA, 3 trips to the line (6 fta / 2 shots per attempt), 1 TO. That's 1.625 points per possession, which is absolutely stellar. He also had a rebound and committed only one foul and the opposing starting SG didn't go off, so it's not like his defenses was terrible either.
5/3/2013 12:43 PM
Nuts? I guess, but nothing you just said influences my opinion whatsoever. I can't remember at time when PPP was taken into consideration for player of the game. Having a rebound and commit only one foul is nothing to brag about. Sorry, but I'm sticking with the PG 100%. 
5/3/2013 1:15 PM
From what I've seen, assists in HD are a lot harder to come by in bunches for PGs than in RL. That's pretty impressive that the PG was that good of a facilitator off the bench - the 3 steals are a cherry on top, and are probably what put him over the SG.
5/3/2013 1:24 PM
Ah - I guess I misunderstood your argument, Thinair. I have no idea what criteria the game uses to pick player of the game. I was arguing about who was actually the best player on the winning team.

Apologies for saying "nuts"
5/3/2013 7:52 PM
00:00   77-89 Stanford Jacobs runs out the clock

No wonder he was player of the game....
5/3/2013 9:16 PM
Posted by thinair on 5/3/2013 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Yeah it's not even close really. He without a doubt had the best game imo for the winning team. 
I guess you didn't see Ursey's stats
5/3/2013 9:17 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 5/3/2013 9:17:00 PM (view original):
What's so outstanding about Ursey's stats?  The 1 rebound, the 1 assist, the 1 steal?  Sure he had 13 points, but what else stands out so much?  The only other guy I would even consider besides Jacobs is Johnny Carpenter and his 4 turnovers pretty much disqualifies him.  Hell, for my money Billy Viveros had just as good of a game as Ursey, if not better.  Really interested in hearing why you think Ursey's numbers are so special?

For what it's worth, looking closely, I think the right guy was chosen.
5/3/2013 11:48 PM (edited)
The real thing that stands out to me is, how often in HD do you see 6 guys score in double figures?
5/3/2013 11:50 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 5/3/2013 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Did you read any of this thread? 
5/4/2013 12:09 AM
On the one hand, Mully's got a point, those really ARE some pretty ugly overall stats for a Player of the Game.  But, on the other hand, when comparing him to everyone else on his team, I still believe that the right player was chosen.  We all have our own opinions of course, and this certainly isn't cut and dried, and you could probably make a decent argument for a couple of different players, but again, I think they got the right guy.

Incidentally, does anyone here remember when the POTG didn't automatically have to come from the winning team?  That was a long, long while ago and I guess I'm showing my HD "age", but it did used to happen where a player from the losing team could be named Player of the Game.  I think the change was made because there were coaches who would load up all of their distro onto one player in order for him to score a ton of points and have a chance to get drafted and the POTG program would almost always choose that player, whether his team had won or lost.  It was changed in order to rectify that kind of scenario and it was a good change (kind of).  I still think that a POTG could come from the losing team, but I also believe that he should have a huge "all around" game (a stat stuffer kind of game) in order to be selected, not just drop in a ton of points while his team got crushed.
5/4/2013 12:53 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 5/4/2013 12:53:00 AM (view original):
On the one hand, Mully's got a point, those really ARE some pretty ugly overall stats for a Player of the Game.  But, on the other hand, when comparing him to everyone else on his team, I still believe that the right player was chosen.  We all have our own opinions of course, and this certainly isn't cut and dried, and you could probably make a decent argument for a couple of different players, but again, I think they got the right guy.

Incidentally, does anyone here remember when the POTG didn't automatically have to come from the winning team?  That was a long, long while ago and I guess I'm showing my HD "age", but it did used to happen where a player from the losing team could be named Player of the Game.  I think the change was made because there were coaches who would load up all of their distro onto one player in order for him to score a ton of points and have a chance to get drafted and the POTG program would almost always choose that player, whether his team had won or lost.  It was changed in order to rectify that kind of scenario and it was a good change (kind of).  I still think that a POTG could come from the losing team, but I also believe that he should have a huge "all around" game (a stat stuffer kind of game) in order to be selected, not just drop in a ton of points while his team got crushed.
emy, i dont think you have to worry about showing your age here =) by general level of grumpiness, i think we all assume you are *at least* 110, maybe 120 years old ;)
5/4/2013 12:57 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/4/2013 12:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 5/4/2013 12:53:00 AM (view original):

emy, i dont think you have to worry about showing your age here =) by general level of grumpiness, i think we all assume you are *at least* 110, maybe 120 years old ;)
Close Gill......very close.  107 and 1/2.  Yes, when you get to be this old, believe me, you count every one of those halves...........( you smartass)!  ;^)
5/4/2013 1:14 AM
123 Next ▸
Worst Player of the Game performance? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.