How high of a rating could I pulldown at d3? Topic

Has anyone had any success pulling down a D2 recruit after they have dropped down from D1?  This last recruiting cycle I tried to see if any D1 recruits would give me a "backup" message after they dropped to D2 but had no luck.  The players I tried it with were all rated similar to players I pulled down from D2 but started on the D2 list.  It would probably be rare to see a D1 prospect go D3 but was curious if I should be wasting recruiting $$ trying it.
5/13/2013 7:40 PM
That's really unlikely. You can pull down d1guys within 20 or so miles but it ain't easy.
5/13/2013 8:47 PM
Posted by mschulte24 on 5/13/2013 7:40:00 PM (view original):
Has anyone had any success pulling down a D2 recruit after they have dropped down from D1?  This last recruiting cycle I tried to see if any D1 recruits would give me a "backup" message after they dropped to D2 but had no luck.  The players I tried it with were all rated similar to players I pulled down from D2 but started on the D2 list.  It would probably be rare to see a D1 prospect go D3 but was curious if I should be wasting recruiting $$ trying it.
No. They are either backups to start or not.

That said, A+ teams can recruit certain D1 guys inside 70 (or maybe 100, I can't remember) miles.
5/13/2013 8:58 PM
I did get a D1 guy considering me with my D3 (A+ prestige) once.  But long before the signing period, a D2 team jumped on him and my $2,000 was wasted. 

And the same thing can happen if you are A+ and go for better D2 listed players. You also risk losing more battles vs D2 teams that way.  (But that doesnt stop me from trying for these players, I just am more careful how much I spend)
5/14/2013 5:49 PM
I asked this same question a few months ago and a coach (rednu) posted this response and I thought it was very useful...

"You might be reaching too high for your D2 guys -- do a D3 search for 4-year players and take note of the highest overall rating that appears on that list. Add 25 points to that number and that's the upper end rating you can probably realistically expect to get a backup message from on a local D2 prospect, so if the highest rating nationally on your D3 screen is 450, I'd fire off a note to anyone inside my 300-mile circle whose rating is 475 or less (actually, I'd extend a point or two beyond this, but I've never had a kid beyond the (D3max + 25) range give me the time of day...I'm still hoping for the day I get confirmation that I can expand that range further)."

One thing to add; I don't fire off a note to every D2 prospect in my 360; just the ones I like..
5/15/2013 10:58 AM
I had a great A+ team at Palm Beach Atlantic, and the best I ever got was 504. That was the only one over 500. I did end up pulling down a D1 player once at Emory, but he really did't end up as good as some of the D2s I pulled down. He was in the 480s when I pulled him down. It took a ton of SVs if I remember correctly, like 25. He would have been a very bad D1 player. Ended up around 658 overall.
5/18/2013 7:53 PM
What is the overall strategy to pulldown a D2 guy when you are in D3? I read the "How to win at D2 and D3" post by aejones and he suggested to offer 10 scouting trips and a scholarship... So a few questions... (1) Is that what everyone on here tries? If not, then what have you found to be successful? (2) Also, when is the best time to try and pulldown a D2 guy w/o wasting money? Too early and someone can swoop in, too late and you might not have enough time to convince him. Thanks!!!
5/30/2013 8:31 AM
I don't use pulldowns much anymore.   I wait for guys to drop.

The only time I do  it is when guys are super good, super close (<50 milesso I can pull him down for < $2000)  AND still have enough money for something like 30 HV and a starting spot.   A  D2 team with 4+ open schollarships can still knock you off so you need to jump ship if that guys shows up on him but you'll be able to fend off most d2 teams with <3 open slots.
5/30/2013 8:56 AM
◂ Prev 12
How high of a rating could I pulldown at d3? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.