3 open scholarships - 12 scholarships offered? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
No
5/14/2013 10:46 PM
Posted by gvsujulius on 5/14/2013 10:46:00 PM (view original):
No
+1
5/14/2013 10:54 PM
ya, I just offered 3 more scholarships but feel like I really screwed the div II/lower div 1 guys that had spent money on the guy.  Sure, it didn't cost a lot and is a good security blanket but it just doesn't seem to make sense.  If you guys have three open schollies, how many scholarships are you offering at the outset of recruiting?  Thanks for the help
5/14/2013 11:43 PM
If you're talking about your Siena team, I'm only seeing 1 guy considering, and supposedly you've already offered 15 scholarships?  Wow...I've only coached D1 for 3 seasons, but I've landed recruits before, and I take a more direct approach to recruiting...I personally don't employ flak clouds.  You may think you're playing good "defense" but if the guys aren't considering you, then you aren't protecting anything really.

BTW, is this a joke?  I see this is your 16th season in Tark and 7th or 8th at D1 and you're referring to yourself as a newbie?

5/14/2013 11:52 PM (edited)
How many seasons did it take you to stop sucking?  Or does that remain inconclusive?
5/15/2013 3:30 AM
How many seasons did it take you to stop sucking?  Or does that remain inconclusive?
5/15/2013 3:30 AM
I try to never offer scholarships to anyone that I am absolutely sure i want to sign them. 

Heck, I try not to spend money (except for maybe phone calls to see if I am a backup option) on recruits that I am not going to sign.

In Division-1, if you have more people considering you than you have open spots, then you are advertising that you want to battle.  Especially if any of the recruits are considering more than just you.

Every dollar is important ... spending money on 12 recruits when you are only going to sign 3 is, IMHO, ridiculous.  Offering all 12 of those recruits scholarships is unbelievable.  This is IMHO, so take it with a grain of salt.

5/15/2013 9:11 AM
Thanks Hughes-- Appreciate honest feedback and asking the question because I see some of the top guys do this all the time and wondered if I am missing the boat.  I think the most scholarships I have ever offered is about 3 more than my number of open scholarship and have always tried to save my money as you described.  Why is it then that some of the top programs do this every year?
5/15/2013 11:11 AM
Posted by tbird9423 on 5/15/2013 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Thanks Hughes-- Appreciate honest feedback and asking the question because I see some of the top guys do this all the time and wondered if I am missing the boat.  I think the most scholarships I have ever offered is about 3 more than my number of open scholarship and have always tried to save my money as you described.  Why is it then that some of the top programs do this every year?
because for 10 or 110 dollars they can get some pretty good guys to consider them, and for that price, why not?
5/15/2013 12:44 PM
So you're trying to copy the "top schools", only you're not exactly sure what it is you're doing?  Sounds like a plan that's destined to fail and miserably.
5/16/2013 1:14 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/15/2013 12:44:00 PM (view original):
because for 10 or 110 dollars they can get some pretty good guys to consider them, and for that price, why not?
That is actually a loophole that should be closed ... you should not be able to GREATLY over promise scholarships either.  Could you imagine a real program that offered 20 scholarships when they only had 2 spots to fill?
5/16/2013 6:30 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 5/16/2013 6:30:00 AM (view original):
That is actually a loophole that should be closed ... you should not be able to GREATLY over promise scholarships either.  Could you imagine a real program that offered 20 scholarships when they only had 2 spots to fill?
i agree, but while its there, people will take advantage of it, because its a good deal.
5/16/2013 9:01 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 5/16/2013 6:30:00 AM (view original):
The SEC does it in football  :p
5/16/2013 10:49 AM
How do we know they actually offered scholarships? I know some coaches who will scout many internationals early on to see which ones have good potentials. They will have numerous players considering them at the outset because of these scouting efforts, but I doubt schollies have been offered to all of them.

There are also coaches who will take a shotgun approach early on to see who they might be able to land on without competition and then winnow the list down in later cycles.
5/16/2013 1:02 PM
12 Next ▸
3 open scholarships - 12 scholarships offered? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.