I will miss Old Warrior/Iguana Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
what do you mean, miss? did he quit? that would suck, he is/was a great member of the community.
5/21/2013 4:15 PM (edited)
Sucks to hear. I can't really complain about WIS enforcing rules that are already on the books and have been known for ages (at least since I've been here), but always hate to see the great coaches hang it up. 
5/21/2013 5:02 PM
If he's leaving, sad to see him go. Iguana's writings helped me immeasurably my first couple of seasons as I was trying to "get a feel" for this game and probably accelerated my learning curve by a considerable amount (now if someone would just write me a guide for how to get beyond Round 2 of an NT...).

I understand enforcing rules, but at the same time am reminded of a line from Cool Hand Luke..."Callin' it your job don't make it right."

5/21/2013 5:08 PM
I know he's hanging it up with his two teams in Allen. He will be definitely missed in Allen Gulf South - probably the best DII conference in all of WIS, and his team was almost always on top (though it seemed he lost interest as of late). 
5/21/2013 5:30 PM
Posted by gillispie on 5/21/2013 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarvolon on 5/21/2013 5:02:00 PM (view original):
Sucks to hear. I can't really complain about WIS enforcing rules that are already on the books and have been known for ages (at least since I've been here), but always hate to see the great coaches hang it up. 
i understand that point of view, but his teams were picked up in accordance with the rules. until about a year ago, teams could be 10 miles apart in different divisions and it was no problem. thats why i had such an objection when i was moved, not because i hate the rule (which i do), but because the teams were picked up in accordance with the rules and with the attachment people have to their programs, and the overall "switching cost" as they say in economics, i cant see how the off-chance of cheating makes it worth making someone pay that high switching cost, when they never broke the rules in the first place - the rules got changed out under them. WIS should of at least put out a plan/policy for people to reconcile the situation, like when FDR banned hording gold, you could trade it in for fair market value for a certain period of time. but WIS provided nothing, offered nothing.

edit: also think its crap because there are SO MANY other coaches in violation and WIS only cares enough to do something to silence the whiners, not to actually enforce the rule. actual enforcement seems so low on their list, stopping the whiners so high on the list, i just cant respect any system built for that reason (especially built by a guy with SO LITTLE actual game context/understanding)
Fair enough. If they're enforcing it, they should enforce it consistently. 

Also, IMO, if teams were picked up in accordance with the rule, people should get a couple free seasons to offset the switching cost. 
5/21/2013 6:51 PM
He has at least one other team, but I have no idea if he intends on keeping it.
5/21/2013 6:58 PM
smack, you beat me to the punch, was going to start the same thread ... though a bit more vindictive vs. WIS, for putting him up to this with their selective enforcement.

I didn't think he was dropping all teams, just Allen, but I could be mistaken.

In any event, this is Exhibit A for the mind boggling stupidity of how WIS goes about their business. One of the longest tenured and most valuable members of the HD community -- iguana deserves much better.

5/21/2013 8:19 PM
The one problem with that rule is that before FSS there was little conflict with having teams relatively close to each other. And there are plenty of coaches who have had two teams less than 1000 miles apart since those days. So it's obvious they don't have teams close by in order to cheat. 
5/22/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by kmasonbx on 5/22/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
The one problem with that rule is that before FSS there was little conflict with having teams relatively close to each other. And there are plenty of coaches who have had two teams less than 1000 miles apart since those days. So it's obvious they don't have teams close by in order to cheat. 
But they could, in principle, be now used to cheat. So I understand making the rule. But WIS understands that the two teams weren't acquired for the purpose of cheating (as you say), so they should give some sort of credit to offset the loss of a long-standing team. JMO
5/22/2013 4:15 PM
If they are going to have a rule they need to enforce it.

If they don't want to enforce it then abolish the rule.

I am sorry to see someone quit, but rules are rules and they should be enforced ... consistently.

I don't expect WIS to spend their days LOOKING for people who are within 1000 miles ... but if they are informed of the situation then I do think they need to address it.
5/22/2013 9:55 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
I will miss Old Warrior/Iguana Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.