What am I Missing? Topic

Two D2 schools.  I'm an A- prestige, the other school is a B.  We're recruiting right now and there is a recruit 70 miles from me 10 from the other school.  I sent a call at the beginning of recruiting and the response showed the recruit will not play for us (not a backup message).  However the recruit is consdering the B prestige school. 

I'm not sure I understand how that happens.  Is it that I'm actually 71-74 miles away so I don't get the under 70 mile benefit?  That's all I can think of.  Or does the under 70 mile rule have more of a benefit the closer the recruit is to the school?
6/7/2013 11:29 AM
I think you're probably more than 70 miles away  OR the recruit has seen your karaoke video on youtube.
6/7/2013 11:37 AM
Yeah the miles listed are rounded to the nearest 10, from what I understand.  So it's possible the true cutoff is exactly 70 miles and you're actually 72 miles or whatever.  That would be my guess.
6/7/2013 11:55 AM
10 miles is treated different than 70 miles.

The closer you are, the more likely the recruit will consider you.
6/7/2013 1:02 PM
and some randomness.  I had a guy consider me when I was at a B+ prestige who wouldn't consider a conference mate with an A prestige (actual prestige may vary slighlty, but I was definitely lower prestige).  We were both within 70 miles of the guy.

Some guys are just going to tell you no.  Just like sometimes the 160th ranked point guard gives the backup message and the 200th ranked guy laughs at you (at DII of course)

6/7/2013 4:17 PM
Date User
7/6/2012 6:57 PM dacj501
*Please forward to seble. This is not a time sensitive question, so I'll gladly wait for a response. Thank you.*

I have a question about recruiting. 

I seem to remember a situation happening to me, but I might have distorted some things (my memory is not great) - basically, the question is whether or not there is any random element to a recruit's initial reaction to recruiting contact - ie, If I send a phone call to a recruit and get ignored ($10 refunded) could another school (assume both of us outside of 70 miles so there is no impact from that) with lower prestige get a backup message and pull the recruit down? It is my belief that this has happened to me in the past, but I cannot recall which team so maybe I was wrong about the prestiges involved...

7/9/2012 9:44 AM Customer Support
Darryl,

If your school is a valid "backup" option, then you should get a response to phone call. There should never be a case where a lower prestige school is a backup and you are not.

7/9/2012 9:45 AM dacj501
thanks
6/7/2013 6:34 PM
8/14/2012 3:38 AM dacj501
**Forward to seble for clarification please - 

Assuming two schools are similar in prestige and coaches reputation, etc, is there some random factor built in to recruiting that could lead a recruit to favor school x over similar school y? (Assume neither school is within 70 miles or the target's listed favorite school) Could the same kid give the backup option response to school x while being recruitable immediately by similar school y?

8/14/2012 10:58 AM Customer Support
Darryl,

It depends on how similar the prestige. If school A is only a few points higher, that could theoretically be high enough to interest a recruit, where school B is not. There is no random factor.
6/7/2013 6:35 PM
Thanks dac, that should clear that up. Maybe I have the distances wrong, but I am positive about the prestige. Llamanunts was the coach with a higher prestige. Maybe if he is around reading these posts he could verify the distance on he recruit.

Llama, the recruit was a big. I think his lat name was Friends. I remember after recruiting you told me he told you no. It turned out the guy was too good for Virginia union anyway and went to a DI school. The guy would have been awesome at DIII
6/7/2013 8:09 PM
What am I Missing? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.