How big of an issue is an extremely low DU rating? Topic

I can't recall ever signing a recruit with an extremely low DU rating (less than 10).  For those of you who have any experience with that kind of a player, in your experience, how significant is the injury risk?

Thanks

5/14/2013 3:13 PM (edited)
I completely ignore the DU rating. 
5/14/2013 3:15 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 5/14/2013 3:15:00 PM (view original):
I completely ignore the DU rating. 
I do too, but with one below 10 I just didn't know if it actually does start to matter.
5/14/2013 3:16 PM
Not a big sample size, but I signed a kid who started as an 8 and ended at about 15 DU and he had 4 injury-free seasons for me.

Just like kmasonbx, I completely ignore DU and will continue to do so until shown otherwise. Right now, it just seems as though the number of things that have to occur in order for the roaming bulls-eye of fate to settle over a specific kid's head and zap him with an injury severe enough to be anything more than a mild distraction in this game occur so rarely so as to not warrant concern in the grander scheme of things. If the kid had potentials and starting values that I couldn't match elsewhere, I'm signing him and not losing a second of sleep over it.

Having said this, I now look forward to logging in to my teams tomorrow morning to find seven emails from my trainer waiting for me...

5/14/2013 3:26 PM
I also ignore it almost completely.  I've had a few injuries with lower DUR players but thankfully none season ending.  Years ago I remember a conference member had a guy with an ACL tear and was out for the season.  I don't ever recall seeing that since.... most of my injuries have, at worse, knocked a guy out a few games.  DUR also has an impact on recovery time....
5/14/2013 10:44 PM
Since everybody just ignores it (myself included), what would people think if adding some value to it? For example guys with lower than 50 DUR have a plus 50% chance of getting hurt in their careers (or something like that), and guys with plus 90 never get hurt. I don't know, it might be a feature that adds realism, and just another element to the game that one has to factor into their recruiting decisions.
5/14/2013 11:36 PM
Posted by m4284850 on 5/14/2013 11:36:00 PM (view original):
Since everybody just ignores it (myself included), what would people think if adding some value to it? For example guys with lower than 50 DUR have a plus 50% chance of getting hurt in their careers (or something like that), and guys with plus 90 never get hurt. I don't know, it might be a feature that adds realism, and just another element to the game that one has to factor into their recruiting decisions.
At one point, DUR referred to the length of time a player was injured.   I'm not sure, with the updates, if that still applies.   But I'm against adding value to DUR.  I have enough trouble with my teams' academics. LOL
5/15/2013 3:24 AM
Yea, I'm pretty sure DUR as it presently exists, only effects the length of an injury, not the chance that the player will get injured.

It's pretty much useless.

5/15/2013 10:05 AM
I know why injuries are included in the game but I personally have always hated injuries in games, even on Xbox and PS3. I'm playing a video game, I don't want my best players who aren't real beings to get injuries. I used to get so annoyed when in Madden a player got hurt in real life so in the video game you couldn't use him in the online mode. Pretty sure they changed that but how dumb is it that my fake player is injured because the real version got hurt? Lol.
5/15/2013 1:45 PM
I used to get so annoyed when in Madden a player got hurt in real life so in the video game you couldn't use him in the online mode. Pretty sure they changed that but how dumb is it that my fake player is injured because the real version got hurt? Lol.

I've never played Madden online so I had no idea they did this, and I agree it sounds incredibly stupid.

They're trying to add realism to the game, but it's a video game. You should be able to use whoever you want.

I also hate how in the NCAA Football series you have to "discipline" players and assign so many "points" to that. I don't want my fake players having fake issues for me to deal with. I usually just re-set the week in dynasty mode every time a discipline issue comes up until it doesn't come up because I think it's ridiculous.

I also think certain other things included in games - yes, even HD - shouldn't exist. Injuries shouldn't even be there. Get rid of the durability rating. Also, GPA needs to go. There is no point to it at all except to be annoying.
5/15/2013 2:17 PM
I agree with most of what you said bistiza, with the exception of eliminating GPA. I think it adds a fun little random factor to things
5/15/2013 7:34 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 5/14/2013 10:44:00 PM (view original):
I also ignore it almost completely.  I've had a few injuries with lower DUR players but thankfully none season ending.  Years ago I remember a conference member had a guy with an ACL tear and was out for the season.  I don't ever recall seeing that since.... most of my injuries have, at worse, knocked a guy out a few games.  DUR also has an impact on recovery time....
You're best served to ignore it, but you are taking a chance that what might be a minor injury for a guy with a 90 DUR will cost a guy with a 25 DUR a few games.  The likelihood of the occurrence of the injury is identical either way.   

I like having injuries in this game, but my best player ever at DII, Al Bertrand, was injured in the second-to-last conference game of his senior year and had to sit through most of the conference tourney and even when my team lost in the S16, he wasn't over 85% as I recall.  He probably had a little over 40 DUR.   I hate it still, because that team could have won a title with him healthy, but the game would lose all color without complication.
5/16/2013 10:00 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 5/15/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
I know why injuries are included in the game but I personally have always hated injuries in games, even on Xbox and PS3. I'm playing a video game, I don't want my best players who aren't real beings to get injuries. I used to get so annoyed when in Madden a player got hurt in real life so in the video game you couldn't use him in the online mode. Pretty sure they changed that but how dumb is it that my fake player is injured because the real version got hurt? Lol.
They still do that in all the sports games lol
5/16/2013 10:47 PM
Ignore it.  I believe it still affects injury chance, but by far and away injuries are mostly random.  A low Dur might increase the chances a little but 90% of the injury calculation is random so even if that remianing 10% goes from a 1% to a 5% for a low Dur, still unlikely to be injured.  recently had a team where the 2 best players were under 15 Dur (one at an 8 for entire career) and neither player ever missed a game.  I've also had 90 dur guys miss a couple of games.  
5/17/2013 10:35 AM
How big of an issue is an extremely low DU rating? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.